Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This post probably won’t be taken well but...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

This post probably won’t be taken well but...

Aug 3, 2018, 1:52 AM

Does anyone else ever wish that Dabo would look at some JUCO guys? Obviously his recruiting plan has done just fine without my assistance but getting a premier juco guy with experience would be huge some years. For example the number 2 juco player in this class is a 6’7 Hawaiian monster offensive tackle who’s committed to Oregon. Think about having him for the next 2 years... obviously you wonder about character and how’d they fit into our culture but dang some of these guys are talented. Does anyone know if Dabo has ever taken a juco guy in his tenure as head coach? But either way, it still goes to show how much better our program is than most if we don’t even have to look to juco. Not putting Dabo or staff down at all just wondering what his philosophy on juco was and such. Wanted to see if any of y’all ever thought about this as well

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This post probably won’t be taken well but...

Aug 3, 2018, 6:40 AM

Dabo has specifically stated he strongly prefers high school recruiting. He doesn’t look into JuCo guys.

I’m fine with it. JuCo guys that are talented enough to play at Clemson are generally in JuCo because they have baggage.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 3, 2018, 9:33 AM

Actually, Dabo hasn't quite said that...he's said exactly the opposite. He'd like to take them, but there tends to be a problem with transfer hours trying to transfer to Clemson.

https://www.tigernet.com/update/Dabo-Swinney-on-signing-JUCO-players-7716

"Dabo Swinney responded to Bart Wright JUCO question and said "I finally agree w/you on something. Swinney said during his press conference that he would really like to see Clemson accept junior college players to be able to fill holes if neccesary.

"It would be nice to fit 2-3 great ones annually that would fit our program," said Swinney.

He went on to say that he hopes the new Athletic Director will allow more leeway in allowing Clemson to sign JUCO players and that Clemson lacks a degree program that allows JUCO guys to to get into and have their hours transfer. "

you brought actual facts to the discussion too late for

Aug 3, 2018, 10:43 AM

some of these posts that are nothing but conjecture and high-mindedness... i'm just stunned at how many posts are either COMPLETELY unaware or TOTALLY dismissive of Dabo's statements about JUCO's.

JUCOs were good for Danny in certain situations, and Dabo feels the same way... not EVERY JUCO is a risk not worth taking and Dabo himself said it... the comments on this board sometimes just baffling...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 3, 2018, 7:07 AM

Dabo recruits kids based on maintaining the Clemson culture. If a kid has bad grades or other indicators of the bad character traits he is avoiding, then he “red flags” them. A JUCO kid is in JuCO for a reason.
Let Dabo be Dabo in recruiting. It’s not about stars it’s about culture. Built to last.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 3, 2018, 7:13 AM

One bad apple actually CAN spoil the whole bunch. Talent on the field with trouble in the locker room doesn't bode well for long term success.

Ive heard, JUCOs credits don’t often transfer into Clemson

Aug 3, 2018, 7:16 AM

So it’s harder to take a JUCO. Have no idea if this is true. Most of the coot JUCOs seem to be busts, so it’s not concerning to me. It would be nice to find a DT for next year

No

Aug 3, 2018, 7:30 AM

JUCO's are generally a sign that two things are going on within a program:

1) The coaching staff is misevaluating players out of high school

2) The coaching staff isn't developing players

Neither is a problem at Clemson, which is why we don't recruit JUCO's.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah they don't even blink at a juco

Aug 3, 2018, 7:52 AM

I happened to be in the right place at the right time when Mike Reed was recruiting a couple HS players from my hometown. One runs a legit 4.4 and has the perfect body type for D1. The first thing Reed asked about was his grades and home life. The HS coach mentioned that he needed help in the classroom and Juco was probably gonna be his route. Reed's exact words were "We don't take juco's, who else ya got?" There's not even a 2nd thought for this staff when the juco word is uttered.

Re: Yeah they don't even blink at a juco

Aug 3, 2018, 8:19 AM

Great story, that pretty much says it all.

A friend of mine coached baseball at Miss State back when they were making CWS appearences. He said that when he scouted HS players his 1st inquiry was about their grades. If they had less than a 3.0 GPA he wasn't interested in anything else about them (just like Mike Reed).

He said that if a kid wasn't "taking care of business in the classroom" it meant that he was lazy. Laziness was a charachter issue, and to baseball coaches that was a "big red flag".

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope...

Aug 3, 2018, 8:06 AM

Recruiting JuCo's is a desperate attempt to build immediate short term depth and compensate for lousy recruiting and/or player evaluation/development.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

The folks who wish for Juco players are the same people who .....

Aug 3, 2018, 8:27 AM

....are the same people who wish Clemson was in the SEC. And are the same people who cry about Finebaum and McElroy not fluffing the Clemson program on demand.

I'm perfectly fine with the current anti-Juco policies.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not worth the risk

Aug 3, 2018, 8:32 AM

There’s a reason these guys are in JUCO with how many strings D1 programs can pull to get guys qualified (cough...Clowney...cough). Usually it’s some sort of discipline issue, which grades would fall under the umbrella of IMO, and you don’t want to run the risk of that infiltrating the program’s culture Dabo and staff has worked so hard to create.

Plus, if you’ve watched Last Chance U a lot of those kids they show are either soft, have awful attitudes, or think they’re way too good to be there.

NO.***

Aug 3, 2018, 8:38 AM

Aug 3, 2018, 8:40 AM

I may be wrong but I thought there was a problem getting JUCO players into Clemson as well. Something about credits transferring. I thought this was also part of the problem.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 3, 2018, 9:34 AM

yep...it's not really Dabo, as much as it it the AD and the transfer hours:
https://www.tigernet.com/update/Dabo-Swinney-on-signing-JUCO-players-7716

Watch Second Chance U on Netflix

Aug 3, 2018, 9:06 AM

and it will become apparent. Read where most of these guys are now and it is really apparent,

Entertaining to watch but sad. So many of these guys have talent but are lazy or trouble makers. That show is only about one junior college but I also don't think they learn to improve academically either as the whole focus is to keep them eligible to play and to "graduate" in December with a 2.5.

These guys have an opportunity at a free 4 year degree. Their family and friends need to keep blowing them up about the NFL. 90% of them will never touch an NFL field but they have an opportunity for a degree.

We made three straight playoffs without them, sooooo...***

Aug 3, 2018, 9:25 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

JUCO is a slippery slope and NOT how to build programs

Aug 3, 2018, 9:37 AM

consistency - by the time most JUCO transfers become integrated in the program and systems they are out of or almost out of eligibility.

99% of the time signing JUCO players is a sign of desperation and that you did not do a good job of player evaluation and development on the front end.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water the Point Tree

Aug 3, 2018, 10:58 AM

No - There isba reason they are in JUCO. Dabo would rather have a kid for 4 years

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic