Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: "Calamity of errors" haunts Clemson defense in second half
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 5,904

New Story: "Calamity of errors" haunts Clemson defense in second half

Sep 28, 2014, 7:01 AM

"Calamity of errors" haunts Clemson defense in second half

Defensive coordinator Brent Venables didn't mince words when talking about the effort of his defense in the second half of Clemson's 50-35 win over North Carolina Saturday night, saying it was a "calamity of errors." Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GATA***

Sep 28, 2014, 8:01 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes

Sep 28, 2014, 8:25 AM

a change at half time would be good. When is the last time this team played TWO halves??? Will not work next week against the wild dogs!

Make BV head coach already

Sep 28, 2014, 8:20 AM

he is never satisfied and that's the way a head coach should be.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: Make BV head coach already

Sep 28, 2014, 8:49 AM

What I love about BV is he always makes himself and coaches accountable and supports his players unlike Mr, I never make a mistake Morris.

Why would anyone do that?

Sep 28, 2014, 9:45 AM [ in reply to Make BV head coach already ]

BV gives great post-game interviews. But the product on the field is what gets you promoted to HC.

Clemson is 76th in the nation in Scoring Defense, giving up 27.5PPG (and yes, that includes all games to date including SC State). This defense was supposed to be special... shutting down opponents and breaking records. That's obviously not happening.

All I'm saying is that I don't get very excited by BV's interviews.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You aren't entirely wrong, but we've played a couple of

Sep 28, 2014, 12:50 PM

very good offenses in UGA and UNC. There was nothing wrong with the performance of the D at FSU and the 27.5 ppg is a bit inflated by 1 KO return for TD, 1 fumble return for TD, and 1 TD to FSU in OT.

The inconsistency of the defense is frustrating, but they've played 13 quarters of good or even great football and 3 quarters of really bad football.

Sep 28, 2014, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Make BV head coach already ]

Never satisfied? No one could be satisfied last night with the D. They lost their intensity.

Sep 28, 2014, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Make BV head coach already ]

Why are we turning on Dabo? Dabo's a great head coach. He's accomplished more than West or Bowden ever did, and he's a great recruiter. Dabo has intangibles. Besides, if Dabo is ever replaced by someone on his staff, it will be Morris, not BV. I've never been impressed with any of BV's defenses.

Sep 28, 2014, 1:28 PM

Besides, the Gamecock "curse" for Dabo ends this year. We beat them BIG in the Valley this year.

Sep 28, 2014, 6:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Make BV head coach already ]

Hopefully Morris becomes a head coach after this season somewhere else, He is the furthest thing from head coach material. Other than Watson he has added virtually nothing to recruiting, We need to get Laurence Riley from ECU who actually understands offense and can adjust on the fly. Morris just copied Malzone's playbook,

?

Sep 28, 2014, 3:11 PM [ in reply to Make BV head coach already ]

To quote Tony Montana, "Who put this ####### thing together? Dabo, that's who." Dabo recruits on a very high level in his players, and knows talent when he sees it in a coach (CCM 2 years removed from coaching high school ball and Dabo takes a chance with what he saw). We pay our coordinators well for a reason, as we do Dabo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: "Calamity of errors" haunts Clemson defense in second half

Sep 28, 2014, 8:33 AM

Lost focus and intensity. All too common for us. we have series where it is almost like the D isnt there. Disappointing considering what we know it can be.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If our O could have ran the ball more then

Sep 28, 2014, 8:55 AM

our D wouldn't have been on the field as much in the second half. That's more troubling. Just saying.

Re: If our O could have ran the ball more then

Sep 28, 2014, 1:14 PM

I agree with this. A big part of finishing games is being able to run the ball and control the clock. I'm not saying our RBs aren't playing hard, but somebody needs to step up in that area.

He's got to be frustrated. We played lights out in the 1st

Sep 28, 2014, 8:56 AM

half against UGA. We played 4 quarters against FSU. We played Danny Ford defense in the first half last night.

Is it a strength & conditioning issue? Is our defense too tired in the 4th quarter? Can't focus?

The 4th Q defense last night looked like a different team than the 1st Q defense.

Re: Because practices are too easy

Sep 28, 2014, 9:02 AM

95% of all coaches (including Dabo) are terrified somebody might get hurt in practice! Thus, most practices are a walk/run thru. Not nearly enough intensity. That is also why the Oline sucks bad and can get no movement!

The defense was embarrassing and

Sep 28, 2014, 10:34 AM

nearly cost us the game. When you are up 36-14 late in third quarter, and end up giving up 35 points and very nearly 42, something is wrong. We had our usual bust playe, which like Venables, I thought we were beyond those this year. But one drive wasn't a bust play, they just came down the field on us in chunk plays and ended up with a 10 or 12 yard run into the endzone right in front of the student section. I have been coming to Clemson games since 1971 and I think that defensice performance on that drive was the most embarrassing I have seen in those 43 years. We are lucky they didn't score to make it 50-42, because things would have gotten real scary at that point. I'm not even sure this is a good defense and it makes me wonder what kind of talent we'd have to have to put a decent defense on the field. We are not going to ever be much more talented than we are this year on defense. Calamity of errors is almost right, but the true description would be a calamity of a defense. The whole thing was a calamity.

Re: The defense was embarrassing and

Sep 28, 2014, 12:45 PM

They played their arses off, ya there was a hangover from that emotional FSU game but I think our D is sensational. Remember Elijah Hood was a 5* RB coming out of highschool last year and obviously he is talented and Williams was the most athletic QB we've seen thus far, so give credit where credit is due. They will learn from this and I'm confident in our boys coming out next week and shutting down a very elusive NCSt QB. Go Tigers!

At some point our coaches are going to have address their

Sep 28, 2014, 10:37 AM

responsibility for the mental illness that pervaded Clemson football for years now. Inexplicable bed crapping is always right around the corner. Recruiting elite talent will never be enough to have an elite program as long as we have coaches who pretend there isn't a fundamental problem with our team's mental condition.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That might be the root cause of that "C" word we keep hearin***

Sep 28, 2014, 2:05 PM

Sep 28, 2014, 1:18 PM

Everyone, PLEASE relax. I know it was scary, but we will be just fine defensively. I'm more concerned with not being able to run the ball. That scares ME to death. Can y'all imagine what a weapon(he's already a weapon, I know) Deshaun would be if we had a good running game? Lawd! Lack of a running game also accounted for the extra time the D had to spend on the field. We simply could not "milk" the clock. A running game would really help our D immensely. We better have a running game vs NC State, or it's gonna be a long day.

clemson had over 34 mins of top last night.***

Sep 28, 2014, 1:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 28, 2014, 7:25 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: "Calamity of errors" haunts Clemson defense in second half ]

Totally agree. The offensive line lost leverage a ton of times for cut back lanes and to the outside. We dont have a big pysical runner and haven't in quite a while. We had a lot of dancing behind piles which happens with young running backs. Remeber, even Spiller did that early. Our recievers did not block well at times on those slip screens which are not that great a play when you have speed on the D. You add the sideline as an extra defender so one missed block and you are screwed. On the flip side the OL seemed to be pretty good on pass protection. Perhaps they go backwards so much that going forward is a culture shock and for what ever reason we don't run many counters or miss directions. As much as the pundants proclaim Watson to be the key to the run, I sincerely hope we don't do it very much..he's way to valuable to get gunned down.

Defensively it looked like we over pursued at times in the 2nd half.How hard is it to block a guy running in the direction you want him to go anyway. It was like we were so eager to tackle that we lost contain because we had people that didn't stay home. Seems like we got our butts kicked on crossing routes which is usually a sign of a safety and/or LB not being patient in a zone. I'm sure we'll get better on D but I think we are going to see some butt ugly plays until these guys concentrate for 4 qtrs. Definitely NOT a lack of effort.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 28, 2014, 2:47 PM

Simple resolution. You know what is not working on D, so spend the week fixing it. On the Offensive line, they (Coaches) know that our run and pass blocking is weak, so Crack down and work the daylights out of both this week. Use the same intensity week after FSU loss. NC State is going to be a long tough game if some things don't get fixed and fixed quick

I'm about to get blasted

Sep 28, 2014, 8:46 PM

I can feel it, but I'm gonna say it. I love coach Swinney(disclaimer). But when coach Swinney turned into "Dabo the Benevolent", and put Cole in the game, in the 1st half, the mo shifted. He sent a signal that was read loud and clear by the defense. "we got this, ease up". In a game that is powered by rythm and momentum, why shift QB's like that? The 4th quarter, if the game is in hand, is a perfect time to put in back-ups. It reminded me of the 2013 SC State game, defensively. OK, fire away.

Replies: 25
| visibility 5,904
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic