Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Yeah, yeah, yeah, put on a mask crap
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,638

Yeah, yeah, yeah, put on a mask crap

Jun 21, 2020, 8:16 PM

It’s cool to wear a mask and all , but if you really want to make a long term change identify the source and permanently correct it. The last several nasty viruses have came from...you guessed it! CHINA! So let’s put together a bill that stats if you have traveled to China or any of the Surrounding countries, you have to be mandatory quarantined for 2 weeks from now on!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Too easy. Makes too much since***

Jun 21, 2020, 8:18 PM

But it's so much cooler to "follow the herd" over the cliff

Jun 21, 2020, 8:58 PM

treating the symptoms than to actually get to the source of the problem...

Re: Yeah, yeah, yeah, put on a mask crap

Jun 22, 2020, 6:57 AM

Better yet....let's just not travel to China or allow Chinese travelers here. Most idiotic thing we do is allow their students to attend our Universities and steal our tech.

Everything they learn here, they go back over there and use against us. Don't understand all the media love for China. They are worse enemies than Iran and Russia combined.

Jun 22, 2020, 7:05 AM

Our Universities are driven by profit, just like cooperate America. They want as many tuition paying fannies in the desks as possible. My daughter attends Miami University which has a large Chinese student population. When this thing was getting started in China, very early January of this year, they sent out emails to The Chinese students telling them to hurry up and fly to America for fall semester before the borders closed. I sh!t you not. Hurry up and get students INTO the country from the start of a deadly pandemic so they wouldn’t miss out on tuition checks! I would not have believed it if my daughter had not shown me copies of the emails. I just shake my head at the greed and stupidity.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh I believe it. You are right on target.***

Jun 22, 2020, 7:09 AM

Jun 22, 2020, 7:27 AM

Nasty viruses have also come from North America. The 2009 H1N1 virus that killed over 18,000 people originated in either the USA or Mexico.

If you want to contain the spread of a virus, take measures to protect yourself and others in your community. This includes washing your hands, wearing a mask, and avoiding large crowds. These are things that you can do. You have control over your own behaviors and you are able to help contain the spread. You are able to choose if you want to help or not.

Some masks are better than others. All masks are effective. Some of the best information we have about the spread of small particles (like what comes out of our mouth when we sneeze or cough or talk) comes from a research lab at Virginia Tech, and some of the individuals in this lab are Clemson graduates!

Mask effectiveness link: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/06/21/880832213/yes-wearing-masks-helps-heres-why

Fun fact: Did you know that the Spanish flu of 1918 did not originate in Spain? We do not name viruses after countries because the first to detect the virus might not be where the virus originated.

Useless unless the rest of the world does the same thing.

Jun 22, 2020, 9:12 AM

I'd argue most of the "original" American cases (contracted outside the country) came from Italy, not China. But they could have come from anywhere. Once it leaves China, every other country is a threat. So unless you're willing to go world-wide with the xenophobia, your China bill might slow a virus down a week or two.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So was China being autophobic when it closed off Wuhan?

Jun 22, 2020, 1:20 PM

I'd argue most of the "original" American cases (contracted outside the country) came from Italy, not China. But they could have come from anywhere. Once it leaves China, every other country is a threat. So unless you're willing to go world-wide with the xenophobia, your China bill might slow a virus down a week or two.

China needs to come clean. China managed to keep things fairly well in check internally by locking down Wuhan, but by lying about person to person transmission and permitting citizens from Wuhan to travel abroad freely, either through negligence or through an act of aggression, allowed the virus to spread virtually to every nation.

Trump, while often unpresidential in my opinion, made the right call to initially close off travelers from China and subsequently Europe. These moves slowed down the spread in the US and may well have prevented hospitals from running out of ventilators. I give Trump credit for making those decisions. Is Justin Trudeau xenophobic for closing Canada's borders to the alien US citizens?

This virus is flourishing in the US and certainly in SC. Plasma transfusions from previously infected patients to those ill with COVID-19 and the usage of steroids in those very ill are some bright spots. However, if many continue to go out in public without a mask or fail to socially distance, things are only going to get worse. Most infected young and healthy people will do fine if they are infected. However, by not wearing masks, etc. many more folks are going to die needlessly.

It was not xenophobic to close our borders. It delayed the inevitable spread to the US and by probably more than a week or two. Where are those numbers from?

Fatalism or indifference to this problem is not a solution. Is Clemson being illogical in imposing a quarantine on the athletes that are COVID positive or exposed to COVID? Those kids are gonna be fine. Trump dealt with the hotspots at the time just as CU is dealing with its problem. Attacking the problem the best you can seems to be a better approach than blowing off the problem which seems to be locally what many of South Carolineans are doing. Control what you can control and deal with what you can't.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 22, 2020, 1:54 PM

Guess you have never travelled and been in international airports much? Mass of folks all from everywhere across the globe mingling about waiting on next flight, not gonna work at all.

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,638
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic