Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Easiest way to fly to a game in Death Valley?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Easiest way to fly to a game in Death Valley?

Jun 6, 2012, 9:52 AM

Baylor fan here andn I am curious about this as I would like to see a game there should Clemson join the Big 12.

I hear it's a good time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Easiest way to fly to a game in Death Valley?

Jun 6, 2012, 10:01 AM

Use a plane...just kidding.

For private plane you can fly in to Oconee Regional which is close to campus. Greenville-Spartanburg for commercial about 40 miles away. Hotels in Clemson are ridiculous on a game weekend, so you may want to look at staying in Anderson or Greenville. Hope you get a chance to come visit...we promise to make you feel welcome!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Easiest way to fly to a game in Death Valley? or Atl

Jun 6, 2012, 10:03 AM

rent car and drive 100 miles. Pretty easy to get to actually

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks!***

Jun 6, 2012, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Easiest way to fly to a game in Death Valley? ]

Jun 6, 2012, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Easiest way to fly to a game in Death Valley? ]

Hotels in Easley 17 minutes away aren't bad either.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2012, 10:02 AM

Greenville Spartanburg International airport is the closest and very easy to use since it is so small. It's about a 40 minute drive to campus.

Jetpack. Don't have to land at GSP with the big planes.

Jun 6, 2012, 10:03 AM

You can land on the Tiger Paw in DV. Just show them your ticket when you land and they'll show you to your rightful seat.

Re: Jetpack. Don't have to land at GSP with the big planes.

Jun 6, 2012, 10:05 AM

Jun 6, 2012, 10:41 AM

well don't expect baylor to ever play a conference game in death valley, but you should still come on down for a game sometime. i've been to several acc and sec stadium, and death valley is by far the most intimidating, IMO. south carolina and auburn's fans sound like a pathetic wimper compared to those in the valley. no bias. GSP airport is rather expensive, but southwest airlines just started flying in, so who knows. ATL and CLT are good options, as well. hope you have a good time!

If price is an issue, check flights to

Jun 6, 2012, 10:49 AM

Atlanta (2 hour drive)
Charlotte (2 hour drive)
Greenville (45 minute drive)

You'll get HOSED on hotel prices $200/nite, min 2 nights stay at a Hampton Inn. You can look around in Anderson, Greenville, and Easley but be prepared for a LONG drive (traffic) after the game.

Is Seneca an option for Hotels?

Jun 6, 2012, 10:59 AM

I know my parents stayed at a Jameson Inn there for my graduation back in 2001. I think it was relatively cheap. I'd guess finding a hotel for graduation is almost as big of a fiasco as finding one for a game.

Yes but there won't be many choices

Jun 6, 2012, 4:25 PM

small town

Re: If price is an issue, check flights to

Jun 6, 2012, 2:23 PM [ in reply to If price is an issue, check flights to ]

It is usally only 30-45 minutes drive back to easley after the game. Of course we usually stay and put down a few budlights for 2 hours after the game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Easiest Way: Flying into Greenville/Spartanburg...

Jun 6, 2012, 10:56 AM

...via Southwest. I live in the Houston area, and I've flown non-stop to GSP and non-stop to Atlanta. The easiest way is to just fly to GSP. Flights will be much more expensive (even on Southwest) than flying into Atlanta, but it can be worth the extra dough to not have to worry about traffic in Atlanta (from Atlanta is usually the concern... back to Atlanta on Sunday isn't usually a problem except for the hangover). However, I'm not sure what is available from Waco. It may be worth it money-wise to fly to Atlanta and rent a car (of course you'll need a car if flying into GSP, as well). I haven't checked prices lately, but I've spent $550/person to fly directly into GSP. Flights directly into Atlanta have usually run about $200/person.

Thus, the easiest is to fly into GSP. The least expensive route may very well be through Atlanta, though.

Even if we don't end up in the Big XII, come on out for a visit. There are plenty of Clemson fans that would be more than happy to show you a good time.

GO TIGERS!!!!!

From a convenience standpoint....

Jun 6, 2012, 12:04 PM

flying into GSP (Greenville/Spartanbuarg) is the way to go but it will generally be more expensive. GSP is a small airport that is geared more toward the business traveler and the prices reflect that.

If cost is a big factor for you, Atlanta or Charlotte are generally less expensive than flying into Greenville. The down side is that you would be looking at an hour and-a-half to two hour drive to Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Actually, if booked in advance, Southwest's web fares with a

Jun 6, 2012, 1:07 PM

non-stop to and from GSP to Dallas or Houston is around $380 ROUND TRIP!!! That's killer. Can't beat two one way flights each under $195.

Asheville NC airport is close too....

Jun 6, 2012, 12:09 PM

45 mins from Greenville

Oh so you're going to Baton Rouge?***

Jun 6, 2012, 12:26 PM

If you're going to be a troll at least try to be funny and

Jun 6, 2012, 12:32 PM

original. Don't you have someone's yard trash to dispose of?

Another coot trying to find meaning in his life by trolling

Jun 6, 2012, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Oh so you're going to Baton Rouge?*** ]

it's a sad sad thing.

Oh so you pull for Southern Cal?***

Jun 6, 2012, 4:30 PM [ in reply to Oh so you're going to Baton Rouge?*** ]

Did a little research out of curiosity, Southwest is .......

Jun 6, 2012, 1:03 PM

killer. I looked at a weekend in September to get an idea of fares if booked in advance. You can fly non-stop to and from Geenville/Spartanburg from Dallas-Love or Houston-Hobby for around $380 using the online only fares.

You'd have to fly out on Friday and back in on Sunday. Numerous times and flights both days, so plenty of flexibility.

No can do on a Saturday flight for the weekend I used. There were two Saturday flights, but both were afternoon flights, no morning or evening service on Saturdays.

People were saying "rent a car", but you'd only need to do that if you booked a hotel in Clemson or Anderson. Surely some fine Clemson folks would be more than happy to pick you up at your hotel and let you ride to and from the game with them, especially if you paid for a 12 pack or bought a bucket of chicken.

As far as hotels go, you have two options, depending on your budget. You could get a hotel near the airport and catch a cab to and from the hotel if you are very budget minded. If you really want to get the Clemson experience and don't mind spending a bit more, get a hotel in Clemson for the weekend. You could rent a car if you wanted, but I'd be willing to bet you could meet some folks here on TNET to give you a ride. You might get a different ride on Friday and Sunday, but plenty of people will be going to Clemson on Friday afternoon/evening or early Saturday and back to Greenville on Sunday.

All of this is assuming a solo trip. If you're doing this with a buddy or two, then money is less of an issue since the hotel and rental car can be split several ways.

Personally, I hope we join the Big XII and you get to make that trip to Death Valley. I'm looking forward to seeing us play Baylor or UT in Texas and then I go watch my Cowboys on Sunday.

I think you'd like playing here. Look at the venues

Jun 6, 2012, 2:19 PM

Baylor (new stadium for 2014 or 2015)-

TCU- Stadium remodel opens this year:

Texas-

Tech-

WOW!! Thanks for pics - Baylor by far the best!***

Jun 6, 2012, 4:21 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

idk, UT and TCU are very good places to see a game.

Jun 6, 2012, 4:46 PM

Tech I have not been to. Either way hopefully Clemson joins and we see the Tigers at each of those venues as well as the rest which I link below. OSU, OU, KSU, and WVU are all good ones.

WVU-

Ok St-

KSU-

KU-

ISU-

OU-

Nice new stadium you guys are going to have. What's with the

Jun 6, 2012, 8:24 PM [ in reply to I think you'd like playing here. Look at the venues ]

empty seatless section in yellow?

Clemson should rundown y'all's hill. ;)

Thanks for the links.

Yellow section is where the Baylor Line sits

Jun 7, 2012, 9:22 AM

The freshmen run on the field every game and make a human tunnel the players run out of. Then they have a section carved out for them.

from this link: http://www.baylor.edu/studentactivities/index.php?id=82018

"The Baylor Line is the core of Baylor Spirit and Traditions as an organization composed entirely of new incoming students. The Line, established in 1970, represents the commitment of the entire Baylor Nation to support and cheer on the Bears. As the leaders of the Baylor spirit, all new students arrive early and stay until the singing of That Good Ole Baylor Line after each home football game. All new students represent this great tradition by wearing a football jersey with the number of their graduation year and a nickname on the back. Prior to each home football game, the Line gathers at one end of Floyd Casey Stadium and, led by the cheers of alumni and fans, runs onto the field and creates an enormous human tunnel to welcome the football team to Floyd Casey Stadium. After each player and coach has entered the stadium, The Line takes their seats in an exclusive Baylor Line section behind the opponents' bench to cheer on the Bears to victory."

Video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ_DElJX_v0&feature=fvwrel

First person view: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvAZ2rIgRRE

26 west 85 S exit 19A right turn go till you see feathers!***

Jun 6, 2012, 3:11 PM

Ride on Sammy Watkins dreads. He is very fast.***

Jun 6, 2012, 4:23 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jump out of an airplane above Death Valley.***

Jun 6, 2012, 4:24 PM

Re: Nice new stadium you guys are going to have. What's with the

Jun 6, 2012, 10:25 PM

That's a beauty, should be awesome to catch a game in the new Baylor stadium. I'm curious what that yellow section is too... Any idea?

Yellow section is where the Baylor Line sits

Jun 7, 2012, 9:21 AM

The freshmen run on the field every game and make a human tunnel the players run out of. Then they have a section carved out for them.

from this link: http://www.baylor.edu/studentactivities/index.php?id=82018

"The Baylor Line is the core of Baylor Spirit and Traditions as an organization composed entirely of new incoming students. The Line, established in 1970, represents the commitment of the entire Baylor Nation to support and cheer on the Bears. As the leaders of the Baylor spirit, all new students arrive early and stay until the singing of That Good Ole Baylor Line after each home football game. All new students represent this great tradition by wearing a football jersey with the number of their graduation year and a nickname on the back. Prior to each home football game, the Line gathers at one end of Floyd Casey Stadium and, led by the cheers of alumni and fans, runs onto the field and creates an enormous human tunnel to welcome the football team to Floyd Casey Stadium. After each player and coach has entered the stadium, The Line takes their seats in an exclusive Baylor Line section behind the opponents' bench to cheer on the Bears to victory."

Video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ_DElJX_v0&feature=fvwrel

First person view: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvAZ2rIgRRE

Nice high school stadium, much like wake and duke

Jun 7, 2012, 9:25 AM

will make us feel at home...

New stadium is likely to be the only one Clemson sees

Jun 7, 2012, 9:29 AM

New one will be ready to go in 2014 or 2015 at the latest.

Jun 7, 2012, 9:24 AM

Southwest out of Dallas-Love to GSP. Won't be hard to find a direct flight from there.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic