Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OOC Schedule
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

OOC Schedule

Jun 18, 2012, 1:11 PM

kinda makes you wonder about all the b!tching about the Big XII driving talk. Look at some of the schedules from 20+ years ago. USC played USuCk............. if 3000 miles won't do you in........

http://newsok.com/college-football-ranking-the-nonconference-schedules/article/3685456

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OOC Schedule

Jun 18, 2012, 2:06 PM

That's one game that happened 20 years ago. Not the same as going every year/every other year.

Don't forget that longer travel times can also equal less time in the classroom/Vickery for the athletes as well. I know academics apparently don't matter, but it would start to matter if we suddenly had more kids unable to play because of poor grades.

These guys already have to put in 20 hours of practice + 10 hours of Vickery tutoring + 12-16 hours of classes each week. Add in travel time, party time, and extra workout/film study time and on top of that and you're looking at not getting much sleep at all. Add in even more travel time (and don't tell me they can sleep on the plane...I don't know about you, but it's a bit hard for me to sleep on a plane, and I bet it's really hard to sleep for the players that happen to be way bigger than I am on the team, too just due to lack of comfort).

It's a far-reaching anti-Big 12 statement, yes, but it is just another one of the minor details that has to go into the decision process. In my opinion, the ACC is where we need to be. We have the teams in place to be a power football conference, we just haven't consistently performed across the board. Want more cash? Play better football. It doesn't matter what conference you're in. Want a seat at the table for NC game? We showed last year that we can play an ACC schedule and get where we need to be. If we had won out, we would have easily been top 4 and therefore easily in the playoff being discussed.

Win, and everything will work itself out from there. End of story.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OOC Schedule

Jun 18, 2012, 2:10 PM

****Add in even more travel time (...) and distance with Big 12 schedule and you get even less sleep time.

Sorry, got sidetracked by my plane sleeping thought...

Article implies the SEC pads the the schedule with as many

Jun 18, 2012, 2:18 PM

Cupcake games as possible. SEC is overrated. Couple of good teams (Alabama, LSU, maybe UGA) and thats it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, you see what happens when the SEC plays the top teams

Jun 18, 2012, 2:25 PM

from other conferences.

Never mind.

Re: Article implies the SEC pads the the schedule with as many

Jun 18, 2012, 7:39 PM [ in reply to Article implies the SEC pads the the schedule with as many ]

When you look at it, SEC has a really good structure football wise.

They have the few heavy hitter programs in Bama, Auburn, Florida, LSU followed by your mid range with Arkansas, UGA, etc that have really good teams every once in a while, followed by Vandy, Kentucky, etc who are there for basketball.

The ACC on the other hand, is very competitive across the board right now. We have the upper-mid teams (compared to SEC top) in Clemson, FSU, VT, GT/Miami if they can pull it together. That's followed by a bunch of middle-roaders who can pull out the big win every so often in NCSt, UNC, Maryland, and BC though they have gone down a bit recently. After that you have Duke, WF and whoever else we might have. I think FSU and Clemson are on their way to building that elite status like the SEC tops have, but they aren't QUITE there yet.

ACC needs to develop the top tier teams that can consistently win in and out of their conference. I feel like FSU and Clemson are on their way to doing that. If VT can kick it up juuuust a wee bit more, then they would be in the boat, too. GT is power option and will never fare well in bowl games b/c of it, so they are disqualified. If Miami could come back and be an upper-mid team, that'd be good.

The problem is that there are teams improving across the board in the ACC. Look at UNC (despite the cheating) over the past few years and how they've improved. They are really spending hard on their facilities right now. Then look at UVA who is beginning to get a bit better, too. We just need us and FSU and maybe VT or Miami to really amp it up faster (and again, I think they are) and this league could become pretty powerful.

I'd like to see the ACC schedule a Home/Away series with

Jun 18, 2012, 8:01 PM

the Pac-12 that takes place weeks 1-3. Seed the teams from each conference based on cumulative 2-year records prior and have at it. It's hard to pull something like this off with the 9-game conference schedule though, but still possible. Basically an East Coast / West Coast showdown that could be packaged up for TV. It would help better establish conference and strength of schedule rankings, and kind of serve as a regular season means to further differentiate top 4 standings ahead of the new 4-team playoff format being developed. Set it up for a 4-year trial period, with the 2nd home / away series seeded but eliminating duplicate match-ups from the first go around. The two lowest ACC seeds would be left out each session.

With an 8-game conference schedule this could really work, and it would give the league a chance to provide content for ESPN in place of not having the 9th conference game per the media contract.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic