Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo Swinney talks to media regarding Kyle Parker
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Jun 8, 2010, 5:50 PM

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney met with the media Tuesday morning to discuss quarterback Kyle Parker and Parker's selection by the Colorado Rockies during the major league draft Monday night. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo is great. I love his enthusiasm. And he's right, we

Jun 8, 2010, 5:57 PM

won't make any excuses regardless, and we will be fine.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

A liitle coach double-speak there at the end.

Jun 8, 2010, 6:10 PM

"Regardless of what we do, Tajh Boyd ain’t going to stand on the sideline. He’s got to play. He’s very talented and he’s going to get better and better. To sit here in June and say it’s not Mike Wade, that’s not fair to Mike Wade."

wut?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As people here should be if he goes. Say thanks and good luc***

Jun 8, 2010, 6:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: As people here should be if he goes. Say thanks and good luc***

Jun 8, 2010, 6:20 PM

Yep

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

We're doomed. ***

Jun 8, 2010, 6:25 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Go ahead and sell your tickets. I will give you 100 bucks

Jun 8, 2010, 6:27 PM

for the pair of season tickets. That includes the SCU game. If no SCU game 50

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

I'll sell em all for 10 bucks and a six pack of Red Dog.***

Jun 9, 2010, 8:56 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Dabo is unrealistic, if not disingenuous re: KP's NFL hopes.

Jun 8, 2010, 7:24 PM

I think it makes Dabo looks bad when he claims that Parker can be a very good professional QB-- unless he means arena football. Dabo must know that Parker is a very long shot for the NFL draft due to his 6'0" height. In the last 4 years, and 50 QBs drafted, only 4 QBs under 6’2” have been drafted and ALL were superstars:
1) 6’1” Colt McCoy-- the all-time winningest college QB-- 3rd round.
2) The speedy 5’ 11” Armanti Edwards, who is projected to play primarily as a WR & KR, not as a QB—3rd round.
3) 6’ Pat White, who is projected to play WR or situational wildcat QB/RB-- 2nd round.
4) 6’ Heisman winner Troy Smith-- 5th round.

So setting aside the two QBs who were drafted to play wide receiver (a skill set Parker doesn't possess), we're looking at 2 "short" QBs drafted-- a Heisman winner and the all-time winningest college QB (and Heisman finalist), both of whom were surrounded by stellar talent on teams that played in BCS national championship games.

The NFL values height so they draft guys like 6'3" Keith Null of West Texas A&M (who? where?), over shorter stars like 6'1" Chase Daniel, who went undrafted and landed on an NFL practice squad for $91k/yr, despite his brilliant college career at Missouri. Every once in a while, a "short" QB like Drew Brees gets drafted and makes it big in the NFL, but it's highly unlikely. MLB teams know that. The Parkers know that. Surely Dabo knows that.

For Parker to get drafted he'd basically have to become a Heisman-esque QB (next season by Dabo's stated timeline) despite being surrounded by a questionable supporting cast, including no proven wide receivers. Does Dabo really believe that Parker will be that kind of QB next season? I doubt it.

But hey... if KP doesn't make it in baseball, he can always come back to college a few years from now and play football for Dabo, like Dave Shinkskie at Boston College... except that unlike Shinskie, KP would be a millionaire. How great would it be to come back to college as a good-looking, drinking-age, millionaire starting-QB? World by the balls.

Re: Dabo is unrealistic, if not disingenuous re: KP's NFL hopes.

Jun 8, 2010, 7:27 PM

for a guy that seems to know it all it seems to me that you would know that you have 5 years of eligibility once your clock starts. kyle has been here 3 years so he better start hating on baseball quickly.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Parker has 3yrs of football eligibility, so yes. But...

Jun 8, 2010, 8:31 PM

But considering that I was joking about Parker coming back to play college football as a millionaire, it's hardly worth going into the whole Mr. KnowItAll thing, is it, Mr. KnowItAll?

Which NFL team do you scout for?

Jun 8, 2010, 7:32 PM [ in reply to Dabo is unrealistic, if not disingenuous re: KP's NFL hopes. ]

need to get some skreet cred from you...

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

You can't refute last 4 yrs of NFL drafts, so attack ME? Ha!***

Jun 8, 2010, 7:41 PM

There were 8 starting NFL QB's that were listed as 6'2" or

Jun 8, 2010, 7:34 PM [ in reply to Dabo is unrealistic, if not disingenuous re: KP's NFL hopes. ]

less last season (That's listed height, and we know what that means). Nobody can convince me that there is any significant difference or advantage between 6'2" and 6'0". Besides, Brees has been hugely successful at 6'0" because he's good and he can play. If a QB has all the other attributes, Parker's height won't be a factor.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

6'2"? Sure. But how many 6' QBs drafted each yr? 1 in 4yrs***

Jun 8, 2010, 8:20 PM

I would argue that most of the best QB's simply happen to be

Jun 8, 2010, 8:32 PM

taller than 6', but are not necessarily better because they are 6'2" instead of 6'.

Even if the NFL does prefer taller QBs, it's a fact that being 6'2" and shorter does not matter if you can play.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

You can't prove yourself in the NFL if they don't hire you.***

Jun 8, 2010, 9:30 PM

Of course, but being 6' doesn't mean they won't hire you.

Jun 8, 2010, 9:54 PM

That was my point. Most good QB's happen to be taller (thus most that get drafted are taller), but that doesn't mean that a guy who's good enough otherwise won't get drafted and go on to be successful.

- H. L. Mencken

No, it means that it's incredibly unlikely, per stats above.***

Jun 9, 2010, 3:47 AM

+1 Facts are a b!tch***

Jun 9, 2010, 7:19 AM [ in reply to There were 8 starting NFL QB's that were listed as 6'2" or ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Dabo is helping Kyle to a bigger payday in MLB, thats all***

Jun 9, 2010, 7:42 PM [ in reply to Dabo is unrealistic, if not disingenuous re: KP's NFL hopes. ]

Wow***

Jun 9, 2010, 7:45 PM [ in reply to Dabo is unrealistic, if not disingenuous re: KP's NFL hopes. ]

I gotta say that sounds just a bit desperate.

Jun 9, 2010, 7:15 AM

I can hear the "OH SH!+" in everything he said.

The definition of awesome!

Dabo may be better off if he leaves

Jun 9, 2010, 10:25 AM

Dabo may actually catch a break if Parker doesn't play. Though the ACC is still weak and vulnerable, it is hard to imagine CU being as good as they were last year without CJ, Ford, and parkers security blmket in the passing game, Palmer. Dabo has pretty much had a free pass until now because he says all the right things that makes the faithful feel good about themselves. But if parker leaves, he gets another free pass. If things go wrong next fall, he will cry all fall about how they unexpectedly lost their QB and everyone will go along with that sentiment. But if Parker did come back, they would expect him to be the next Joe Namath, which he is not, and take that next step in the championship game. I don't see that happening no matter who is at QB. But if Parker is here Dabo might hear the first discouraging words.

Re: Dabo may be better off if he leaves

Jun 9, 2010, 10:37 AM

To me, baseball is only interesting when you get to tournement / playoff time... or when your in a bar. I never watch the game on my own, otherwise.

As for Kyle and his future, I say just let the kid go. He'd have a even chance of blowing out a knee in five or six years playing football. With baseball, he'd be healthy alot longer. And he can rake in more money.

And I think that Clemson can take the loss.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic