Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on Reopening Schools from a HS Principal
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

Thoughts on Reopening Schools from a HS Principal

Jul 27, 2020, 11:30 AM

“To say you have no choice is to relieve yourself of responsibility.” ? P?atrick Ness

School and district leaders have been working tirelessly to create plans to reopen schools in the midst of a global pandemic. While these leaders should be commended for the work that they are doing, I fear that it covers over a glaring disparity. That disparity lies between the power and authority of our civic and elected leaders--which is great--and their actual contributions in leadership during this crisis--which is minimal. The function of public education is to create an educated populace who can think critically and independently, discern credible information from falsehoods, and instill within young people an ethic of hard work and dedication to improving the world around them. As an educator, I will concede that this work is done best in a face-to-face model of schooling. However, the effectiveness and feasibility of this traditional model is contingent upon the environment surrounding the school. For example, it would be difficult to instill the aforementioned qualities and skills in the midst of a hurricane or any other external force or act of nature happening outside the walls of the school. Likewise, it is difficult-- in some ways perhaps more so--to effectively educate students within a school when there is an invisible force that is very real, contagious, and dangerous moving within the classrooms.

Of course the invisible force to which I am referring is the COVID-19 virus which has been crippling our country and world since the beginning of 2020. This virus led to the closure of schools from mid-March to the end of the year in the 2019-2020 school year. This sudden school closure forced teachers and educational leaders to quickly adapt to a distance learning model on a scale that has never before been seen. State leaders took decisive action as the virus began to spread to close most of our economy, close schools and government offices, and create some safety nets for those who were placed out of work. As pressure mounted, however, these same leaders set aside data, guidelines previously followed, and logic and reason, to move swiftly to reopening our economy with little to no forethought on how this could be done safely and responsibly. The next step in this insanity was to make a blanket statement requiring that schools reopen fully in the fall with no guidance, resources, support, or even a simple recognition of the reality in our state and country--that the virus was spiraling out of control again.

In this moment, educational leaders across the state did what they are well-accustomed to doing--filling in the gap left in the wake of the cowardice, political expediency, and dishonesty of our state and local civic leaders. They began creating plans that tried to meet the nebulous and incredulous demands being dictated by our Governor, President, and Conservative leaders to reopen schools--consequences be damned. Meanwhile, these same leaders made no efforts to address the inequities, lack of internet access, and discrepancies in educational funding for our most vulnerable communities so that schools could take seriously their commands and move toward fulfilling them safely and responsibly.

It makes one wonder if these leaders in fact even believed what they were saying? The fact that many schoolchildren in South Carolina do not have access to high speed internet was quickly glossed over in a July 15th press conference led by Governor McMaster and presented as an irrefutable reason for why schools needed to reopen fully. These same leaders stated that there were many schoolchildren in South Carolina who were being abused within their own homes and this was presented as another unquestionable reason for schools to reopen fully. Schools were presented as bulwarks of our society and critical vehicles for ensuring the mental, social, emotional, and physical health of our students--particularly our students living in poverty. While I do not disagree with these services which are provided by public schools, the sheer weight of this responsibility being placed squarely on the shoulders of an underfunded public school system in South Carolina should make clear the dire situation that we have created by a lack of responsible and courageous leadership and responsibility.

What I gathered from Gov. McMaster’s press conference is that he, much like our president, takes no responsibility for his failures to lead. He takes no responsibility for these failures because we do not ask him to. Instead, we shift his responsibility and accountability to a school system that serves as universal daycare, healthcare, food service, mental health provider, social worker, law enforcement official, and athletic club that can occasionally focus on developing independent thinkers.

By shifting the focus from his own failure to the mandatory reopening of schools--so long as Molly Spearman does his bidding for him--a sleight of hand was deftly acted out for anyone who was paying attention to see. While the hypocrisy, lack of integrity, and intellectual dishonesty was plain to be seen, what came next was perhaps just as disheartening. Rather than speaking truth to power in this moment and holding Gov. McMaster accountable for his inaction, school districts across the state moved to acquiesce to his unfunded, ill-conceived, and unsafe plan almost immediately. Sadly, Molly Spearman followed suit by giving orders to school districts to include face-to-face without referencing the dire reality of COVID-19 spread in our state due to the ineffectiveness of our state leadership to create safe conditions for South Carolina schools to provide their essential services to the youth of our state. Moreover, these plans were shared with the stakeholders in our school districts as plans which were going to be put into effect regardless of the spread of COVID-19 in our communities.

This communication was directly caused by the pressure placed on school districts by McMaster and legislators pushing for an unconditional reopening of schools. It also gave the same effect as McMaster’s July 15th press conference--an unrealistic view of reality for the general public. What I mean by this is, if you tell people that schools are reopening as usual even though the situation on the ground is dangerous and cases are on the rise, people are much more likely to be complacent in their efforts to combat the spread of COVID in their communities thinking, “if schools are reopening, I guess everything must be fine”. This is dangerous, irresponsible, and shows a dreadful lack of leadership and responsibility on the part of McMaster and our state leaders. Unfortunately, our school districts are playing right into their hands and will ultimately take the blame when students, teachers, and communities are impacted by the spread of COVID caused by unsafely reopening schools.

I don’t want to simply share what has not been done and what shouldn’t done; however. What if the communication coming from school districts and the state department of education was unified and went something like this:

“As educators, we are unequivocally committed to the success of each student as they grow within our educational system as effective learners, ethical people, and contributors to a better world. We also know that our educational system functions best and has the most experience functioning in a face-to-face model where teachers are able to build strong relationships with their students, inspire students to pursue important questions about their lives and the world around them, and to equitably provide services to students with a wide range of needs. Unfortunately, we are living and working in a state that has been let down by its elected leaders.

Rather than taking decisive action to protect our most important asset--our children and their future--as the COVID-19 virus began spreading at a higher rate this summer, there was a paralysis of leadership caused by politics, a lack of courage, and a lack of moral will to do what is right over what is politically expedient. In addition, state leaders have responded recently with unfunded and patently absurd mandates to reopen schools fully. This inaction and unwillingness to accept responsibility for their failures has brought us to a situation where it is simply not safe to reopen schools in the way that best serves students.

Thus, we will be beginning the school year in a virtual setting that seeks to identify unique needs that students have (e.g. parents working outside of the home, lack of internet access, special needs, etc.) and providing differentiated and individualized support for all students to safely access their educational experience. If we work together in the coming weeks and months, we can achieve what is needed in spite of the inaction of our elected leaders and slow the spread of COVID-19 to a level that provides a safe environment for reopening schools for some face-to-face delivery of instruction. As we come together by wearing masks, limiting unnecessary exposure by dining outside or using take-out, not participating in large gatherings, and monitoring our symptoms closely, we can create the change that we want and give our students what they so desperately need--to return to school.”

While I recognize that this statement sounds lofty and seems to advocate for educational leaders treading into areas reserved for public health officials and elected officials, this simply brings to light the reality that there is no one else willing to take up this mantle of responsibility. The failure of Governor McMaster to take needed steps to address systemic inequities tied directly to a lack of funding and political will to remedy in our educational system is not a problem for school leaders to fix. The failure of Governor McMaster to take courageous action to stem the tide of COVID-19 cases and preventable deaths is not a problem for school leaders to fix. School leaders should create plans that do not attempt to pick up the slack from Governor McMaster and our elected officials, rather, they should be focused on creating plans which place the health and safety of their teachers, staff, and their families above all else.

Finally, there is a false choice that is being presented by our cowardly leaders--this choice pits people against teachers by saying that one has to choose between protecting the health and safety of teachers and offering students a “normal” educational environment. Thus, teachers are supposed to willingly move into uncharted waters by working in an environment that is not being replicated anywhere in our country at this time. Corporate offices are not having in-person meetings with 20-25 people in a closed room setting for 75-80 minutes at a time because it is unsafe! Yet, teachers are being told to do this for 6-8 hours per day. Government officials are not having in-person meetings of this size in closed settings because it is unsafe!! Yet, they are providing a call to action for teachers to do this for 6-8 hours a day. It’s time to simply look at this for what it is...our elected leaders are in a rush to get teachers and students back into the classroom so that they can forget about them and their needs again and go back to business as usual.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every elected official should be required to send their kids

Jul 27, 2020, 11:43 AM

or grandkids to public schools this year.

And if there is a shortage of teachers, bus drivers, custodians etc. due to illness, then fill in as a free substitute.

Non-compliance should result in a 180 prison sentence.

My guess is perspectives would be slightly modified.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More smuggery from an Educator

Jul 27, 2020, 11:48 AM

who thinks he knows what is going on in businesses that are judged by the bottom line. Does not care to understand what parents are going through trying to make a paycheck.

Grocery stores are open, workers there are taking proper precautions.
Govmt offices are open to a great extent, workers taking proper precautions.

I simply do not understand the premise that teachers CANNOT SAFELY teach students in a classroom environment.....

The part you’re missing is that those workers are at risk

Jul 27, 2020, 11:52 AM

Are contracting the virus. And are dying.

And from what I’ve seen in government offices, it’s far from business as usual.

It’s not uncommon for me to be in a 30,000 sqft office building and be among maybe 10 or less workers.

There’s a big difference between stocking shelves and sharing an enclosed windowless room with 18-25 kids for 8 hrs/day.

We have a decision to make by August 5 for our kids. It’s not an easy one.

Not missing anything

Jul 27, 2020, 11:55 AM

Everything carries a risk....

And which risks are worth taking? Schools in this

Jul 27, 2020, 11:57 AM

state have closed for influenza outbreaks during non pandemic years where 30+% of the population contracts it.

How will things look in late October, November when the seasonal diseases are stacked on top of this pandemic?

We could very well end up in another shutdown situation. Time will tell.

Maybe...or flu season could be a lot more mild...

Jul 27, 2020, 2:33 PM

based on increased mask usage and focus on social distancing and hand washing.

I'm pulling for the latter.

I’m hopeful for that. No one is rooting for the virus here

Jul 27, 2020, 3:15 PM

people are just wanting to be cautious and preserve as much life as possible.

Sure, but like any other case, caution has limits/...

Jul 27, 2020, 3:19 PM

balance with other prevailing interests.

Otherwise, all interstates would have a speed limit of 35mph...which would drastically reduce traffic deaths.

School zones have speed limits of 25***

Jul 27, 2020, 3:23 PM

Look up high....

Jul 27, 2020, 3:29 PM

that's my point going over your head

I understand what you’re saying. We’ve increased speed

Jul 27, 2020, 3:35 PM

limits over time. Cars have gotten safer. We’ve spent years developing better collision mitigation tech and now collision avoidance tech.

This is a novel virus that with one mutation could prove deadly for those younger and younger. It’s apples and oranges.

But when it comes to schools and school buses we’ve implemented laws to mitigate risks.

Makes sense. Had to speed read. But....from the governor's

Jul 27, 2020, 11:48 AM

perspective.....he's looking at reality. We have to let this burn. Why? Because if school is online, parents are home. If parents are home, many are not working. If they're not working, they're not earning money. If they're not earning money, they're not paying taxes. If they're not paying taxes, teachers and principals will lose jobs and/or take massive pay cuts. Support staff will be axed.

It always helps to know exactly where your paycheck comes from.

That being said, I think elementary is safe. I think middle and high schools should be virtual until they can lower the spread. Ironically, having schools online will help lower the spread, probably as much as masks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree hole-heartedly! Also, some hot spot areas

Jul 27, 2020, 11:51 AM

may have to stay virtual until the situation improves there.

Re: Agree hole-heartedly! Also, some hot spot areas

Jul 27, 2020, 11:59 AM

so you agree whole heartedly with this educators smuggery? Had Tiggity made the exact same post, would that have influenced your opinion on the matter?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yur a #######, balm, read Tigg's post

Jul 27, 2020, 12:45 PM

Tigg doesnt agree with the educator...

To be fair, he's argued to me that elementary schools should

Jul 27, 2020, 1:59 PM

open on a hybrid model and middle and high schools remain virtual for now. That's what he's advocating in the essay, as he's a high school principal.

Tiggity's post: "That being said, I think elementary is safe. I think middle and high schools should be virtual until they can lower the spread. Ironically, having schools online will help lower the spread, probably as much as masks."

I'm not sure why you're calling anyone a dumbass. Apparently we're all in agreement.

Balm misread mine and Tiggity’s posts

Jul 27, 2020, 3:43 PM

robertn

Balm never fails to leap from exile in the mange to jump on my posts. He screwed that one up....

Your last paragraph sums up his thoughts on it.***

Jul 27, 2020, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Makes sense. Had to speed read. But....from the governor's ]

^^^ 100% aligned. HS hybrid schedules are good options

Jul 27, 2020, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Makes sense. Had to speed read. But....from the governor's ]

in some communities with low transmission. It could offer some opportunity for extra curricular activities.

They’re alternating two days in, three days virtual

Jul 27, 2020, 2:22 PM

In the public schools here, split by last name.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm just curious what these parents do during a normal

Jul 27, 2020, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Makes sense. Had to speed read. But....from the governor's ]

summer when their kids are home and they have to work.

I had no idea parents had every summer off from work since they obviously have no options.

Teachers are not your kid's babysitters.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: I'm just curious what these parents do during a normal

Jul 27, 2020, 3:02 PM

and not very good teachers either, based on test scores.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A lot of our workers have kids...

Jul 27, 2020, 3:13 PM [ in reply to I'm just curious what these parents do during a normal ]

and were impacted when schools closed. Some had family that could watch them and others couldn't find anything for their kids and had to be out on extended FMLA at 2/3's pay.

A lot parents make special summer arrangements for their kids...summer church programs, camps, etc...which, of course, a lot aren't happening this summer. There are a lot of parents in really tough positions right now.

We had to let a lady go today because she ran out of extended FMLA time and used up all of her PTO and vacation time (and then some). She wanted to work, but had no one to watch her daughter. Horrible situation, because she didn't want to quit and we didn't want to lose her, but we also couldn't run the production line with her position missing all of the time.

Respectfully, I think "teachers aren't your kid's babysitters" is a pretty naive and simplistic view.

"If you can't support your kids then you shouldn't

Jul 27, 2020, 3:20 PM

have them"

Remember that little Republican chestnut?

If you can't afford to have a babysitter, you shouldn't have kids.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So are tax refunds being issued?

Jul 27, 2020, 3:29 PM

You're acting like parents and other citizens aren't paying teachers to teach.

Teachers are paid to educate

Jul 27, 2020, 3:30 PM

Teachers will still be working on educating with the virtual option.

Many people work from home. Are they not suppose to get paid for doing their job?

Parents during a normal year:

Jul 27, 2020, 3:32 PM

"Get those disruptive kids out of the classroom, teachers aren't babysitters"

Parents this year: "Babysit my kids"

Message was edited by: FBCoachSC®

This might shock you, but most of them

Jul 27, 2020, 4:13 PM

Want you to educate their kid, think in-person learning is better than remote, and are comfortable with the risks involved.

It never ceases to amaze me how you stay year after year in a job where you clearly despise your customers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People that are working from home....

Jul 27, 2020, 4:20 PM [ in reply to Teachers are paid to educate ]

presumably are able to do their job to an acceptable level from home. I actually pulled all of the office folks originally sent home back in the office some weeks ago, because many of them couldn't be as productive working from home and it was hurting our operations.

It is my opinion that virtual/e-learning is not an acceptable level of education for grades K-8...maybe higher...and that is just core classes that have a chance to be virtual. Meaning it is not as good as in-person learning.

We had a baby sitter. Just like normal. Things were fine.

Jul 27, 2020, 3:23 PM [ in reply to I'm just curious what these parents do during a normal ]

Then her parents both ended up in the hospital with the rona. So that bright idea was nixed.

So our oldest is "babysitting" again and he's just a shade better babysitter than #### Butkus.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thoughts on Reopening Schools from a HS Principal

Jul 27, 2020, 11:52 AM

sounds like he needs to resign

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s been considered.***

Jul 27, 2020, 11:53 AM

One statement made sense...

Jul 27, 2020, 1:01 PM

... there is an invisible force that is very real, contagious, and dangerous moving within the classrooms.”

~~~INDOCTRINATION of Lawlessness & Division.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You really think that's going on in SC public schools?

Jul 27, 2020, 1:06 PM

Damnnyallcanbedumb

Since this is a friend of yours, can you pass along

Jul 27, 2020, 2:11 PM

That it would have been way cooler to start out with:

“If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice” — Neil Peart

I tried, but he chose free will.***

Jul 27, 2020, 2:14 PM

You can choose from phantom fears like a

Jul 27, 2020, 2:20 PM

Virus that can kill, I will choose a path that’s clear, I will choose home school.

I have to admit, I have a hard time lending credence...

Jul 27, 2020, 2:32 PM

to someone's opinion that takes that tone.

Seriously...does this sentence even make sense?

"It’s time to simply look at this for what it is...our elected leaders are in a rush to get teachers and students back into the classroom so that they can forget about them and their needs again and go back to business as usual."

Right, there can't possibly be any other reason that elected officials are pushing for in-person schools other than so that they can go back to forgetting about teachers and students. This guy sounds like prick.

Re: I have to admit, I have a hard time lending credence...

Jul 27, 2020, 2:35 PM

Occam's razor IMO based on past actions from the state

Jul 27, 2020, 3:04 PM [ in reply to I have to admit, I have a hard time lending credence... ]

legislature. It's law that the schools must be properly and fully funded. They haven't been in over 20 years.

Is that really true though? They tore down my middle and

Jul 27, 2020, 3:16 PM

high school so they could build new palace-like facilities a few miles away. Mt. Lebanon elementary school in Anderson is reminiscent of the Biltmore House. It's kind of like buying a $1mil lakeside villa while complaining about not being able to feed your family.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Per pupil funding from the state yes. Local districts may

Jul 27, 2020, 3:27 PM

vary as they raise money via property taxes.

Lexington 1 and 5, pretty well funded. Teachers still spend OOP to furnish their classrooms, but the AC works and the computers are from this century.

Your Jasper counties, etc. not so much.

Wait...so it's more simple/believable....

Jul 27, 2020, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Occam's razor IMO based on past actions from the state ]

in your mind that elected officials want teachers/kids to go back to school so that they can return to forgetting about them over that elected officials knowing that many parents can't work without school being in session, or that it's better for students to have in-person learning, or any number of other reasons?

I can see why you're friends with the principal!

It's a bit of an abrasive ending yes, but based on the

Jul 27, 2020, 3:28 PM

actions of the legislature over the past 2 decades, coupled with what ol' Henry just tried to push through with the vouchers, it's hard to see it otherwise.

He votes Republican and is a churchgoer***

Jul 27, 2020, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Wait...so it's more simple/believable.... ]

and?***

Jul 27, 2020, 3:30 PM

Meaning it’s possible to not tow the party line

Jul 27, 2020, 3:33 PM

and criticize those you support. Our states track record on education is abysmal

*toe****

Jul 27, 2020, 4:16 PM

Voice to text goat Med again***

Jul 27, 2020, 4:32 PM

I miss the old days

Jul 27, 2020, 4:37 PM

when technology didn't provide viable excuses for general dumbassery.

still "and?" what does that have to do with the a-hole....

Jul 27, 2020, 4:22 PM [ in reply to Meaning it’s possible to not tow the party line ]

tone of the letter and stupid statements contained therein.

(not to mention the inaccurate use of Occam­'s razor)

It’s the simplest explanation to me but then I’m cynical

Jul 27, 2020, 4:32 PM

As is this entire board.

I'm not cynical at all, but I hear you say you're cynical

Jul 27, 2020, 4:33 PM

and it makes me think it's something more sinister and you're just covering it up.

OK..liking robertn a little more but remember this virus or another

Jul 27, 2020, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Occam's razor IMO based on past actions from the state ]

will be here year after year and they must go to great ivey league or California colleges since these unseeable little buggers change up their dna as such and come at us even faster.

Wish they were visible or at least a nice pink color, like PeptoBismo.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic