Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On 2nd Thought: a Look Back at the 2020 CFP Championship
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

On 2nd Thought: a Look Back at the 2020 CFP Championship

May 28, 2020, 12:45 PM

Upon further review, I think one stat in particular told the story of the Clemson/LSU game... 3rd down conversions (and one 4th down):

Key stats from the championship game:
Statistic Clemson LSU
1st Downs 23 29
3rd down eff. 1-11 4-14
(9%) (29%)
4th down eff. 0-0 1-1 (100%)

Clemson's defense did a very good job of holding LSU to just under 29% conversion rate on 3rd down... but the Clemson offense struggled mightily, only converting 9% themselves. This was mostly due to incomplete passes - Trevor Lawrence did not have a good game: 18 of 37 (49%) for 234 yards (6.3 yds/att) and a QB rating of 38.1 (compared to Burrow's 85.6 rating).

Clemson's failure to exploit the LSU defense to a greater degree ultimately cost them the game, but that's not the interesting story... How did LSU convert those 3rd and 4th downs against the #1 defense in the country? What happened when they didn't convert? Here's the story of the #1 offense vs. the #1 defense on 3rd down:

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2020/01/on-2nd-thought-2020-national.html

BOTTOM LINE: Despite what the final score might lead you to believe, Clemson wasn't blown out as some have claimed. It was actually a close, back-and-forth game through 3 quarters. The offense didn't do enough, and the defense eventually wore down. It's also possible that the players were still feeling the effects of that heavyweight fight with Ohio State (whereas if the Buckeyes had been the #1 seed they would've played LSU in the first round, in Atlanta, as it SHOULD have been.

JMO, though. What are your thoughts? Did the Clemson defense play well against LSU? Was the travel and the game against Ohio State a factor in the loss? Is Clemson the favorite to win it all in 2020-21?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Travel to play OSU was not a factor. Offensive play calling

May 28, 2020, 12:51 PM

and abandoning ETN was a factor. Losing Skalski was a factor. LSU's dbs and WRs physically dominating our dbs and WRs was a factor. They played better than we did and Burrow dropped some dimes.

Using travel or a first round matchup is an excuse losers make like Bama did the year before. We're not losers, we're Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Still can't believe Clemson let VPI&SU run down the hill...

May 28, 2020, 12:53 PM

and then they crap all over the Alma Mater.

Now I really hate 'em.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not to mention they crapped all over our Alma Mater

May 28, 2020, 12:56 PM

right after OUR band played THEIR Alma Mater. Classless turkeys.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Werd, I think this true Clemson fan said it best...

May 28, 2020, 12:57 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a real and true Clemson fan, and a great patriot!***

May 28, 2020, 1:00 PM

If bob had game, he should model it after that true fan...

May 28, 2020, 1:01 PM

If only.

Re: Still can't believe Clemson let VPI&SU run down the hill...

May 28, 2020, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Still can't believe Clemson let VPI&SU run down the hill... ]

What in the world are you even talking about? VT hasn't played a football game at Clemson since 2012...

Re: Still can't believe Clemson let VPI&SU run down the hill...

May 28, 2020, 1:40 PM

#NeverForget***

May 28, 2020, 1:53 PM

Yeah, our offensive playcalling, particularly in the CFP was

May 28, 2020, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Travel to play OSU was not a factor. Offensive play calling ]

horrible last year...We have a QB who is going to be a high draft pick and we call ourselves WRU and our big wrinkle was to run him? We were trying to open a can of beans with Excalibur...Where was the dynamic playcalling? Why can't we manufacture offense when we are loaded with high draft picks at the skill positions?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Offensive game plan seemed to be very lacking in Ohio State

May 28, 2020, 12:58 PM

and LSU games. Seemed very hit or miss. Lacked fluidity. Not many drives where we just marched it down the field. We usually either completed a big chunk play or didn't do anything. Maybe we can start this year not looking for the big play but methodically hitting our check downs and slow drip some of these teams. 4 yard play here, 7 yard play next, 4 yard play here, 10 yard play next, 15 yard play next,etc... instead of 1 yard play, 1 yard play, and 22 yard play. And spread the balls around to everyone. We have too many good WR's to only look at TEE and Justyn the majority of the time last year.

Explosive plays will always be...especially if you can control the ball and spread it out . Thats all timing and route runnning. One thing i'll say Spurrier did extra well was teaching his QBs and WRs timing. He could take a freaking Blake Mitchell and make him look like a top QB. Just because the attacked specific areas, and they were time throws and route breaks...They were always open. If we ever did that her with our QBs and our WRs we would be unstoppable.

Jeff Scott was distracted.***

May 28, 2020, 2:09 PM

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I tend to believe this...Sadly, I also think he was our best

May 28, 2020, 3:21 PM

offensive coach leading up till this season

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TL16 had a bad day but the 3rd & 19 broke the bank.

May 29, 2020, 7:11 AM

No penalty there and come back with momentum to put up some points.

That was a huge swing.....

Re: On 2nd Thought: a Look Back at the 2020 CFP Championship

May 29, 2020, 7:24 AM

Not using ETN translate into poor coaching and Lawrence was still hurting from the Ohio State game.

May 29, 2020, 8:44 AM

I haven’t rewatched the game and probably never will so off the top of my head:

We abandoned ETN in the second half when we should have fed him. It would have controlled more of the clock and made one of our playmakers the focal point.

Refs stunk but did not determine the game. CEH was out of bounds. I still think they score that drive. Not reviewing that was a joke. Jamarr Chase pushes off on one of the long TDs which is rarely called, but they took one of ours off the board on Tee.

DK’s pass interference right before the half was a killer on 3rd and long. We got them off the field and even had a minute or 2 to score possibly. However, LSU kept the ball and scored a TD.

I didn’t hate the D’s game plan. We forced a lot of throws outside the hashes. Burrow played really well and that was our best chance of beating them. LSU was the better team that day and season. No shame in losing in the National Championship game.

May 29, 2020, 1:44 PM

I got sick of all these non-LSU SEC fans talking about how LSU "blew out" Clemson (yeah, I'm a Hokie - but my Dad and my mother's brother both went to Clemson). The very thing ESPN always touts to show how good SEC teams are - the infamous "game control" metric - Clemson looked MUCH better than either Alabama or Georgia against LSU. Both of those teams got rolled early (although Bama tried to come back), while Clemson was within a field goal late in the 3rd quarter. Eventually the Clemson defense appeared to wear down a bit, giving up a pair of late TDs - but when it's an ACC team running up the score late, that's not "game control"... whatever!

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic