Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Yesterday Finebomb said DaBO can’t be considered as good as Spurrier yet, BUT when
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Yesterday Finebomb said DaBO can’t be considered as good as Spurrier yet, BUT when

Feb 22, 2019, 2:27 PM

he put up a comparison chart of both coaches side by side, it was amazing how well or better Dabo had done!

Saying..Dabo had more overall wins, better winning %, more Natties (2-1), close in Conf championships (4-5), etc.

When this graph was shown & it was obvious that both coaches were about even and Dabo still has 20+ more years to go..

Paul said it didn’t matter that they appear about even since you need to take into account that Spurrier won at several schools, was a Heisman winner, beat Dabo head to head (5-2?), was an innovator, etc.

Geez, the old fart is so wrapped up & bias!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who cares if a coach won the Heisman when rating

Feb 22, 2019, 2:30 PM

them as coaches.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who cares if a coach won the Heisman when rating

Feb 22, 2019, 8:08 PM

I mean who really cares what Finebaum thinks about any subject? Especially anything Clemson related. He's a SEC homer media hack.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo's already won more NCAA Championships, has a better

Feb 22, 2019, 2:34 PM

winning percentage. Do I need to say more?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yesterday Finebomb said DaBO can’t be considered as good as Spurrier yet, BUT when he

Feb 22, 2019, 2:40 PM

It's a good thing I couldn't give two craps what that goober thinks. Who cares what that SEC homer says.

They Forgot He Was an EPIC Drunk***

Feb 22, 2019, 3:13 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Over 27 seasons, Spurrier won 6.5 conference championships

Feb 22, 2019, 3:21 PM

Dabo has won 5 in 10 years. How did they even come close to justifying this comparison?

Snowflake Basher........Out

Dabo is a big reason Spurrier quit coaching CFB.

Feb 22, 2019, 3:22 PM

Spurrier knew what was happening after Dabo spanked that butt in 2014.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

kinda like Saban at halftime in the CFP this year.***

Feb 22, 2019, 5:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Yesterday Finebomb said DaBO can’t be considered as good as Spurrier yet, BUT when he

Feb 22, 2019, 3:42 PM

I consider Spurrier to be in my top 3/5 of college coaches. He can coach. Period. He won hardware at Duke and Florida while at least minimizing the dumpster fire at uOFsc. Truthfully, Spurrier likely had a harder path to get his wins (inferior programs). Dabo on the otherhand had to overcome the most dominant program in college history for his TWO title... as compared to Spurrier getting a in-season rubbermatch.

Spurrier 5-9 against Bobby Bowden as compared to Dabo's 1-1. or Dabo is 2-2 against Saban but Spurrier was 3-1 against Saban. So against the greats of their era, similar but hard to decipher as it was in the early/late part of careers.

My other thing, it is hard to compare active vs retired coaches. You still have a big blank resume from Dabo... while Spurrier puts him high shelf he isnt Saban/Bryant title heavy, bur rather he to garbage programs and turned them into something better (SC is garbage but not a heap of filth under him).

Personally, I like Dabo better...

Feb 22, 2019, 4:13 PM

Spurrier was a good coach, no denying that but to not put Dabo on par with him is nuts. The whole point is to win championships and Dabo has 2 already. Even if he never gets another one he has done his job. I really don't understand why Spurrier gets a pass for winning at Duke or USC but Dabo gets penalized for winning at Clemson. When Dabo took over we were a 8-4 team at best and usually fighting it out for that or 7-5. That is not some high quality program he took over and just got nudged over the edge to titles. It took him years to put his stamp on this program and he should be recognized for turning a mid level program into a top 2 program in the country.

Does anyone honestly think if Dabo got the job just about anywhere in the country that he wouldn't turn it around and make it great? Just because he hasn't left Clemson and done it somewhere else doesn't mean he couldn't.

I also don't understand why Dabo gets penalized for playing in the ACC yet someone like Bobby Bowden doesn't?

It very simple, really. Dabo is

Feb 22, 2019, 4:30 PM

a cheerleader, not a "real" coach. Venables is the real brains behind Dabo's success. These are the same clowns that pegged Watson as a running QB, think Lawrence can't handle pressure and Clemson can't hang with Bama... because, well, it's Bama. ALTHOUGH WE HAVE OUTPLAYED THEM 3 OF THE LAST 4 TIMES WE'VE PLAYED THEM AND WON TWICE!!!! (Sorry, lost control.) They don't rate our Fab 4 DL that high in the draft (they have a few others above them) but they didn't think Reader was particularly good, Beasley was too light and Jarrett was too small.

Please, national media, please don't give us respect. Our team seems to really be motivated by it... although, at this point, I think they are so focused that it's just background noise.

Re: Both are great coaches

Feb 22, 2019, 4:49 PM

Spurrier changed the way college football offenses (especially in the SEC) played. He was the modern HC of his era (1990s in Florida) just like Dabo is today. Dabo was on the leading edge of the most recent culture change in CFB and Spurrier was passed by. Given his age and where he was when he left in 2015, I'll give him a pass. I will bet even today Spurrier is a better game day coach than Lumpy (WM).

Then that's all the proof you need that WhineBomb

Feb 22, 2019, 5:16 PM

is a complete b00b.

Dabo vs Spurrier

Feb 22, 2019, 5:20 PM

It is impossible to compare Spurrier over 26 years at 3 schools to Dabo at 1 school for 11 years. It is also impossible to compare the two men when 14 years of Suppier's career he was coaching at lousy football schools.

But you can compare the best 8 years each man had in their careers YTD

Dabo........86% winning records, 5 conference championships, 2 Nattys in his best 8 years.
Spurrier....78% winning records, 5 conference championships, 1 Natty in his best 8 years.

Dabo's best is better than Spurrier's best so far.

It will be interesting to see how the two compare when Swinney has been a head coach for 26 years.
BTW DABO will only be 65 years old when he completes his 26th year as a head coach if he coaches that long.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spurier is the best coach of his generation.

Feb 22, 2019, 7:08 PM

He changed the game, not many can make that claim. He also went to USuCk and did something which is impossible. He gave the respect on the national stage for five consecutive years. They almost had an impact on their conference.

I do not believe Saban could do that nor could he ever have done what SOS did at Florida. That's why I say SOS was the premier coach of his generation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo is why Spurrier is

Feb 22, 2019, 7:12 PM

No longer coaching in college. Period.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You got me all wrong, brother.

Feb 22, 2019, 7:25 PM

I didn't compare Dabo to SOS. Sos is of another generation. Imo, with the changes in the game from generation to generation coaches and players can't be compared.

I would never compare QBs from the 1980s to those of today. It's not fair to either. Imo, comparing Dabo at the beginning of his career to SOS at the end of his is the pastime of a fool.

I'm sorry but if you insist I will point out some of the factors which make SOS the best coach of his generation. I know that will offend people here and I take no pleasure in giving credit to a hateful son of a bi1ch like SOS. If you push me I'm first going to open the flood gate revealing why I find him a despicable prLck before I tell you why he was such a generational coach.

My distaste for the mulla fulker does not cloud my respect for who he was when he brought a team onto the field or what impact he had on NCAA football. I'm mean as all gitout but I'm not ignorant and I assure you, I know exactly what I'm talking about.

I will embarrass you if you push me. I'd embarrass Finebaum on this subject too. That is not my goal nor would it be my pleasure. I view this entire exercise as tomfoolery.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You got me all wrong, brother.

Feb 22, 2019, 11:39 PM

That’s just embarrassing

Re: Yesterday Finebomb said DaBO can’t be considered as good as Spurrier yet, BUT when

Feb 22, 2019, 8:44 PM

Finebomb is forgetting pedigree. Spurlid had it handed to him as a young'un. He got the Heisman, played in the pros and rolled into coaching. On the other hand, just a few years removed from his sting as head cheerleader (according to chicken fans), Dabo won two National Championships. That is talent. The best.

Re: Yesterday Finebomb said DaBO can’t be considered as good as Spurrier yet, BUT when

Feb 22, 2019, 11:06 PM

Did firebomb take into account spurrier's time in Washington. Dave's done nothing like that.

Feb 22, 2019, 11:30 PM

Dabo's done nothing like that. My memory may be fading, but it seems to me spurrier's early Florida teams were the Oklahoma of that generation. All offense but until better defensive coaches and players came in he couldn't quite get over the hump.

Also, I can't separate the coda huh from the man. He is a despicable, vindictive POS man who very rarely passed up the opportunity to put down opposing coaches, teams, universities, or fan bases. This is from my memory of his behavior and I have no links to offer.

Spurrier was 5-8-1 vs Bobby Bowden***

Feb 22, 2019, 11:11 PM

He's correct

Feb 23, 2019, 6:33 AM

Finebaum is 100% spot on, Spurrier is clearly the better Coach ........ In his entire career, Dabo hasn't won a single AAF game.

Re: He's correct

Feb 23, 2019, 10:22 AM

And Dabo has never lost a single NFL game. I think those 2 stats more than balance out in Dabo's favor.

Feb 23, 2019, 9:24 AM

Spurrier ran like a chicken from Dabo knowing how Dabo was going to humiliate him. Paul continues to be a SECondplace homer that shows his ignorance about football.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic