Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
corndoggers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

corndoggers

Dec 29, 2019, 9:09 PM

is this an LSU insult ?

why don't I know this ----

Can everyone please pot all the insults I can hurl at the LSU fans I know ??????

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Yes..it's the insult they got so angry about when we last...

Dec 29, 2019, 9:48 PM

..played them, but don't know origin of it, maybe something to do with their perfume down there?

LSU explanation (long!) of why LSU fans smell like corn dogs!

Dec 29, 2019, 10:04 PM

"HEY CORNDOG!"

First time I heard that I didn't even know it was directed at an LSU fan.  Even after it was clear the opposing fan was taking his finger out of his nose long enough to point and compare me to a battered mystery meat log on a stick, it just didn't make any sense.  

Well, count on your buddy Mike A. Tiger to hunt down the truth of the matter, and it evokes the Forrest Gumpism that "Stupid is as stupid does."  So here is the real story of the corn dog reference and how it came to be.  And why those Tiger fans who know the history are laughing even harder about it now.

About eight years ago there was a "flaming insult" contest on the Internet sports message boards between Iowa and Iowa State fans. Since corn is the state's main agricultural crop and Ames is closer to Des Moines than Iowa City, and the Iowa State Fair takes place in Des Moines, some witty Hawkeye wrote a brief treatise entitled "Why Iowa State Fans Smell Like Corndogs" which became an instant hee haw classic in the region.

Within a month or two, some enterprising and frustrated Auburn fan looking for an angle picked up on the Iowa piece, changed the title to "Why LSU Fans Smell Like Corndogs," added a few references to Louisiana and posted it on his Faux Tiger Woe Eagle message board.  Yuk yuk.  Then Bama fans, who pick over the entrails of every Internet scrap left by their rivals, pounced on it.  From there it spread to the rest of the SEC.  LSU fans smell like corndogs.  You can read the Auburn version here, although this Auburn fan site does not tell, as Paul Harvey used to say, "the REST of the story."

The original piece was moderately funny and totally appropriate for Iowa humor but has no cultural reference for Louisiana people. I made Baton Rouge my lair for 25 years and Mikey can tellyou the only place he's seen corndogs is at fairs where the traveling carnies set up their wagons. Think about it: Louisiana is world renowned for its food and music, why would anyone prefer frozen corndogs to any of our innumerable food choices?

Why is this such a laffer for us?  At our world renowned tailgates you smell lots of great food cooking, and yes, a good bit of it is fried. Fried shrimp, gator bites, oysters, catfish, hushpuppies, boudin balls, whole turkeys, you name it.  Never seen a corndog around Tiger Stadium - although one concession stand inside the visitor section of Tiger Stadium features carny food and (blasphemy!) corn dogs are on the menu.  

Now think about the culinary contributions of Alabama.  Time's up.  So an Auburn fan does not have any kind of sophistication to tell the difference between fried stuffed oysters and a corn dog. So we smell like fried shrimp? So what's your point? You really want to compare our food with yours? Better to talk football!

So Auburn (and Bama) fans think its high comedy to say we smell like corndogs, but we should now think it's much funnier that they can't distinguish great food from a breaded lanced hot dog.  

Also consider that it's a statement about the ethics of the Aubie who first posted it. He couldn't come up with anything creative himself, so he plagiarized a dig from Iowa and just changed the school name. Great job, Billy Joe. Glad all your buddies are equally ignorant.
So let opposing fans troll all the corndog "Coonass Traps" on the sidewalk they want as we approach.  We should wear the insult like a badge of honor, and tell them that their Bubba Gump Imitation Shrimp Dinner is about warmed up and we're too full of gumbo and jambalaya to bother with it. 

awesome

Dec 31, 2019, 3:43 PM

great writing and info

so funny where people come up with insults ....

null

https://bamahammer.com/2011/10/31/the-corndog-story-lsus-nic***

Dec 29, 2019, 9:56 PM

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic