Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Dabo knew last year's Tigers could be special; what does 2012 hold?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 60
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Dabo knew last year's Tigers could be special; what does 2012 hold?

Apr 23, 2012, 10:35 AM

Dabo knew last year's Tigers could be special; what does 2012 hold?

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney knew before last season started that 2011 could be special, saying, "If you are gonna get us, you better get us now." Four teams got the Tigers last year, but does 2012 hold the same promise? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What did the great prognosticator forsee in Spring 2010?***

Apr 23, 2012, 10:46 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most of you.

I wish Sept 1st would get here already!***

Apr 23, 2012, 11:04 AM

Don't you DARE jinx us, David!

Apr 23, 2012, 11:10 AM

You had better knock on wood or something right now!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: Don't you DARE jinx us, David!

Apr 23, 2012, 12:24 PM

I knocked on my head, which is wooden, so I hope that counts.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm holding you personally responsible if we suffer a

Apr 23, 2012, 12:53 PM

bunch of injuries in key positions.

;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Dabo knew last year's Tigers could be special; what does 2012 hold?

Apr 23, 2012, 11:56 AM

did Nuk change his last name to Watkins?
Would be great to have a pair of Nuks or Sammys.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Dabo knew last year's Tigers could be special; what does 2012 hold?

Apr 23, 2012, 11:57 AM

Weapons of mass destruction, indeed

Clemson

How about a win against south carolina.***

Apr 23, 2012, 12:56 PM

You'll get 100% agreement on that one. We simply

Apr 23, 2012, 12:59 PM

cannot endure a sweep by the class of '13. Gotta stop this foolishness now.

Re: You'll get 100% agreement on that one. We simply

Apr 23, 2012, 1:12 PM

I would not want to be in Dabo's shoes if he fails against them for the 4th straight time.

Why?

Apr 23, 2012, 4:09 PM

He's not going anywhere barring a complete collapse. Clemson fans don't demand coaches be held accountable and the administration likes that he's clean and cheap.

Plus we named the field after the only other coach to lose four straight to our feathered foes. How does Frank Howard Field at Dabo Memorial Stadium sound?

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because he

Apr 23, 2012, 4:24 PM

is having a difficult time getting the powers to extend his contract to at least as long as The Chad's. If THAT's not a sign of discontent and lack of confidence, I don't know what would be. Right now, Chad and BV have longer contracts than Dabo. For the Coordinators to have greater job security than the Head Coach, is unheard of.

Do you remember the last time we gave a contract extension?***

Apr 23, 2012, 5:12 PM

Re: Because he

Apr 23, 2012, 7:18 PM [ in reply to Because he ]

you're not dannyfan in diguise,are you?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The danger with making predictions is

Apr 23, 2012, 1:10 PM

that you really don't KNOW what your opponents have. You know your team and players. But you don't know how much your opponents' players have developed. You don't know how good new coaches added to your opponents' staff are. You just don't. Predicting is a crap shoot, especially when your knowledge of your opponents is limited.

To be fair no one we play this year shuld be more talented

Apr 23, 2012, 1:35 PM

we just didn't show up and play our best in those games we lost last year. Steele's D was crap all year and when our O began to sputter we had no chance in those games.

Next year everyone is aware that the Ol is the big question mark. I'm not concerned about the D under Venables but the Ol is young and we start the season in the Georgia dome, historically a horrible place for us.

If the OL develops well then in all honesty none of the teams on our schedule will have enough D to stop out O.

FSU would disagree.

Apr 23, 2012, 2:40 PM

And I think Carolina has better talent at the lines of scrimmages where games are won.

FSU has no offense

Apr 23, 2012, 4:00 PM

They are stacked at D but it didn't help them last year and they still have an anemic offense, to be kind. No rushing threat and I am still not conviced that Manuel is that great of a passer.

SC's OL is decent but it won't have as much talent as our DL this year. Our talent is young but it is still more then whoever is lined up across from them.

SC's DL will again be legit but it is losing some key players.

Re: FSU has no offense

Apr 23, 2012, 4:07 PM

You lose 3 starters on the OL plus your top 2 reserves. You lose 3 starters on your DL plus a DE reserve. Carolina returns more starters on each line of scrimmage than Clemson, starters who blew away last year's senior-dominated Clemson lines of scrimmage. 3 of Carolina's starting linemen on EACH side of the ball got post-season honor recognition.

You left out "where games are won"

Apr 23, 2012, 5:13 PM

Seriously, if you are gonna post don't post the same crap over and over and over....and over.

Re: You left out "where games are won"

Apr 23, 2012, 5:16 PM

Just responded to the same statement with the facts.

Kind of. We don't "lose" anyone, they're technically already

Apr 23, 2012, 6:25 PM

gone.

I didn't say you didn't respond with facts, just throwing a jab because you are very repetitive in your posting.

Re: Kind of. We don't "lose" anyone, they're technically already

Apr 23, 2012, 8:25 PM

I'm repetitive only because the same topic comes up over and over.

Then why do you reply to them?

Apr 24, 2012, 9:07 AM

Fact is are well aware that our lines are suspect. i'm just saying that I'm less concerned about the OL as I am the DL

"...You Better Get us Early..." ??????

Apr 23, 2012, 2:32 PM

meaning "cause you won't get us as the year progresses..."???? Well, need I remind everyone how that prediction turned out? They "got" us.... not sure how much insight Dabo has about his teams. Last year year's comments would indicate....not much.

I think you misread the article. "Get us early" as in

Apr 23, 2012, 3:37 PM

get us this year or next because once this talent develops it'll be a real challenge to win one against Clemson. Agree or not, THAT is the intended interpretation of that phrase. Nothing to do with how individual seasons progress.

Someone didn't read the article!!!***

Apr 23, 2012, 5:13 PM [ in reply to "...You Better Get us Early..." ?????? ]

Replying to my own post... Sorry,

Apr 23, 2012, 8:07 PM [ in reply to "...You Better Get us Early..." ?????? ]

I didn't read the full article before posting. My bad. Makes more sense now. But none the less, as proud as I am to be a Tiger, I'm not going to act like we finished strong just because we won the ACC last year. Hogwash. We got worse as the season progressed. Carry that "momentum" into this season with a weak OL and we've got trouble on our hands, boyzzz!

Calling a season "special" when it had 5 losses, with 3 of

Apr 23, 2012, 3:11 PM

those losses being blowouts, is laughable. Especially when one blowout was the 3rd straight beat down by the coots, and another being the most embarrassing game in Clemson history when it was also the biggest game Clemson has played in over 20 years. Even worse, that "special" team flat quit after getting punched in the mouth in two games when 1 play didn't go their way. Calling it a "special" year simply because we won a putrid ACC shows just how far Clemson football, and expectations, have fallen.

You obviously haven't competed for much...

Apr 23, 2012, 3:13 PM

...if you think winning the ACC isn't something to be proud of.

Was the ACC great? No. Were there issues (some you pointed out)? Absolutely.

But to be so belittling on what was accomplished shows a lack of actual competitive spirit.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

That's why I pull for ACC teams.

Apr 23, 2012, 3:46 PM

I'm tired of people making fun of the ACC ("tallest midget, blah, blah, blah"; "winning the ACC is like winning a Special Olympics event: you are still retarded").

I know it will make our job harder but, I welcome FSU and Miami getting back to their glory days. It then will make winning the ACC mean something big. The way FSU and Miami have been recruiting in the past 2 or 3 years, they will get there.

Its great to win the ACC, but you folks are acting like we

Apr 23, 2012, 4:08 PM [ in reply to You obviously haven't competed for much... ]

won a national title and ignoring the blowouts and poor inconsistent play. Yea, we won a crappy ACC, but we were still a mediocre team. It was not a special year or team. Period.

42 scholarship freshmen, and still won the conference

Apr 23, 2012, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Calling a season "special" when it had 5 losses, with 3 of ]

Appreciate the potential. Also appreciate how infrequently that happens. It's special.

BS everyone has the same number of players.***

Apr 23, 2012, 4:09 PM

Every team had 42 freshmen?

Apr 23, 2012, 5:14 PM

That's weird.

Don' be stupid. Every team has 85 schollies and brings

Apr 23, 2012, 6:17 PM

in 25 players a year. The make up of the starting 22 and 2 deep chart is a coaching decision. Since Wake routinely redshirts most of their players they have close to 50 freshmen and redshirt freshmen every year.

Re: Don' be stupid. Every team has 85 schollies and brings

Apr 23, 2012, 6:48 PM

Wake never has 50 freshmen.

You forgot to subtract the people they are actually redshirting, which doesn't count toward total freshmen count.

So if Wake brings in 25 freshmen, redshirts 15 of them. Then a year later brings in 25 more freshmen and redshirts 15 of them again.

Wake would have 25 total freshmen that would actually have the chance to play.

Re: Don' be stupid. Every team has 85 schollies and brings

Apr 24, 2012, 1:46 AM

I think you are totally missing out on what is being said. Clemson had 42 freshmen on the roster, including freshmen and redshirt freshmen. Redshirt freshmen do count towards the total freshmen count. How else would Clemson have that many freshmen on the roster? I must have missed where they signed 42 freshmen in a season. So yes, I would bet Wake could have a lot of freshmen (maybe not 50 actually, but close).

Even if they did have "50 freshmen per year," Wake doesn't

Apr 23, 2012, 6:58 PM [ in reply to Don' be stupid. Every team has 85 schollies and brings ]

routinely win the conference. The year they did (2006), if they had a majority-freshmen roster (as you are suggesting) then that was special for them as well. Just because you weren't happy with the results doesn't mean the season wasn't special. It also doesn't mean Clemson should accept 4 losses. The season should have been a year to get inexperienced players time to develop for 2012 and 2013. Instead Clemson pulled off 3 major upsets in a row and won the conference. That's pretty special and only looking better in the future!

What are you smoking? 3 major upsets? who?***

Apr 24, 2012, 2:28 AM

Re: What are you smoking? 3 major upsets? who?***

Apr 26, 2012, 12:25 PM

What does it take, in your mind, so it to be successful? What wins are necessary? 13-0? Well, guess that means LSU blew last year, too. Coots too, along with almost every team. Does it take an ACC Championship? Obviously not, it seems. Sure, the OB was a beatdown, no one's happy about it, but you cannot hang a season on one game, even if it was the last and ignore the things that haven't been done in 20 years. Isn't it true that we achieved something that hasn't been done in 20 years? Wouldn't that mean we're better than we have been in at least the past 10?

I don't think anyone is saying we couldn't have played better last year, but you have to give credit where it's due. We won our conference. We won all home games. We beat 3 ranked teams 3 weeks in a row. What do you want? And don't give the "ACC sucks" argument, there's nothing we can do about that at the moment, so it's a useless defense.

What are the criteria? And I can't believe you don't think the Auburn, VT, and FSU games weren't worthy of praise.

Clemson

At least our rings are for winning something....

Apr 23, 2012, 3:45 PM [ in reply to Calling a season "special" when it had 5 losses, with 3 of ]

And after 20 years without a conference title ... only a starving man can truly appreciate the value of a banquet.

A few folks did indeed take Dabo's advice and "catch us early." It will be interesting to see if they can do so now and into the future.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Calling a season "special" when it had 5 losses, with 3 of

Apr 23, 2012, 4:00 PM [ in reply to Calling a season "special" when it had 5 losses, with 3 of ]

how are you getting 5 losses? idiot. must be a coot.

First of all we only lost 4 games.

Apr 23, 2012, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Calling a season "special" when it had 5 losses, with 3 of ]

Secondly I don't remember many fans calling this a special year. it was very good year and a better one then we've had in a long time. We won our division for the second time in 3 years with very young talent, a new OC and a D that i'm sure some high schools could whip.

We then proceeded to curb stomp VT for our first ACC title in 20 years.

We had a lot of low points, true, but we still had a pretty good year.

Also, if our expectations were low then we would have been fine with what happened this year. We're not. hence Steele being let go, grabbing Venables, and an even more focused staff and players who want to achieve even more.

Yes 4 not 5, my bad, but it was not a very good year, there

Apr 23, 2012, 4:12 PM

were more bad than good. Ir was only a good year cause we won the ACC and 10 games, but both of those are grossly overrated. The ACC sux and 10-4 is not the same as the old 10-2.

If it was overrated more teams would do it

Apr 24, 2012, 9:13 AM

winning 10 games is not easy. I really can't see how you can't concede anything.

I admit that losing those 4 games was horrific thus most Clemson fans not being satisfied with the end of the year. This was not a great year, but you have to admit that it was a good one considering all the things that were stakced against us at the beginning of the year.

Brutal schedule, new OC, new QB, underclassmen at skill positions, suspect DC, and having to play a load of freshmen.

I don't care about the number we had on the team but only Texas actually played more freshmen last year then we did. When you have to rely on so many young players that shows that you haev a young team.

I'm with you.

Apr 23, 2012, 4:15 PM [ in reply to Calling a season "special" when it had 5 losses, with 3 of ]

Sadly, we are the minority.

I don't think some people realize how important reputation is to recruiting, and therefore the future of your program. Clemson's reputation, nationally, is in the ####### at the moment, and deservedly so.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If our reputation is in the ####### then how did we pull in

Apr 23, 2012, 5:16 PM

two consecutive top ten classes (from espn)?

How did we pull in the most 5 star players after going 6-7?

Reputation plays a part, but in today's age not as much as it used to.

Thats great but only lasts for so long. Kids aren't stupid

Apr 23, 2012, 6:26 PM

and other coaches know how to use every bit of ammo to recruit. At some point we must start winning against some good teams and start finishing in the top 20. Otherwise kids will see we bring in great recruiting classes, but never field good teams. Other coaches will say ... "yea, go to Clemson, the biggest day of the year there is signing day and the occasional ACC championship, but you'll never be on a team that competes for a national championship".

At some point even 18 year old kids will see Clemson is an under achiever that does less with more. Yet you folks will still be on here praising Dabo.

Re: Thats great but only lasts for so long. Kids aren't stupid

Apr 23, 2012, 6:40 PM

Go back to your real name Blue Caddy !!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thats great but only lasts for so long. Kids aren't stupid

Apr 23, 2012, 6:45 PM [ in reply to Thats great but only lasts for so long. Kids aren't stupid ]

Auburn
FSU
VT 2x

There are some "good teams."

Finished 22nd in AP and USA today polls and we are ranked top 20 on most preseason polls I've seen.

And with the limit on recruits and scholarships the "never compete for a national championship" thing really only helps teams like Alabama and LSU.

I mean Florida won two MNC's in 3 years and look at them now.

Auburn lost everyone, FSU was not and has not been good

Apr 24, 2012, 2:26 AM

in years, and VT had an easy schedule and was the ONLY good games we played all year. We were owned by the coots, again, owned by a bad NC State team, and blistered by a WVu team that is from the only major conference worse than Clemson, and the Big East is a hoops conference that had a 3 way tie for conf. champion.

Also we won 10 games and won the AC yet still didn't

Apr 24, 2012, 2:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Thats great but only lasts for so long. Kids aren't stupid ]

finish in the top 20. Why? Because the ACC and Clemson are currently a joke!!

Florida had Urban Meyer, who is now gone, and the inmates were running the asylum.

Everybody plays by the same rules and based on the new scholarship numbers head coaching and coaching in general are more important than ever!

We have assistant coaches with more head coaching opportunities than Dabo. That says all you need to know about what people outside Clemson think of Dabo.

You folks are the biggest excuse makers and biggest dupes I've ever seen.

Re: Also we won 10 games and won the AC yet still didn't

Apr 24, 2012, 3:26 AM

You sound like a coot because you do not sound like a Clemson fan! Its pathetic the way you are talking about our team! Yeah we lost a few games last year but I am still ### proud of my tigers and proud to say I am a die hard fan!

Darn well better be a win over the coots.***

Apr 23, 2012, 3:58 PM

Seriously? Did I just read that?

Apr 24, 2012, 1:23 AM

What an ear-tickling POS article. I get it. Tigernet won't pay the bills by being honest. And, Clemson people love to be told their crap don't stink, their kids are the smartest, and the Tigers are always on the cusp of greatness.

However, in so many words, by saying "get us now" Dabo really said 'wait till next year.' Wow. We've turned into Coots.

Being talented and winning a mediocre conference doesn't amount to much when the Tigers lose by 20 to South Carolina and get pounded in a bowl game. After reading this, I don't ever wanna hear about delusional Gamecock fans again. We've got our own issues to handle.

Re: Also we won 10 games and won the AC yet still didn't

Apr 24, 2012, 3:21 AM

So what you expected clemson to win 14 games and the title with a brand new offense, a first year starter at qb, unknowns at the wr posistion, and loss of 7 key players on the defensive side of the ball. Id say granted it got ugly at times Dabo has made the correct hires and has Clemson pointed in the right direction.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Special? I guess 70-33 was especially humiliating.***

Apr 26, 2012, 12:08 PM

Troll***

Apr 26, 2012, 12:15 PM

How did 56-17 feel?***

Apr 26, 2012, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Special? I guess 70-33 was especially humiliating.*** ]

Replies: 60
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic