Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question: Should the Committee have to pick champs first?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Question: Should the Committee have to pick champs first?

Dec 3, 2017, 3:07 PM

If you go "best four teams", you can understand Alabama's inclusion. Only a blind man would argue that Ohio State is better than Alabama.

On the other hand, there's that "deserving" word...and the fact that B1G and Pac-12 fans are undoubtedly clicking off in record numbers. (That "inclusion" word.) When it mattered, Alabama didn't get it done...and rightly or wrongly, the B1G and Pac-12 were excluded, meaning, their fans aren't likely to be nearly as interested to watch the Sooners and three Southern teams play.

Should the Committee be compelled to pick from among Conference Champions to make the playoff field?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. Championship should only be a consideration.

Dec 3, 2017, 3:11 PM

If we had smaller conferences and a round robin format within each conference then I could live with it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question: Should the Committee have to pick champs first?

Dec 3, 2017, 3:14 PM

What’s the point in having a playoff if you don’t want the best teams included?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

As a Coot, this should ring especially true for you:

Dec 3, 2017, 3:16 PM

If you can't even win your division, you're not among the best.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As a Coot, this should ring especially true for you:

Dec 3, 2017, 3:21 PM

So what do you do about an undefeated Notre Dame? Saban made a great point this afternoon on the show. Power 5 teams should only play other power 5 teams. That would make these debates far more equal since the line to compare would be easier to identify.

ND can join a confernce if they want to be the best

Dec 3, 2017, 3:23 PM

or they can hope for a good bowl

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yet Saban schedules 3 cupcakes every year

Dec 3, 2017, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Re: As a Coot, this should ring especially true for you: ]

He was even against going to 9 conference games when the vote came up. I know he said different today. But he usually LIES,tells what ever will help him

Saban was for allowing only conference champs in...

Dec 3, 2017, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Re: As a Coot, this should ring especially true for you: ]

...before he was against it.

Go back to humping your overweight sister, you insufferable ####.

Re: Saban was for allowing only conference champs in...

Dec 3, 2017, 5:07 PM

Sorry puddin. Should have posted a "trigger warning." My bad.

How is the best ?

Dec 3, 2017, 3:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Question: Should the Committee have to pick champs first? ]

Auburn's not in because they had to play the Conference championship, needing to beat a UGA twice to get in. A UGA team that Bama avoided.

Sure OSU losing to an unranked team by 31 playing their 3rd string QB, just just gave them the excuse they needed to shove Bama in.

Mind U ,this makes the Coots no better ,as ESPN has said all day that everyone in the SEC is mediocre besides Bama ,Auburn and UGA.

Even Saban said that LSU wins more games if they play in the Least .

Re: How is the best ?

Dec 3, 2017, 4:00 PM

Why are you asking me and not the OP who definitively said Bama was a better team?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Dec 3, 2017, 3:16 PM

No, not always. Simply put no team in the BIG or PAC12 did what it took this year to be included. Especially OSU with the way they lost. That being said not even winning your division should exclude you from the playoffs as well.

Yes.

Dec 3, 2017, 3:34 PM

1.Why play your conference championship if it means squat?
2.This year two teams from same conference in.How much longer can ratings lost from other conference viewers be ignored?Will you watch a national championship game with two SEC teams?

Re: Yes.

Dec 3, 2017, 4:08 PM

CFP LLC, at the direction of the 10 FBS conferences, is trying to put the 4 best in. Conference champion is just a data point that can help. I don't see how it would hurt a teams chances, though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, eventually you'd have a 3 loss conference champion.***

Dec 3, 2017, 3:42 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2017, 4:08 PM

I think if there's any broad desire to keep the Playoff itself from expanding to 6 or 8 teams, there better be more at stake in the conference championships. They should function as a quarterfinal based on conference performance, then the committee can decide which champs deserve a spot in the semifinals. This keeps power decentralized from the committee in some respects and still makes the regular season W/L record actually matter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

Dec 3, 2017, 5:13 PM

Agree 100%. A lot of the nation will be tuned out. West of the Rockies and north of I 20/I 40 will see this as a regional competition. While they may submit that The four best teams got in, deep down they would like to see a BIG and a PAC 10 team get the chance to complete.
Georgia earned the right to represent the SEC in the playoffs. If the SEC is so good, they shouldn’t need two teams in the playoffs to optimize there a chance of winning a championship.

NO!!!, If I recall in 2006....

Dec 3, 2017, 5:51 PM

#16 Wake Forest beat #23 Georgia Tech 9-6 for the ACC Championship. What a travesty if they had been one of the 4 CF Playoff teams. Believe it or not, a similar situation could happen in any conference in any year. Look how close Doreen was to playing Miami for the championship this year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. As long as it's a Top 4 thing it shouldn't be a

Dec 3, 2017, 6:13 PM

prerequisite.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2017, 6:43 PM

Well, three out of four conference championship games absolutely made a difference. If you're a two-loss team, your ability to carp should be limited. OSU had a chance to overcome that outrageous Iowa loss by playing outrageously well and routing a weak-resume Wisky. They won but it was a bit in "meh" fashion.

OSU had no chance against us- Bama might be a game. They got it right.

It's tempting to argue for an expanded playoff but I think that will have to wait for a year when someone is legitimately screwed as in all five conference champions being undefeated or one-loss. Then the screaming can begin.

Expansion will come eventually though because they're leaving a load of money on the table. Excluding the BIG and the Pac will absolutely drop viewership and let's face it, the goal here is not the game or it's players but the selling of insurance and beer.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic