Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What will it take for you to get behind our basketball team
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Jan 25, 2020, 2:31 PM

The Men's basketball team started off the year severely shorthanded. They are finally healthy and playing reasonably well. Are they going to win a national title? NO! That shouldn't be the standard. They have won in Chapel Hill something no team before team had ever done and followed that up with a win over Duke in Littlejohn. We've won four out of our last five. Not looking good in Louisville right now so it will probably be four out of six. What does it take for you to get off their backs and say way to go guys!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm behind them every time we play

Jan 25, 2020, 2:38 PM

doesn't take away from the reality that we aren't that good

Telling Abraham Lincoln to find a commanding general

Jan 25, 2020, 2:50 PM

for the Army of the Potomac that could actually beat Lee was in reality supporting "the guys," not getting "on their backs."

Sad how some people don't understand things like that.

Re: Telling Abraham Lincoln to find a commanding general

Jan 25, 2020, 9:41 PM

Grant rarely beat Lee in battle.

He got Lincoln to redefine "victory."

Grant took the initiative and never relinquished it, combining battles with maneuvering into additional battles that ended up with full-scale, bloody and costly campaigns. The soldiers suffered dearly under Grant, but his approach was necessary to save the Union.

If you're comparing basketball coaches to Civil War generals, Brownell has about as many victories as Grant. The question is whether we end up at Appomattox or skid row.

Jan 26, 2020, 11:23 AM

grant beat lee's a&& up and down the shenandoah. don't let southern education and it's hagiography of Lee blind you to the fact that Lee was a great administrator, but a below-average tactician. Heck, he lost the heart of the Confederate Army of Virginia because he needed new boots for his men and Gettysburg was basically a nineteenth century shoe outlet. There were a couple of moments in the war when he could have essentially walked into Washington because of Union incompetence at the time.

Jan 26, 2020, 1:48 PM

Don't assume hagiography.

Lee never set foot in the Shenandoah while in uniform, so your facts are either crooked or you assume that he was responsible for all actions taken in his theater, or you have no clue where the Shenandoah Valley is, which was the breadbasket of the Confederacy until late 1864.

I've walked 7 Civil War battlefields with my kids in 6 different states. I know the geography, the tactics, the need for reconnaissance, the poor communication; and I could only imagine marching 16 minutes across an open field under fire. I venerate all the participants in that war; they were far more patriotic and selfless than I am, regardless of which principle they fought for.

If you thought that Lee had the freedom to invade the North prior to 1863, you don't understand the role politics played in the war. It sounds like your expertise is limited to correcting other people's perceived hagiography. That's doesn't mean you really understand your topic.

Yes, Grant implemented a war of attrition

Jan 27, 2020, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Telling Abraham Lincoln to find a commanding general ]

South just got overwhelmed, ran out of men and material, worn out ...

We need a Coach like Patton, Ridgeway, Lee, some of those good German Generals from WW2 ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What will it take for you to get behind our basketball team

Jan 25, 2020, 3:09 PM

I try not to have high standards in BB but it would be nice to be competitive. If we made NCAA tourney 1 out of 4 years I would be all in.
PS: I stopped watching Clemson BB a few years ago just so I could avoid negative thoughts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2020, 3:11 PM

Everyone is behind them. We are just mediocre. There is hope for next year though. I see promise.

Define everyone?***

Jan 26, 2020, 2:08 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2020, 3:12 PM

I hope to win in every competition that Clemson enters or plays in, and it wouldn't matter if it was an egg shell and cat chit eating contest, I will pull for our Tigers to win, period!!! :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2020, 3:18 PM

I have never been in a rush to fire him, but it is now past time. If we are good with a .500 team and making the NCAA tournament once every 5-10 years, then by all means keep him and never give him another raise. But if we want to be a semi-regular contender in the ACC and make the NCAA tournament half the time, we need to upgrade coaches. The administration also will need to support the basketball program like they do football. We have a 9000 seat arena (which I'm fine with), but we need to be able to fill it up. The only way that happens is getting wins and promoting the games. I'm tired of the complacency from the team, the fans, and the administration.

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Jan 25, 2020, 3:23 PM

User Logo
danny1279
Tiger Cub [10]
TigerPulse: 89%
Posted: Jan 25, 2020 2:31 PM

The Men's basketball team started off the year severely shorthanded. They are finally healthy and playing reasonably well. Are they going to win a national title? NO! That shouldn't be the standard. They have won in Chapel Hill something no team before team had ever done and followed that up with a win over Duke in Littlejohn. We've won four out of our last five. Not looking good in Louisville right now so it will probably be four out of six. What does it take for you to get off their backs and say way to go guys!

there are so many pathetic sad individuals on this board. good luck

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2020, 3:29 PM

A new head coach

Jan 25, 2020, 3:36 PM

A new coach alone won't solve a thing. This has to come from the top or we'll just be wasting more money.

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Way to go guys!

Jan 25, 2020, 3:35 PM

You only lost by 20.

Good job!

~JKB

Jan 25, 2020, 3:36 PM

When the admin gets behind the basketball program, then I will follow their lead.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2020, 12:05 PM

When the admin gets behind the basketball program, then I will follow their lead.

Absolutely!!! Just how many times has the T-Net fanbase screamed about firing the BB coach and hiring a new BB coach since they have been coming over to T-Net? This has been a major discussion on T-Net several times since T-Net come on line for Tiger fans to talk Tiger sports, and it has been the very same thing when it has come to our BB program.

I fully agree with junk yard on this bc, until the Administration totally agrees to get behind our BB program the same as it does with FB, Tiger Basketball will never have a HC that our fanbase as a whole would actually go to war with the same as we would with Dabo Swinney, or even an assistant like a Brent Venables. A new BB coach isn't the major problem with our BB program, it's the actions of our Administration, and until they can scrap, beg, or borrow the money that it will take to finance the best for our BB program, we will be back to this moment of needing a change in the Head Coaching for the BB program many more times before you meet your maker. At 67 and being a Clemson Tiger fan for 57 years, our BB program has been the same or close to the same as it is right now. It has been 57 years for me that serious hasn't been behind our BB program, and if it don't happen soon, I will never see it happen for me in this world!!!

We can agree or disagree, and we can even agree to disagree, but I'm with junk yard tiger with this argument bc our BB program will never be or even close to what we want it to be until the Administration does whatever it is they do to lobby the the $$$$$ that it will take to finance the best to obtain a top 10 Basketball program!!! You can't put horseshoes on a mule and say it's now a race horse...It don't work that way, and it won't make the mule faster bc you still have a mule!!!

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get real dude, you bball pumpers are something else....

Jan 26, 2020, 9:08 AM

No one expects to play for natties every year like the football team, but good grief, you got to make the dang tournament more than once a blooming decade. Every joe schmoe program youve never heard of makes the tourney more often than that. Clemson hoops is a disaster. Every year its the same thing; injuries, bad luck, wait till next year, blah blah blah.

Re: Get real dude, you bball pumpers are something else....

Jan 26, 2020, 1:57 PM

With a coach paid in the top 30 of active coaches. We aren't exactly phoning in Brownell's salary and aren't getting nearly top 30 results.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

let Amanda butler take over***

Jan 26, 2020, 2:23 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2020, 2:27 PM

It would take me liking basketball. I just dont care for basketball or soccer.

A huge traffic jam.

Jan 27, 2020, 9:53 AM

This team will have to improve dramatically in the art of scoring before I will invest my heartache in watching them blow games again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Already there!***

Jan 27, 2020, 1:28 PM

Hyperbole does not help your argument

Jan 27, 2020, 1:54 PM

You asked a valid question then followed it up with statements that are just not true.

NOBODY and I mean NOBODY who is a fan of Clemson basketball is holding out for a national title in order to support the team.

And while the win in Chapel Hill was historic from a "Clemson" standpoint, in reality it's a road win over a team that is currently ranked 104 in the NET rankings just below Indiana State. I'm tired of hearing the justification of how that makes us a good basketball team. Would we be happy if we had lost to Indiana State on the road? No. UNC win was a great historic accomplishment. Impressive win? - NO.

And nothing that happens this year is going to change anyone's mind. The bottom line of why it's hard to support this team is who the coach is. He's been here 9 seasons. He's made 2 NCAA tournaments and one in the past 8 years. This is year 10 and we won't be in the tourney this year.

NCAA appearances are what most fans are complaining about. The complaints about transfers and style of play and coaching acumen boil down to the fact that 2 NCAA tournament appearances in a decade aren't enough.

You asked what it will take, that's it. Make the tourney and make it more than once every 5-8 years.

Then you can have young improving teams and people will understand. You can have injuries and off years and people will understand. But at this point you can't sell optimism anymore without results. 10 years of sub-standard results have set the fans expectations and you cannot change that without actual achievements, not just the hope of future success. That ship has sailed.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic