Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Venables says defense made too many mistakes against the LSU offense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

TNET: Venables says defense made too many mistakes against the LSU offense

Jan 14, 2020, 4:01 PM

Venables says defense made too many mistakes against the LSU offense

Brent Venables channeled his inner Dennis Green during his postgame comments late Monday night, telling reporters that nothing LSU’s offense did surprised him. They were about who he thought they were. (Photo: Stephen Lew / USATODAY) Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Venables says defense made too many mistakes against the LSU offense

Jan 14, 2020, 4:33 PM

Coming from the Best Defensive Coordinator in the country,I'd say that is an understatement.

Jan 14, 2020, 10:02 PM

Especially A.J. not being able to cover Chase and the bad penalties on 3rd and ling in the 2nd half...

Jan 15, 2020, 12:40 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Venables says defense made too many mistakes against the LSU offense ]

I just don't see that LSU were any better than Clemson... Trevor just was OFF and put the defense who weren't subbing, in a bad situation with 1\11 3th down conversions. It was not that LSU was that much better... our offense was that much worst.

An offense like that, we knew they were going to score.

Jan 14, 2020, 4:59 PM

The defense did a decent job. Especially early, they really teed it up for us to get a good lead.

The offense #### the bed, plain and simple. The score was more lopsided than it would have been had the offense been able to possess the football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: An offense like that, we knew they were going to score.

Jan 15, 2020, 4:44 AM

Decent? 42 points and over 700 yards. They ran all over us and threw for 450 yards. It was awful.

Yes.. decent***

Jan 15, 2020, 8:50 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Yes.. decent***

Jan 15, 2020, 8:50 AM [ in reply to Re: An offense like that, we knew they were going to score. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: An offense like that, we knew they were going to score.

Jan 15, 2020, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Re: An offense like that, we knew they were going to score. ]

It's all related. If our offense were on the field more, and scored more LSU wouldn't have had so many opportunities. Trevor has been so lights out all year, making huge plays all over the place, but on Monday those signature plays we usually see from him weren't there. That puts a lot of extra pressure on the Defense. That said, the Defense made many bad decisions, too. Credit to LSU for making much of that happen. I complain none about this team this year. We are a great program, and we do it the right way. We will learn from Monday, and I feel very confident that the bad taste the team and all fans have in their mouths will result in positive results down the road.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you didn't see them putting up 42 before KO you weren't

Jan 16, 2020, 11:56 AM [ in reply to Re: An offense like that, we knew they were going to score. ]

looking hard enough, we lost because our offense couldn't keep up

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2020, 5:39 PM

Glad to hear James Skalski #47 is coming back; he needs that another great year

Jan 14, 2020, 6:46 PM

Nothing wrong with the way BV called the defense. Sooner or later guys have to make plays. We were in pretty good position but they just didn't make the play ..... lots of credit to LSU who did make plays.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i Think the d did the best they could given the personnel

Jan 14, 2020, 10:13 PM

That we had. They kept us in there till midway third qtr when the offense failed to score points on another critical possession and they got tired.

We were never going to hold LSU scoreless. I can’t believe the folks I saw criticizing AJ, those were perfect throws; the kind that TL made to kill bama last year.

I think by did another master job. Held mister heisman down for two or threee series early in the game. That was amazing. The way out for burrow was to make some really great tight window slants, which he did, and that is why they won.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i Think the d did the best they could given the personnel

Jan 14, 2020, 10:23 PM

I agree. Our defense was exhausted. They just couldn’t match up but they tried. LSU just played lights out that second half and we could not get off the field on 3rd downs. Joe put those balls in perfect place for his receivers. And ours didn’t get open and Trevor didn’t play well. But I love them and they have had an awesome year. Losing in the Natty sux but at least it’s not losing in the Belk Bowl. They will be back!

Jan 14, 2020, 10:31 PM [ in reply to i Think the d did the best they could given the personnel ]

The first time yes...But that should have been it...He should have put a safety over the top. Plain and simple.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

You are exactly right

Jan 15, 2020, 12:55 AM [ in reply to i Think the d did the best they could given the personnel ]

Re: You are exactly right

Jan 16, 2020, 11:23 AM

I agree with your analysis except for the Richard Sherman thing. Burrow is about to get a wake up call when he gets to the NFL. Better, stronger and faster defensive players like Sherman will eat him for lunch.

Jan 27, 2022, 9:50 PM [ in reply to i Think the d did the best they could given the personnel ]

Totally agree vfral - Venables did a masterclass job this season putting less than elite talent defenders in the position to succeed. He got the most out of those guys. Our defense’s margin for error in last night’s game was small and unfort, they didn’t make enough plays plus our offense didn’t do enough to control clock, score and keep burrow off the field to maximize what our defense could do. Frustrating but that’s what good teams do to their opponents. We’ve been doing it for a long time to plenty of other teams.

A.J. and Kendrick both played better...

Jan 15, 2020, 2:05 AM [ in reply to i Think the d did the best they could given the personnel ]

... after BV switched their assignments between Chase and Jefferson.

Well, except for the P.I. on 3rd and 19.
That one really hurt.

I'll admit that I thought Jefferson would be the big problem, but hats off to Chase for having a career game against us.

Not having Pinkney as nose tackle in the 3 man line didn't help, but you play who you can dress out.

Bottom line we were the 2nd best team in CFB this season and I'm OK with it.

LSU was just better this year.

We'll be back.

Jan 15, 2020, 2:39 AM

LSU was about what you thought they were and still your defense could not stop them. If the same teams played 10 times, LSU would win all ten times.

Jan 15, 2020, 4:35 AM

Why don’t you troll another board Coot

Jan 15, 2020, 8:44 AM

Skalski was in Burrows head and was owning him the beginning of the second half. The targeting killed us.

Jan 16, 2020, 3:36 AM

HAHAHAHA!

Heisman Trophy/Unitas/Camp/O'Brien/Maxwell Awards
60 passing TDs 6 INTs
5760 passing yards

Skal is good but don't kid yourself. Joe is the GOAT. Chase Young didn't make a difference against CU in the semi and SKal is no Young.

We quit trying to score with 11 minutes left in 4Q. Could have hung 50-60 on BV's D (which was very effective at times) if we had kept the foot on the gas. Joe had it figured out and was being successful in almost every situation.

Congrats on a great run. Thanks for embarrassing Alabama last year. I am sure you will be back in the CFP next year. Beat Notre Dame and you cakewalk the rest of the way.

Jan 15, 2020, 2:20 PM

Clemson didn't make too many mistakes. LSU is just the best offense ever and completely outpowered Clemson D.

Jan 16, 2020, 11:18 AM

Love the honesty and perspective of the Clemson coaches! No whining about officials and making excuses like those peanut shucking OSU players and coaches. Just good old fashion honesty to admit mistakes and admitting that you just got beat by a better team...that night!

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic