Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is Virginia the best team we have faced this year?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Is Virginia the best team we have faced this year?

Dec 1, 2019, 3:13 PM

Nobody talking about our conference championship foe at all.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is Virginia the best team we have faced this year?

Dec 1, 2019, 3:14 PM

Sigh

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

gamecocks beat ga

Dec 1, 2019, 3:15 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A&M***

Dec 1, 2019, 3:26 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They're especially difficult when you factor in all the

Dec 2, 2019, 1:56 PM

free timeouts they get.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Dec 1, 2019, 3:26 PM

Yes. UVA has been getting better all year. 28th overall D the last I checked. But, like Dabo says, we’re playing Clemson next week. I do want to see our oline come out and be dominant. Still wish we’d have stuck with lay at TE though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2019, 3:29 PM

Agree - keringantoo … not sure why we didn't ….

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Dec 1, 2019, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Is Virginia the best team we have faced this year? ]

didn't someone post that Galloway will be eligible soon ?? maybe for play-offs ??

Dec 1, 2019, 4:03 PM

Available for playoffs. At least he’s been able to practice. Be our secret weapon!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2019, 3:31 PM

That question is kind of like asking who it the tallest midget.

Re: Is Va the best team we have faced this year? UNC beat

Dec 1, 2019, 4:03 PM

the coots. But then everyone else did too so yes. Most likely Va is our best opponent to date

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes....I would rank our opponents like this...

Dec 1, 2019, 4:04 PM

Obviously, unc was the toughest game, but based on the season as a whole, I would rank them like this.

1. UVA
2. Texas A&M
3. Louisville
4. Wake
5. UNC
6. Boston College
7. FSU
8. SCAR
9. Syracuse
10. Charlotte
11. Ga. Tech
12. NC State
13. Wofford

Re: Yes....I would rank our opponents like this...

Dec 1, 2019, 5:50 PM

I believe SCAR should be below Wofford and charlotte they both gave effort

Re: Yes....I would rank our opponents like this...

Dec 1, 2019, 5:54 PM

And Wofford scored 14. Not too many teams can claim that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2019, 5:25 PM

Their offense is...pretty bad. Or at least one-dimensional, and that dimension is called Bryce Perkins.

The Cav O statistically rates 82nd out of 130 teams, averaging just 390 a game. They pass pretty well - 38th - and average 261.8ypg. That's the good.

The bad: their run game is terrible - 109th out of 130, rushing for just 128.4...but really, it's worse than that, because their QB Bryce Perkins is equal (or better) to Deshaun Watson as an athlete and can outright murder you as a runner. The problem with that is that Perkins is also by a bunch their leading rusher (687 yards on 196 carries) and their next-leading rusher - Wayne Taulapapa - averaged just 4.0 yards a pop on just 103 carries, meaning he gets not even nine carries a game and hasn't impressed much when he did tote it.

Last year UVA threw almost exclusively at the incredibly explosive Olimide Zaccheaus - he caught 93 balls for 1058 and 9 TD's - but Zaccheaus is gone this year and they Hoos have been spreading the ball around to a fair-to-decent corps of WR's. Hasise Dubois is their big field receiver - he's caught 55 for 849, but just 3 TD's - but their #2 (Terrell Jana) and #3 (Joe Reed) have also caught 61 and 70 balls, respectively, for another 698 and 726 yards, and Reed added 6 TD's. So they have some targets.

The concern with this O, as mentioned in the first sentence, is QB Bryce Perkins, by a mile their best player. He'll remind you of Deshaun Watson in his athleticism, stature, and cool poise in the pocket, though he does not have the arm strength Deshaun had and that will likely limit his stock some on draft day. He's still really good as a college QB and can beat you on his lonesome if you're not careful, as VT just discovered. Clemson will have to spy him and really set the edges to contain him and even then Perkins will still do some damage with his mobility and ability to escape, and as mentioned above, he does have some pretty good targets to throw at.

The Cavalier D is also pretty solid (27th overall, allowing just 336.5ypg), and Bronco Mendenhall is known as a really good defensive mind...but the Cav D doesn't match up well as it might have since the Hoos lost their top CB - Bryce Hall - to season-ending ankle surgery in mid-October. Hall was a projected 1st-or-2nd-round pick by a lot of services and could have helped them a bunch against Higgins or Ross; without him they match up a whole lot worse. Their D is still an extremely multiple 3-4 and it shows a lot of looks; Clemson's not just going to line up and run it over.

Thanks***

Dec 2, 2019, 11:12 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2019, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Is Virginia the best team we have faced this year? ]

Great read q.

Virginia is a very good team. They wouldn't be Coastal champs if they weren't. This is the first team we played that I think can beat us. It's a long shot, but I think they can if we don't play our A game. I agree that they are one dimensional on offense. Perkins reminds me a lot of Woody. He plays sandlot football. Sling it or scramble. If he gets on a roll, he can take over a game. The key will be for our D to keep him contained. Don't give him a chance to make big plays.

I have no doubt he'll break one or two on us. We just need to not let him run free.

Tigers will win in the end, but this one will go at least 3 quarters.

They don't have the offensive talent to beat us

Dec 2, 2019, 1:31 PM

even if we bring the C game again like we played against UNC.

They are a fundamentally sound well coached football team who will play tough. But they just don't have the skill players or O-line to move the ball on us.

Their defense is good, but again, they'll have problems matching up with our skill.

VT is actually a team that would have posed a bigger matchup problem with what their QB does and the fact that they do have some athletes at WR who are difficult to cover.

Agree on the spy, I see Simmons shadowing Perkins

Dec 2, 2019, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Is Virginia the best team we have faced this year? ]

all day. And he is fast enough and physical enough to get him to the ground before he can do much damage. A lot of 3 and outs and they are in trouble.

One dimensional is exactly right. However, comparing

Dec 2, 2019, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Is Virginia the best team we have faced this year? ]

Perkins to Watson is beyond generous. They can both run, and that's where the comparison ends. Perkins passes are more like Kelly Bryant than Watson, hit or miss badly.

Agreed. Stop Perkins as a runner and we win.

Dec 2, 2019, 2:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Is Virginia the best team we have faced this year? ]

Play Clemson football and we win by at least 24-30.

Perkins reminds me of Dantlzer in terms of his skill set

Dec 2, 2019, 2:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Is Virginia the best team we have faced this year? ]

And just how dependent their offense is on him.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2019, 1:32 PM

No. They would lose to sc.

A&M or Wake. I would put Virginia at 3

Dec 2, 2019, 1:38 PM

Of course the other two games were at home so that provided us with a huge advantage.

A&M or Wake. I would put Virginia at 3

Dec 2, 2019, 1:38 PM

Of course the other two games were at home so that provided us with a huge advantage.

Wake is NOT good, Virginia is definitely better***

Dec 2, 2019, 2:03 PM

No, but they are probably the least bad of all the teams

Dec 2, 2019, 2:03 PM

we have faced.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic