Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I do worry for the future of amateur athletics in general
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 840

I do worry for the future of amateur athletics in general

Oct 30, 2019, 8:29 AM

Obviously it is an antiquated notion now, but people used to play sports for the love of the game...for the love of competition. Kids played 3, sometimes 4, sports in an academic year, and every sport had a distinct season. Childhood was simple, and fun.

The world has changed since I was a kid. I changed my major three times between my last class in high school and my first class at Clemson. A generation later, and the schools have my kids on a "career track" starting in SIXTH GRADE. Sports are year round, "travel ball" now, and kids are encouraged to (sometimes forced to) specialize in one sport. Colleges and agents are initiating contact at the middle school level. Kids are put under intense pressure to "make bank" and "take care of the family". Facilities, coaching staffs and salaries, and ticket prices are spiraling out of control. Increasingly, all athletics are "all about the Benjamins". I am sure there are plenty of athletes who no longer even love playing their chosen sport...that it has become a job, a burden, even in high school or college.

I will always love college football, and Clemson athletics, and I hope that college sports are relevant until long after my children's children are gone. But I am afraid we are sliding further and further down a slippery slope.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, let's MSGA!

Oct 30, 2019, 9:05 AM

Let's MAKE SPORTS GREAT AGAIN!

Remember the good ole days?

I loved 1965 when we scored a total of 117 points in 10 games.
I loved it when TV games were rare. Did we have 1 regular season televised game in the entire 1960s?
Seems odd to recall the old days when Clemson had all white ball players doesn't it?
The games were more fun back when Death Valley only seated 44,158 fans, wasn't it?
I liked being able to park right in the grove of trees next to the Calhoun Mansion, didn't you?
Between 59-77 when we played in ZERO bowl games, the regular season was just more valuable.
The stretch between 68-76 when we posted 1 winning season made us stronger, didn't it?
And who can forget the glory years of Hootie Ingraham?
Remember when NO ONE sat on the hill and you could throw a frisbee there during the games?
Remember when the team walked out of the West End Zone locker room instead of running the hill?

Yep, let's turn the clock back and prohibit the jocks from making money while on scholarship.

Make Sports Great Again!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL I was a kid in the 70s and 80s

Oct 30, 2019, 9:14 AM

Can't remember any of the "good old days" examples you have given. I am glad things have improved in your view over your time as a fan.

My post wasn't intended as an argument against the name-image-likeness rule change. It was just an acknowledgement that times have changed, and we won't ever be going back.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LOL I was a kid in the 70s and 80s

Oct 30, 2019, 11:42 AM

I was a graduate in the 70s!

In the way back, scholarships were less lucrative for athletes than they are today. I don't think collegiate sports has been damaged by the changes made for the past 50 years. I don't think collegiate sports will be damaged by the sort of changes being discussed these days. It will be different. There are details to be worked through but I think the proposed change is minor and don't quite understand the push back against players being able to use and market their image in the same way academic scholarship students can.

If the NFL decides to draft players out of high school and put them into a developmental process, the college game will really change. It'll still be good but it'll be more Furman-like than Alabama-like. I'll still be a Clemson fan and attend the games.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those that came up until 1977 were TRUE FANS. Mostly Alums.***

Oct 30, 2019, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Yep, let's MSGA! ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we have drifted far from the Corinthian Ideal:

Oct 30, 2019, 9:14 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corinthian_F.C.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I do worry for the future of amateur athletics in general

Oct 30, 2019, 11:51 AM

Anytime you can find a way to profit from a thing you are guaranteed to see others try to amplify it .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Replies: 6
| visibility 840
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic