Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Swinney talks further about Reader, who will step into that spot
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

New Story: Swinney talks further about Reader, who will step into that spot

Aug 25, 2015, 7:38 PM

Swinney talks further about Reader, who will step into that spot

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney met with the media following Tuesday's practice, and while he didn't get into the specifics of D.J. Readers' situation he did make his feelings know about the issue. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

God I love Dabo

Aug 25, 2015, 7:48 PM

Years ago this would have been a serious hurt. Now it's next man up. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Until we go 7-5***

Aug 25, 2015, 8:19 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Except we won't***

Aug 25, 2015, 8:27 PM

Re: Except we won't***

Aug 25, 2015, 8:55 PM

You said it, brother!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Until we go 7-5***

Aug 25, 2015, 8:55 PM [ in reply to Until we go 7-5*** ]

We are far, far away from 7-5. That may disappoint some lurkers and wannabe's on here, but it is the truth. We are far from the 7-5 days. Now, there is a team in the center of the state who seems to be getting there, but not Clemson. This program hasn't had to comprimise itself to get there, either. That is what most nay-sayers hate most. I'm glad "they" are disappointed.

we are one QB away

Aug 25, 2015, 9:05 PM

Very very fine line between 7-5 and 10-2. 12-0 takes perfection and LUCK. A lot of people on here have us going 12-0 or 11-1 without having seen us play a down. I hope we win them all. But I felt a lot better about it 6 players ago

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: we are one QB away

Aug 26, 2015, 9:44 AM

Do you really think we go 7-5 or you just running that ######

Re: we are one QB away

Aug 26, 2015, 9:58 AM [ in reply to we are one QB away ]

I would like to have the ones who have left still on the team and contributing, but we do have a lot of quality depth. That hasn't always been the case (really, not since DF), and granted we have lost some quality contributors, but I believe we still have some great players who will step up. This stuff sometimes happens. We will just have to buckle it up and move on with a purpose. Whatever the outcome, I will stay positive, and I bet we are just fine in the end.

Even STS would call you a dumper.***

Aug 26, 2015, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Until we go 7-5*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: God I love Dabo

Aug 25, 2015, 9:00 PM [ in reply to God I love Dabo ]

+1!!! I am with you, and though DJ is a potentially great FB player who could get to the NFL, he knows the rules with Dabo. He also knows his heart. Maybe he has issues that distract him, but Dabo says, "Next man up". I hope DJ gets it figured out, but we are moving forward, with him, or without him, and we will be just fine, either way.

Re: God I love Dabo

Aug 25, 2015, 11:16 PM [ in reply to God I love Dabo ]

Me too!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is now very strange. Sounds like a discipline thing,

Aug 25, 2015, 7:53 PM

but, it also sounds like Reader made the decision to step away at this time. Starters stepping away in August? I wonder about the mental state of this team, the confidence of this team, and how in the world we are #12 in the nation and runaway favorite to win the ACC (more than double FSU votes by ACC writers).

I know we have finished higher than preseason predictions for the last four years, but I just don't see it happening this year.

we would need incredible years from true freshmen

Aug 25, 2015, 7:58 PM

Hyatt and Wilkins now. Good thing they were the best at their position coming out of HS. Could be a lot worse.

No injuries to Linebacker, QB and OT... still have a great team. But if the injuries keep stacking up we're going to struggle.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

We don't even have an offensive line to allow the best

Aug 25, 2015, 8:06 PM

quarterback we've ever signed to do his thing. That is our luck. We have Watson and have to puthim behind true freshman o-linemen.

Yall stop whining and support the team.

Aug 25, 2015, 8:11 PM

"We don't have this, we lost that, wa,wa, waahah". Shut up with that female crap...

Re: Yall stop whining and support the team.

Aug 25, 2015, 8:25 PM

Learned awhile back that it's just football and to enjoy the game day experience which I will do very soon. The season will come and go. And we've sat through some tough years where the starters wouldn't have made the scout team recently.

Re: Yall stop whining and support the team.

Aug 25, 2015, 9:09 PM

I resemble that remark! I was on the scout team of one of those teams that couldn't even get a sniff at playing time now. We are light years away from that, but we are very close to greatness, even with these setbacks. I predict we will be just fine, and I'll bet I'm right.

Re: We don't even have an offensive line to allow the best

Aug 25, 2015, 8:12 PM [ in reply to We don't even have an offensive line to allow the best ]

Not unusual to start an elite freshman

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Yes, but on the offensive line? That's kind of unusual.***

Aug 25, 2015, 9:41 PM

Re: Yes, but on the offensive line? That's kind of unusual.***

Aug 26, 2015, 12:45 PM

not really -check around you might be surprised

Yet, while Dabo talked of discipline and doing things the

Aug 25, 2015, 7:58 PM [ in reply to This is now very strange. Sounds like a discipline thing, ]

right way, he doesn't call this a suspension. He says treat it like an injury. Just weird. No bigger fan of Dabo than me, so I'm not criticizing anything. Heck, I wouldn't even know what I was criticizing in this case. It is just weird.

if this is a coping issue from the loss of his dad, then YES

Aug 25, 2015, 8:44 PM

Treat it like an injury. He clearly stated that it was on Reader, not Dabo. No discipline issue here. Dabo is protecting the kid from public scrutiny and riducule. He could be having a mental breakdown due to multiple issues......you never know. It is none of our business and it is his coaches job to protect his players. You may not want this out in order to possibly protect his future. And for all we know, he could be back in a few weeks. let this shake out.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Re: Yet, while Dabo talked of discipline and doing things the

Aug 25, 2015, 8:59 PM [ in reply to Yet, while Dabo talked of discipline and doing things the ]

I don;t think Dabo was referring to discipline. The media brought that up. IMO, he was saying he thought it would benefit DJ to stay with the team while working through his problems. The team and coaches could be a huge support system for him.

Re: Yet, while Dabo talked of discipline and doing things the

Aug 25, 2015, 9:11 PM

They are his family in a very real sense.

Re: This is now very strange. Sounds like a discipline thing,

Aug 25, 2015, 8:02 PM [ in reply to This is now very strange. Sounds like a discipline thing, ]

Yeah, I've tried to stay optimistic through all this, but this has been a rough offseason. I mean we lost 8 starters on our defense due to graduation, and 3 offensive lineman, that happens I get it. But we lost Kitt, Priester, Kellen Jones, DJ Reader, Rogers, Battle, Wiggins, Ebo, and Lakip (even though he will be back). That is eight players who were either starters or second string that we lost because through some form of attrition. That's not normal.

On top of that, you also had Boulware who thought about quitting, and Guillermo who took a substantial amount of time away from the program. I get that some of these were absolutely necessary (i.e. Wiggins, Ebo, and Lakip), but the amount of talent we have leaving the program is alarming. This season is starting to look scarier and scarier. Hard to see us beating out FSU for the ACC Championship after all this, but I hope I'm wrong...

You're reaching with Priester,Kitt and Jones

Aug 25, 2015, 8:05 PM

Their INABILITY to get on the field had to do with all of them leaving.

Re: You're reaching with Priester,Kitt and Jones

Aug 25, 2015, 8:18 PM

Priester and Kitt were not huge losses because we are so deep at WR, and I get why they are not on the team. Doesn't change the fact that they were scholarship players and they are gone before or shortly after their freshman year.

As for Jones, you can't tell me you wouldn't like to have him on our roster right now. We are EXTREMELY thin at LB, and while he may not be a world-beater, he could help this team. We have a grayshirt freshman backing up our inside backers right now (although I think Williams will be a great player in time, his film is ridiculous), and Kendall Joseph is struggling to stay healthy. Chad Smith is struggling with the speed of the game, which is expected for a freshman, and then you have the Davis twins....

Take those guys away, you still have five guys that were two deep players who are gone - still not good.

Aug 25, 2015, 8:18 PM [ in reply to You're reaching with Priester,Kitt and Jones ]

ten fore M TTMT

Aug 25, 2015, 9:29 PM [ in reply to You're reaching with Priester,Kitt and Jones ]

I do believe it was all about them not being "the guy". That's because there are other "the guys" better than they were. It's a great problem we have.

Aug 26, 2015, 6:00 AM

Take a look around at the other elite programs and see how many 4 and 5 star guys leave every year because once they got on campus figured out that hard work beats talent, when talent isn't working hard. They think those stars entitled them to playing time. Yes we are thin in a couple of places, but we still have to line up and play everybody on our schedule!

Aug 26, 2015, 9:49 AM

We will be just fine.

I didn't know Boulware thought about quitting***

Aug 25, 2015, 8:08 PM [ in reply to Re: This is now very strange. Sounds like a discipline thing, ]

Re: I didn't know Boulware thought about quitting***

Aug 25, 2015, 8:14 PM

The amount of coots on this bored is what's alarming. Boulware never said anything about quitting. Reader may be back. THe sky is not falling. Now, if I had a drunk washed up bafoon as a coach, no QB, no OL, no defense, no recruits, and an asst coach that is on the SC sexual offenders list; then I would be concerned with my team.

Aug 25, 2015, 8:24 PM

Dude, do a quick Google search before you say something stupid. There were multiple articles and a TI main page interview with Boulware saying he was very close to quitting this summer. I'm not a "coot", I'm a Clemson alumni. Is our team talented? Extremely. But we have 40 freshman or RS freshman and we are losing (good) players at an alarming rate. Like I said, a lot of them needed to be dismissed, and you can't prevent injuries, but it is not a good thing by any means. I've said my piece, now you can go ahead and talk about how much I love Spurrier and I'm a coot or whatever.

Aug 25, 2015, 8:39 PM

I agree this is not a good thing. This offseason his sucked a little bit, but we have also had a lot of good happening. Freshmen have been stepping up. We are gonna be OK.

Psstttt...wouldn't be too sure of that:

Aug 25, 2015, 8:28 PM [ in reply to Re: I didn't know Boulware thought about quitting*** ]

https://clemson.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=911&######=%2Fcontent.asp&cid=1761854

Re: Psstttt...wouldn't be too sure of that:

Aug 25, 2015, 8:33 PM

well, guess it's not easy to link as a non-member.

Here's the first line on TigerIllustrated:
April 29, 2015
Breaking point for Boulware

Larry Williams
TigerIllustrated.com

In this exclusive interview with Tiger Illustrated, Clemson linebacker Ben Boulware opened up about why he nearly quit football just a few months ago.

Aug 25, 2015, 9:35 PM [ in reply to Re: I didn't know Boulware thought about quitting*** ]

They are here (I don't blame them either, as fgf is a weak option). They hate it that we are in such good shape, and they struggle (their struggle sjsut started last year, but they won't end soon), especially after their recent, though limited and very brief, success. Some things never change.

Aug 25, 2015, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Re: This is now very strange. Sounds like a discipline thing, ]

I hope you are, too. I don't know why all this has hit the fan lately, but Dabo seems to be taking it in stride, and there is very positive news. That news is, we have lots of talented, quality depth on this roster. some have a lot of playing experience, some don't, but all are top notch players who were 4 and 5 star athletes that everybody wanted. I'm good with that. Nest man up, give the best they have, and we will be just fine.

Think about it this way

Aug 26, 2015, 6:13 AM [ in reply to Re: This is now very strange. Sounds like a discipline thing, ]

We've never had this much talent piled up. When things like this happens, it'll be good players leaving all the time. I wouldn't panic too much.

Aug 25, 2015, 9:41 PM [ in reply to This is now very strange. Sounds like a discipline thing, ]

This does not sound like a discipline thing to me. Aggravated at reporters badgering? I think so. Reporters trying to make a story? Yup. Aggravated with DJ about making this decision now instead of earlier? You betcha.

Re: New Story: Swinney talks further about Reader, who will step into that spot

Aug 25, 2015, 8:10 PM

Is there any chance that some of the younger players have moved ahead of him? Or he sees the writing on the wall? Because if he is on the first team and just walked away. The kid is dealing with some bad stuff. Either way I hope DJ gets straight and comes back stronger.

The way it was handled makes it seem like attitude

Aug 25, 2015, 8:18 PM

not necessarily misbehavior or misdeeds necessarily, but Iike being late, inattentive , mouthing off etc..type behavior.

Aug 25, 2015, 8:19 PM

All this gloom and doom talk and the ball hasnt been snapped yet. Have the coots absolutely taken over this page? Flame me if you have to but step back and read what you have written. Using Lakip as an example of losing someone when it was HIS choice that put him where he is? Really? The man said it was for personal reasons that Reader has stepped back and all of a sudden there are mysterious boogeymen behind every tree....wow....Apparently some are allowing themselves to be consumed with the hype. These are young men with lives just like yours and mine. Things happen. There doesnt have to be a conspiracy behind every tree. Go Tigers! Go Clemson!

It WAS a conspiracy...

Aug 25, 2015, 11:39 PM

It wasn't behind a tree. It was on the grassy knoll in addition to the book depository. Chicken Little was shot, DJ was an innocent casualty of war, and now the sky is falling. Shhh... Don't tell anyone that it was George HW Bush supervising the assassination of Little for the CIA because the Military Industrial Complex wanted their Vietnam that Little was opposed to... Shhh

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Aug 25, 2015, 8:23 PM

I fully expect reader to be back. One poster said his mother and sister are in Clemson helping him out. Just sounds like he had a break down about his father. I bet in a week he will be doing better.

Louisville, ND game at the latest

Aug 25, 2015, 8:33 PM

All the DOOM & GLOOMERS, take a deep breath,everything will be fine. DJ will be back. As far as the LB situation, the 2's & 3's will get a lot of playing time during the first 2 games for much needed experience.

As far as the Coots that seem to have infested TNet today, it's just wishful thinking on your part.There's a good chance we'll be 11-0 when we steam roll into Cootlumbia and run over you like a Mack Truck. At worst ,we'll be 9-2 when we roll into Cootlumbia and roll over you like a Mack truck, enjoy 5-7.

Aug 25, 2015, 8:41 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney talks further about Reader, who will step into that spot ]

That's what I heard...the passing of his father has been tough on him and he just needs to step away for a bit, understandable and I would bet he'll get to where he realizes being around his team and on the field is the best thing for him. I also agree that I hope it happens before ND, we're fine for the first two games and I think L'ville as well, but we'll def need him for ND. I hope the kid gets his head straight and comes back sooner than later cause he could be a high NFL draft pick with a big season.

All the sky-is-falling talk on this board is hilarious and sad...can't even imagine what would be going around if we were a teams like UGA, FSU, LSU, Bama, etc. that have people getting arrested and thrown off the program all the time, attrition happens and ours has not been egregious like most programs...and in this instance it's just a kid that needs some time to grieve his father.

Go Tigers!

Aug 25, 2015, 8:48 PM

And you learned this from where?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 25, 2015, 9:00 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney talks further about Reader, who will step into that spot ]

Oh but I thought you said he was in rehab with taht post you pulled out fo your ### that attacked him earlier.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Link ?***

Aug 26, 2015, 6:38 AM

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Link ?***

Aug 26, 2015, 7:04 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=17670775

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Aug 25, 2015, 8:55 PM

We will be just fine as long as Deshaun Watson doesn't get hurt. Go Tigers!!!

Reader will be back but this stuff happens at every major program. Auburn lost 9

Aug 25, 2015, 9:31 PM

players since Jan, 2015....

At least seven backup players and two former starters have left Auburn's football program since the end of the 2014 season. Hutchinson and Shiel join linebackers Anthony Swain and Khari Harding, defensive backs Mackenro Alexander and Kalvaraz Bessent, and receiver Dominic Walker among the departures. Junior receiver Sammie Coates and junior offensive tackle Patrick Miller declared for the NFL Draft in December and January, respectively.

Harding left Auburn and transferred to Tulsa to be closer to his father, who is battling cancer for the second time.

I'm taking all this at face value.

Aug 25, 2015, 10:30 PM

Who knows why Reader decided to step away but himself, his coaches, and his family. It's not my business. For all we know, he'll be back tomorrow. Right now it's an opportunity for Pagano or Wilkins to step the fuxk up and make a name for their own self. I, for one, have been looking forward to seeing Pagano on the field since he committed.

Adversity has always seemed to find Clemson

Aug 26, 2015, 8:42 AM

That is what has made this team so strong. Everything happens for a reason and all we can do is put all our faith in Dabo to put the next kid in to fill the spot. There will be some hiccups but they will square away in no time. Go Tigers!

Don't you just love speculation?***

Aug 26, 2015, 10:08 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was hoping to read something new about Mr. Reader.

Aug 26, 2015, 10:37 AM

The video said everything and was available for public viewing several hours before this article was published.

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic