Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Campus Update: Clemson suspends 24 fraternities’ social, new-member activities
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 104
| visibility 51

Campus Update: Clemson suspends 24 fraternities’ social, new-member activities

Sep 23, 2014, 7:28 PM

Clemson suspends 24 fraternities’ social, new-member activities

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction!

Sep 23, 2014, 7:43 PM

Nm

Re: Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction!

Sep 23, 2014, 7:52 PM

Sometimes an over reaction is the best reaction. In light of the soccer incident that recently took the spotlight, I think the University felt compelled to do something until this matter is resolved as an accident.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2014, 8:35 PM

Not allowing Rush until after FR year is a better idea.

Sep 23, 2014, 10:01 PM

Hipps was a Sophomore.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2014, 11:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction! ]

Agreed!!!

Sep 24, 2014, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction! ]

Are you kidding me laid-back tiger? You cannot be serious with this comment. I know this family very well and I would venture to say that if the tide was turned, you would feel much different. These things happen because of stupid, senseless activities done by nothing more than children who need the Universities help to get a brain! It's all fun an games until somebody dies!!!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p7w64fbqYQY#

Sep 24, 2014, 10:33 AM

Great lines in the attachment! What a tragedy that all those who knew and loved him never will forget, and many will carry the sting and hurt of this forever. All for what?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why?

Sep 23, 2014, 7:55 PM [ in reply to Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction! ]

What credentials do you have, as opposed to "There has been a high number of reports of serious incidents involving fraternity activities, ranging from alcohol-related medical emergencies to sexual misconduct"?

You're kidding right?

Sep 23, 2014, 8:08 PM [ in reply to Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction! ]

I'd love to hear your explanation if not.

Re: You're kidding right?

Sep 24, 2014, 6:29 AM

Yea me too.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2014, 8:16 PM [ in reply to Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction! ]

Over reaction? There have been other serious incidents during this rush cycle. Now a young man is dead. It is the University's responsibility to err on the side of caution until all of the facts are in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 24, 2014, 1:26 AM

the Oconee County Sherriff had this to say about hazing "“So far, there has been no indication in the Oconee County Sheriff’s Office investigation that hazing played a part in the death of Tucker Hipps. Once again, the investigation is ongoing. Sheriff’s Investigators continue to work with Clemson University, the Clemson University Police Department and the Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity to determine the manner of death in this case.

Read more: http://www.wyff4.com/news/body-found-under-upstate-bridge/28193896#ixzz3ECw8kXsI

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 24, 2014, 10:37 AM

Key words in your bolded text: so far.

There's no problem with pumping the brakes here and getting all the facts in. Someone's dead.

Sep 24, 2014, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction! ]

This also happened in the partially filled Lake Hartwell during my freshman year 1960. It was definitely ruled fraternity hazing,

Re: Well at least its not some knee jerk reaction.

Sep 23, 2014, 8:19 PM [ in reply to Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction! ]

;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No smarter move than keeping Clemson Students safe***

Sep 23, 2014, 8:21 PM [ in reply to Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction! ]

Re: No smarter move than keeping Clemson Students safe***

Sep 24, 2014, 9:04 AM

Actually, the fraternities suspended their own activities. The
university administration did not suspend the fraternities. Appears to me to a responsible reaction on the part of student
leaders.

Re: No smarter move than keeping Clemson Students safe***

Sep 24, 2014, 3:32 PM

They only suspended fraternity education. The administration suspended all social events.

They should establish a curfew

Sep 24, 2014, 12:18 PM [ in reply to No smarter move than keeping Clemson Students safe*** ]

make everyone stay inside unless classes are being held.

No clubs, no activities of any kind, cancel football season there is inherent risk in all of those activities so we have to end it to keep Clemson Students Safe.

Sep 23, 2014, 8:23 PM [ in reply to Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction! ]

A kid died because of hazing. This is probably is not enough.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

That is a rumor.

Sep 23, 2014, 11:34 PM

As a student I recieve the emails that stated hazing is currently not the primary suspected cause.

Sep 23, 2014, 8:51 PM [ in reply to Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction! ]

Not a smart statement my man.

Sep 23, 2014, 8:53 PM [ in reply to Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction! ]

Anytime ANYONE opens their statement with the phrase "trust me", I know I have a potential problem on my hands.

Frat man?***

Sep 23, 2014, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction! ]

Sep 23, 2014, 9:30 PM [ in reply to Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction! ]

Per the Oconee County Sherriff Mike Crenshaw "There has been speculation and innuendo, especially on social media, regarding whether hazing played a part in the death of Tucker Hipps."

“So far, there has been no indication in the Oconee County Sheriff’s Office investigation that hazing played a part in the death of Tucker Hipps. Once again, the investigation is ongoing. Sheriff’s Investigators continue to work with Clemson University, the Clemson University Police Department and the Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity to determine the manner of death in this case.

Read more: http://www.wyff4.com/news/body-found-under-upstate-bridge/28193896#ixzz3EByiNFAz

The fraternity had a run between 5:30 & 6:30AM on a Monday morning. This is hardly prime time for fraternity hazing.

I sense a shoot first ask questions later attitude from some of you.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"To hell with the best team winning, I want us to win!"- Frank Howard

Sep 23, 2014, 10:23 PM

that is a perfect time for hazing, Dark, campus is asleep, a time when people would least expect it and no one to witness it.

why else would a college kid be up at 5 AM?

Sep 24, 2014, 1:47 AM

because he was forced to

Just going to copy & paste a response I made above

Sep 24, 2014, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction! ]

Key words in your text: so far.

There's no problem with pumping the brakes here and getting all the facts in. Someone's dead.

Sep 24, 2014, 10:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction! ]

Also, this is most certainly not a "shoot first & ask questions later" attitude from those who support the decision. Activities are suspended. It means things are being paused for the moment to get a better grip on the situation. It's the best reaction possible IMO.

Sep 23, 2014, 9:59 PM [ in reply to Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction! ]

The false information going around twitter is mostly to blame. Pretty much all the real evidence points to an accident that could've happend to anybody. TH wasn't some scrub who'd let somebody push him too far, he was smart and could take care of himself. People trying to make themselves part of the story by making crap up are the real problem here. But it's not a bad idea to take a break out of respect for TH.

Sep 23, 2014, 10:27 PM

I don't know if it is true or not, but I do wonder why a fit kid who was an athlete was struggling and lagging behind. I wonder why when some went back to check on him and admit he was struggling..why did they leave him alone. I thought frats were a brotherhood and had each other's back. If you saw a friend in trouble, would you leave him alone?? And if you thought something was amiss, would you wait that long to notify authorities? That time frame could have been the difference in life or death. And if the others went looking for him, they didn't look to hard to miss the body.

Sep 24, 2014, 10:26 AM

I agree.... All of the articles that I have read about this sitaution say that Hipps and his "brothers" went to run and they didn't realize that he was missing until breakfast. I'm sorry but if you are running with a group of people you will realize that someone is missing way before you get to breakfast. I feel like his frat brothers are trying to cover things up. I believe it has to do with hazing.

Even the Miss American pagent has your attitude...

Sep 23, 2014, 11:31 PM [ in reply to Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction! ]

Miss America Kira Kazantsev was kicked out of her Long Island college sorority after a hazing scandal, she admitted on "Good Morning America" Tuesday morning.

“Under the broad definition of hazing, yes, I was involved,” she said. “At the time, unfortunately, that was just the culture of the university, and I was hazed, and I was kind of brought up through the organization thinking that is appropriate behavior...”

The newly crowned pageant queen, whose platform in the competition was anti-domestic abuse, was kicked out of Hofstra University's Alpha Phi sorority last year after she sent an email ahead of an event to members of her sorority that she said was misinterpreted.

"In the email I made a joke that was taken out of context and forwarded,” she said.

So what was the joke? “That we would make the evening scary for the pledges."

"Kira has been fully transparent with the Miss America Organization about her termination from the Alpha Phi sorority," a Miss America Organization spokesperson told FOX411. "It's unfortunate that this incident has been exploited to create a storyline that distracts from what we should be focusing on: Kira's impressive academic achievements at Hofstra University, including earning a triple major from the Honors College and her commitment to serving her community. Kira is an exceptional ambassador for the Miss America Organization, and we are excited to be a part of her journey as a force for good across our nation, promoting education and service and working to empower young women."

On Tuesday, Kazantsev, 23, published a new post on her blog and appeared on Good Morning America to respond to the claims, which included, "pledges ... called names, berated for their perceived physical flaws and imperfections, and made to perform physical tasks to the point of bruising and exhaustion,"

So, I guess what they think this country has come to is if you are smart you are a winner, no matter that you were kicked out of an organization on college for hazing.

I guess if you are smart, you can treat people like crap and it is OK. Pretty sure the pagent is about character, too.

Sep 24, 2014, 6:30 AM [ in reply to Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction! ]

Not a smart comment!!!

I trust you. You've made a compelling argument.***

Sep 24, 2014, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction! ]

Sep 24, 2014, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction! ]

Interesting read here:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/confessions-of-an-ivy-league-frat-boy-inside-dartmouths-hazing-abuses-20120328

Kick em out!***

Sep 24, 2014, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Trust me. This is not a smart move but an over reaction! ]

Over reactive cheap shot from the dorm jagoff crowd.***

Sep 24, 2014, 10:17 PM

LLTD*

Sep 23, 2014, 7:46 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LLTD*

Sep 23, 2014, 9:02 PM

Young buck....what does LLTD* mean?

Long Live Team Dabo***

Sep 24, 2014, 9:52 AM

Re: LLTD*

Sep 24, 2014, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Re: LLTD* ]

Long Live The Dungeon...may Frock and Gail forever remember.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nothing but good news

Sep 23, 2014, 7:59 PM

that campus is getting to be out of hand. As bad as some of the worst ones out there

Unfortunate situation but no evidence of hazing.

Sep 23, 2014, 9:04 PM

I would say it's an overreaction. I'm only going by the news reports but if there is no connection, this is like killing a fly w/an bazooka. Today's PC world leaves me SMH. Let the investigation finish. (Ala Duke lacrosse)

Re: Unfortunate situation but no evidence of hazing.

Sep 23, 2014, 9:13 PM

You obviously don't have children yet. If that was your only son lying in the morgue you would say this isn't enough! You need to grow some grey and live a bit before you put your 2 cents in young buck.

Re: Unfortunate situation but no evidence of hazing.

Sep 23, 2014, 9:23 PM [ in reply to Unfortunate situation but no evidence of hazing. ]

Hey, the fly would be dead wouldn't it. That was the intentions even if it was killed w/a bazooka:)

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it was hazing.***

Sep 23, 2014, 9:59 PM [ in reply to Unfortunate situation but no evidence of hazing. ]

how do you know?

Sep 23, 2014, 11:42 PM

Serious question. I have kept up with the story but the news isn't going to say anything. What is it you know that makes you so sure it was hazing? Other than the fact it was a frat. Again serious question. What are people on campus saying?

Re: how do you know?

Sep 24, 2014, 12:43 AM

Can we quit saying "frat?" You would call your country a, well you know

Re: how do you know?

Sep 24, 2014, 7:18 AM

I call my brother, bro. I shorten a lot of words.

I was in a fraternity. Look at all the clues surround this,

Sep 24, 2014, 8:07 AM [ in reply to how do you know? ]

a morning "fun run?" How about "let's round up all the pledges at 5 AM Monday and make those ####### run."

And you know this how?

Sep 24, 2014, 12:29 AM [ in reply to it was hazing.*** ]

Becausethe police say they dont think hazing was the reason...

A pledge class running at 5 AM - yep. Can't be hazing!

Sep 24, 2014, 1:41 AM

Lots of college kids run at 5 AM, if they are enrolled in a military college. Last I checked, Clemson was no longer a military college.

Ummm...

Sep 24, 2014, 4:03 AM [ in reply to it was hazing.*** ]

this coming from a band guy who never got a bid

I was in Pi Kappa Alpha, but thanks for playing!

Sep 24, 2014, 8:08 AM

The time I spent in a fraternity didn't and doesn't define me.

Re: I was in Pi Kappa Alpha, but thanks for playing!

Sep 24, 2014, 2:23 PM

once a pike, always a pike.

Outlaw them all.***

Sep 23, 2014, 9:09 PM

Re: Outlaw them all.***

Sep 23, 2014, 9:23 PM

So FSU and JW are scum of the earth and have a total lack of institutional control for shouting a "popular" phrase, shoplifting and no proof of any other crime.

BUT

A student dies and the university is overreacting ?

Just I have always said not everyone at Clemson is attending Bible study and not everyone at USC and other schools is a thug.

Good People at Clemson, Bad people at Clemson
Good people at USC and other places, bad people at USC and other places

Re: Outlaw them all.***

Sep 24, 2014, 9:50 AM

Thanks for using this time to pontificate in an effort to sooth your own ego. Hope you feel better.

Outlaw fraternities, and only outlaws will have fraternities***

Sep 24, 2014, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Outlaw them all.*** ]

null

Frats are overrated anyway

Sep 23, 2014, 9:34 PM

Never needed the Fraternity angle to pull girls when I was on campus.

Good girl friend's older sister passed in similar fashion back in the day. Sad sad thing.

You missed the entire point of the fraternity system...

Sep 24, 2014, 6:35 AM

If you thought it was selfishly only about getting girls. I was in a fraternity and graduated in 79 and I am still in close contact with many of my brothers who live all over the country; including one who has been elected to the U.S. Congress 5 times.

I get a sense you were never invited to join any fratenity and hold a resentment over this.

Nah. Just wasn't impressed

Sep 24, 2014, 7:23 AM

With the Greek system personally.

Well wishes to you and your brothers!

This is way too reasonable of a response to be on Tigernet***

Sep 24, 2014, 9:50 AM

Re: The entire point of the fraternity system...

Sep 24, 2014, 9:02 AM [ in reply to You missed the entire point of the fraternity system... ]

..... is for: acceptance/belonging, furthering career, partying/meeting girls. Undeniable.

Had plenty of friends that were KA's/Sig Ep's/ Pika's and on and on at CU. Really good guys.

My daughter is a DG @ NC State.

I chose not to pledge because I really did want to choose my own friends. I'm not going to be friends with someone and be a brother just because we paid $ to join the same organization.

The resentment comes from the perception, which is very close to reality, of Greeks being obnoxious, arrogant #####. Is it an unfair overgeneralization ? Probably, but that perception was earned.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Greek Life in 1979 =/= Greek Life in 2014***

Sep 24, 2014, 9:49 AM [ in reply to You missed the entire point of the fraternity system... ]

Is the suspension only for the first half Saturday?***

Sep 23, 2014, 10:03 PM

Yes, but they can still dress out and attend the game.***

Sep 23, 2014, 10:45 PM

that is about the length of time they stay at a game anyway***

Sep 23, 2014, 11:37 PM [ in reply to Is the suspension only for the first half Saturday?*** ]

Re: Campus Update: Clemson suspends 24 fraternities’ social, new-member activities

Sep 23, 2014, 10:17 PM

Tucker was the only child of Gary and Cindy Hipps. Please remember them in your prayers during this devastating time in their lives.

Re: Campus Update: Clemson suspends 24 fraternities’ social, new-member activities

Sep 23, 2014, 10:49 PM

Wasn't there a post on here a couple days ago talking about how bad SCar's frats.... When will we ever learn....

Have you learned to READ at USuC yet? Or is that

Sep 23, 2014, 10:59 PM

an advanced class?

Frats should use this as a springboard to develop leadership

Sep 23, 2014, 10:55 PM

among fraternities.

Fraternities don't develop leadership qualities when they encourage members to break the law --- under age drinking and worse. Such hypocrisy from organizations that say they don't haze, but clearly do.

Maybe a few fraternities will decide it is time to be true leaders and develop future leaders.

Re: Frats should use this as a springboard to develop leadership

Sep 23, 2014, 11:25 PM

Whether or not fraternities should be suspended right now is another question, but fraternities are not just underage drinking and law-breaking citizens. In fact, rarely any of them support these ideals contrary to popular belief in social media and in society today.Most, if not all, of fraternities are not part of this "frat" culture, If you have ever been in one or had an opportunity to observe one, you would know what i am talking about.
And for your absolutely ludicrous idea that says fraternities do not support leaders, ill let you take a look at some statistics. http://www.uwgreek.com/frat/home.html

Keep drinking the frat Kool Aid

Sep 24, 2014, 1:37 AM

or whatever they drink.

I don't believe those stats. Published by Greeks? Right!?!?!

Have you been to a frat party? Geez!!!

Re: Frats should use this as a springboard to develop leadership

Sep 24, 2014, 6:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Frats should use this as a springboard to develop leadership ]

No wonder our government is so screwed up!!!!

Obama isn't Greek, try again.***

Sep 24, 2014, 12:20 PM

"Fraternities don't develop leadership qualities"

Sep 24, 2014, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Frats should use this as a springboard to develop leadership ]

I guess that explains why a huge number of our nation's presidents, Fortune 500 CEOs, and other leaders were all in Greek organizations.

Clemson's student government is at least 50% greek despite greeks only making up around 23% of the student population, and presidents of countless non-greek clubs are members of greek organizations as well.

Anyone else think this is hazing related?

Sep 23, 2014, 11:05 PM

How many college students are awake and running at 5:30 AM?

Sure sounds like a hazing activity. I hope I am wrong.

Re: Anyone else think this is hazing related?

Sep 24, 2014, 1:21 AM

how many college students are awake and running at 530 am? I'd say about 2000 of them, but they are at The Citadel. ;)

Good point. I should have excluded military schools.

Sep 24, 2014, 1:34 AM

I know that my sons tried to avoid early morning classes in college.

Are we to believe that these fraternity pledges decided to all go on a 5:00 AM run because they wanted to do this? Surely this was some type of hazing. And it took until afternoon for the fraternity to report him missing? Very suspicious. Maybe it took them that long to sober up. And this happened on Monday AM --- the beginning of a hell week, perhaps?

I am SO tired of fraternities being disingenuous about prohibiting hazing and not drinking. Underage drinking is against the law. His frat has a Balanced Man program that talks about developing leadership and accountability. I'm not seeing much of that in frats these days.

Re: Anyone else think this is hazing related?

Sep 24, 2014, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Anyone else think this is hazing related? ]

I heard that they made him jump off the bridge and when he landed he broke his neck and then his "brothers" just left him there.

How Will The Frat Dudes Get Hairy Man Butt ##### Now?

Sep 23, 2014, 11:30 PM

Now That They Cannot Force it on Pledges?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

from the gullible dorm nerds like yourself I imagine.

Sep 24, 2014, 6:40 AM

What a buffoon you must be.

Oh you mean the social clubs

Sep 24, 2014, 9:22 AM

that revolve around a culture of substance abuse and sexual assault are risky?

You don't say.

Great move....don't let what happened to FAMU happen...

Sep 24, 2014, 9:33 AM

...at Clemson. We don't need the negative image.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 24, 2014, 9:34 AM

Also I don't know if any of you have ever run the 93 bridge, but the sides of the bridge are far too high to casually fall over.

Sep 24, 2014, 9:36 AM

I'll never understand the desire to be somebody's b*tch for a few months, then fork over thousands of dollars to be their friend for a few years.

but maybe that's just me.

For Non-Greeks commenting..

Sep 24, 2014, 9:57 AM

I don't have an issue with those that aren't in fraternities. You showing your animosity towards greeks just makes you look pathetic. Keep your thoughts to yourself and allow the police to do their jobs. Your rumors and attitudes are what's creating negative press towards the university.

Just remember that we lost a Tiger this week, and try to put yourselves in the shoes of others.

It is unfortunate that you only hear the negative side of things. I wasn't a Sig Ep, but I bet you don't know the things they have done for the University. Or the fact that a few years ago they single-handedly finance and built a house for a homeless family in Seneca.

Surprised they took weekends away from drinking or hazing?

Prayers for the families and friends of Tucker.

Re: For Non-Greeks commenting..

Sep 24, 2014, 10:09 AM

That's cool. Just stop killing your members.

You might as well be Al Sharpton in Ferguson.

Sep 24, 2014, 10:16 AM

Until the police confirm what has happened, keep to yourself.

Re: You might as well be Al Sharpton in Ferguson.

Sep 24, 2014, 10:23 AM

Why? You don't think it's of concern that a student died during a fraternity activity?

Something like this happens every single fall.

I am concerned.

Sep 24, 2014, 10:36 AM

Whatever happened, it's awful.

You don't know what happened there, and I don't know what happened there.

Was on both sides of fraternity life

Sep 24, 2014, 12:08 PM [ in reply to For Non-Greeks commenting.. ]

President of my pledge class. Many were really good guys. But I eventually left because I was demanded to do something I told them I would not do from day 1. Fraternities do make great contributions to a community. Those don't negate all of the out of control (and often unlawful) actions that dominate fraternity life though.

You're willfully ignorant to believe hazing doesn't happen in EVERY fraternal organization on campus. It's the result of immature brains and insufficient leadership that doesn't understand the consequences of every action. As a full grown adult, I would never join an organization that based acceptance on my ability to endure humiliation and degradation. If you believe that's "just part of growing up" then you haven't yet grown up.

Are you really from Greece? Wow.***

Sep 24, 2014, 12:43 PM [ in reply to For Non-Greeks commenting.. ]

Sep 24, 2014, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Campus Update: Clemson suspends 24 fraternities’ social, new-member activities ]

This is a terrible tragedy that happened, but people shouldn't speculate as to what happened was hazing. Yes, those pledges were probably told to be up running at 5 am, if you want to consider that "hazing", but I disagree. Anything a high school football coach would have 15 year olds do, I do not put in the same category as beating someone or intentionally harming them, that is hazing. So yes, they were probably told to be up running, which might not follow every rule in the book, but it is in no way comparable to putting someones life knowingly in danger,and I hope this terrible event was a tragic accident ( as the initial report said), not anything malicious. And everyone should assume as much until any more police reports come out, because as of right now they said hazing was not the cause of death. Not saying they were not told to be out their running, but the sherif initially reported it was a subsequent accident, not the running.

People don't need to blanket blame every one of the 4,000 students who is in a greek organization, many of whom are awesome kids and almost all who would never want harm to befall anyone. The Clemson community and specifically Greek community needs to come together and support each other through this tragic time, and make sure tragic accidents don't happen again, instead of people on the outside, far removed the the situation, pointing fingers who is to blame with no idea of what happened or the people involved.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the young mans family and the Clemson student body

Sep 24, 2014, 10:58 AM

I agree. If the boy was running normally, in running clothes, and running shoes, then it is not hazing. It would have only been hazing if the guys were being forced to run with weighted packs or something like that.

Sep 24, 2014, 12:12 PM

I don't purport to know all the details of what happened on Monday, and if it was hazing related then that CHAPTER should be punished. You wouldn't shut down the chess club because a member of the glee club died and there's no reason to punish multiple greek organizations just because of the mistakes of one.

If there was no hazing involved then officials at the university are taking advantage of a truly tragic event to punish a significant amount of the student population.

You might want to reconsider . . .

Sep 24, 2014, 1:29 PM

your position. You don't seem to see the whole picture. Read this thread and tell me if you still see things the way you explained in your post . . .

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1383386&ref=front

Sep 24, 2014, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Campus Update: Clemson suspends 24 fraternities’ social, new-member activities ]

The headline is misleading. The fraternities themselves decided to suspend activities. The University may have urged that decision but it is a wise one.

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Sep 25, 2014, 12:26 PM

The headline was not misleading. Last weekend IFC suspended activities because the University pressured them into it. Later, on Tuesday the university not IFC suspended all activities.

And I think it is important to note that a lot of the "activities" behind suspended are not what people assume. They include philanthropies, many of which raise thousands of dollars for charity, and sober brother/sisterhood events and other activities.

Not having parties out of respect is one thing, and one I think many people are OK with, but the university suspending all activities, including from the organizations who had no allegations is another thing entirely.

Also, in my personal opinion I believe that issues that are this serious should be conducted by the police, the american judicial system, and professionals, not a group of PHD's and grad assistants who have their own view of how things should be done. The concept of "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" and "innocent until proven guilty" has come up and for those of you that don't know, Clemson does not abide by that. Clemson practices preponderance of the evidence and holds parties as guilty until they can prove that they are innocent. It baffles me that the office of student affairs could have the audacity to say you should hold parties guilty until proven innocent and charge people as guilty without needing proof beyond a reasonable doubt, going against EVERYTHING this nations judicial system stands upon, despite 200 years of refinement to our judicial process by America's brightest minds because a few have been given too much power at Clemson in the office of student affairs.

Good, suck it frat goons!***

Sep 24, 2014, 3:43 PM

Witty post from the guy who probably had no friends other

Sep 24, 2014, 6:17 PM

than his right hand. Suck it dorm geek.

^^^^^^^^^Found one

Sep 25, 2014, 9:01 AM

frat goon alert. Aw, did I hurt your feelings? My bad, "brah"