Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clarification on transfer rule
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Clarification on transfer rule

Jan 19, 2018, 2:45 PM

If you transfer and therefore have to sit out a year, it does not *necessarily* mean you lose a year of *playing* eligibility, does it? The rule is simply that you sit out one year of your remaining ones left, right?

Now, I get that it could mean in some circumstances that you would use a year of eligibility up - for example, if someone who had already redshirted had to sit out a year, then they'd have no red-shirt to apply to the year they're sitting out, therefore, they would lose a year of playing eligibility. BUT, if a kid came in, played his freshman year, then transferred and sat out a year, then, when he came back, could he still play three more years?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clock does not stop once it starts...

Jan 19, 2018, 2:50 PM

there are very few possibilities to extend the 5 to play 4 or get a "6th" year.

Yes, a RS can be "used" as one of the 5.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, I'm not asking about a 6th year . . .

Jan 19, 2018, 2:53 PM

. . . I'm simply differentiating between the four years of "playing" eligibility, vs. the five year window within which you have to do it. So, obviously when a guy transfers, he still only has five total years from when he started to use up his four years of eligibility. I get that. I'm just asking about whether or not the year he sits out must count against his four years of playing eligibility, or whether he can still use a redshirt year if he has one available.

I didn't believe you were, I added it in case someone else

Jan 19, 2018, 3:01 PM

had the thought.

Yes, a RS can be "used" as one of the 5.

If he has a RS, it's one of the 5 AND not one of the 4, by definition.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you get 5 years to play 4 unless you go down a level

Jan 19, 2018, 2:50 PM

ZC can transfer to 1-AA and have 3 years left or transfer to 1-A and sit out a year and have 2 years left.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, but Cooper . . .

Jan 19, 2018, 2:57 PM

has already red-shirted. What I'm asking is, if a guy still has a redshirt year left, can he use it during his "sit-out" year so that he doesn't lose any years of playing eligibility during the year he sits, or does the transfer rule require you to lose a year of playing eligibility?

Obviously, the sit-out year still counts against the 5-year completion window, but that's a distinct point.

Re: Yes, but Cooper . . .

Jan 19, 2018, 3:15 PM

My understanding is that yes, you can use the "sit out" year like a red-shirt. So if Hunter Johnson were to transfer to another FBS school right now, he would have to sit out a year but would have 3 years of eligibility left starting with the 2019 season. He would have to use all three in a row, though - he would not be able to red-shirt as that would then give him 6 years of time for his 4 years of eligibility.

Re: Clarification on transfer rule

Jan 19, 2018, 3:17 PM

If you transfer and have a redshirt available you can use that during your sit out year.

Therefore, you go to school A for two years (no redshirt) and transfer to school B you can use the redshirt during that year and then play two more for a total of 4 non-redshirt seasons in 5 years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2018, 3:19 PM

Once you start college the “clock” starts. You get 5 years to play four years. This ain’t as hard as you are trying to make it

Haha, you sure about that?***

Jan 19, 2018, 3:21 PM

Re: Haha, you sure about that?***

Jan 19, 2018, 3:42 PM

I think so?

Haha, I'm on your side and having fun.***

Jan 19, 2018, 3:44 PM

I think you're misunderstanding my question . . .

Jan 19, 2018, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Clarification on transfer rule ]

I get the five year window w/in which to play your four years. I've no confusion about that at all. I didn't ask about that.

The question was, in a nutshell, whether or not you may red-shirt during sit out year. The answer is either yes or no, but there's nothing complicated about spelling out the difference if one is asking the question.

If you still have a RS year available, you may use it

Jan 19, 2018, 5:11 PM

The career of Ryan Finley at NC State is a particularly amazing example. He has been able to become a 6th year Senior at NC State for the coming season.

http://gopack.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4174

Jan 19, 2018, 3:21 PM

Good example of this is Baker Mayfield. Played 2013 at Texas Tech, sat out 2014, and played 2015, 2016, and 2017 at Oklahoma. So he didn't "lose" a year in the transfer...he still got 4 years of playing time.

Jan 19, 2018, 3:36 PM

My understanding. If a player transfers to another D1 school, he sits one year and retains the number of years re his eligibility.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2018, 4:07 PM

How has Finley at State played so many years. 2 at Boise, 2 at State and still has another year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2018, 4:34 PM

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article97440917.html

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic