Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Elliott uses baseball analogy to break down the running game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

New Story: Elliott uses baseball analogy to break down the running game

Apr 15, 2015, 8:01 AM

Elliott uses baseball analogy to break down the running game

Offensive coordinator Tony Elliott stepped away from the usual football coach-speak Saturday afternoon when talking about his group of running backs following the spring game, instead choosing to rely on baseball terms when describing the group’s play. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

surely things aren't that bad***

Apr 15, 2015, 8:12 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: surely things aren't that bad***

Apr 15, 2015, 8:49 AM

Coach speak, Elliot is taking his turn at pushing the pile, and good coaches will continue to push the pile and push it hard. I like that type of personality personally!!! Good coaches have the ability to convince his players that things aren't as good as they may think they are. Most of the time that will turn good players into better players, and better players into great players. Never satisfied coaches will most of the time send good/great players out on the field. We always hear to be the best, you have to beat the best. That will never happen if our coaches except good enough, when good enough will never be enough to beat the best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Elliott uses baseball analogy to break down the running game

Apr 15, 2015, 8:39 AM

Great read, and good comparison by Elliott. It seems the staff really gets the big picture, and understands what it takes to get to that next level. With young guys wanting to be stars, it's easy to swing for the home run, but reality is it often isn't there, and it's those tough 3-4 yards we chew up that sustains drives, and keeps defenses honest. Albeit, the spring is a good time to get good practice and game situation reps, but by no means determines who exits the fall as the starter. There's too many intangibles with split teams and match ups. A lot will change by fall, but I fully expect Gallman to start as of now. Unfortunately for Dye, injuries set him back last season and he's just getting his mojo back. He will be a completely different back come August if he works hard like I know he will. I kind of look at the RB situation in sets, and fully expect to see some 2-back sets in the offense. I think Gallman and Dye start out for us, followed by Davidson and Fuller, with Brooks sprinkled in passing options out of the backfield. Regardless that's a good group of backs, and by 2016, with Feaster in the rotation we will be deadly. It's a great time to be a Tiger, and kudos to the staff on an amazing job!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2015, 9:38 AM

Agreed, and a good post. I also believe that it will be Gallman and Dye coming out of August. I don't know what Dye's weight is right now, but after he has had time to really get into the the daily grind of summer workouts and get back to where he was before his injury. I would love to see him at 225/230 and not affect his speed all that much. Dye could be that back we have needed to get that one/two yards that we have failed to get many times last year that stalled plays that ended up with us having to turn the ball over on downs inside 20 yard line, or settle for 3 points. Dye and Gallman could be the two backs we have needed these past 3/4 years to get us to the next level. And If we stay pretty healthy throughout the season without any season ending injuries. I believe we move up to the next level this season. I believe that every year, but this could be the year it really happens. Goooooo Tigersssss!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With all due respect...

Apr 15, 2015, 9:45 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Elliott uses baseball analogy to break down the running game ]

I really do mean this with all due respect, so I hope you take it that way. I think our fans have kind of made Dye an urban legend. Some schools didn't even recruit his as a RB. He wasn't THAT highly touted as a RB for such high expectations. Nobody has ever seen him go off like he had mojo at one point. I am not saying he won't be awesome soon, or didn't have that potential before his injuries. I am just saying it surprises me how everyone always thought Dye would be the man once healthy. I was always cautiously optimistic from the time we signed him until now. Anyway, I am just rambling. Looks like we have a good solid group of rb's. The future is bright.

Re: With all due respect...

Apr 15, 2015, 10:19 AM

Valid points for sure. And unfortunately for Dye, Feister will be here next spring and Choice will be healthy. Plus Ray Ray is going to play like a hybrid from what I've heard. It's really hard to imagine how he'll be getting many snaps with all the other talent. I'm pulling for him though.

any chance you're thinking of gallman as the rb that

Apr 15, 2015, 10:33 AM [ in reply to With all due respect... ]

was recruited as a lb[or other pos] by some schools?

tyshon seems to be the only "true" or "pure" running back prospect on roster.

gallman - lb/rb
brooks - rb/wr
davidson - rb/wr/track
choice - played qb
fuller - safety/lb/rb
dye - rb

i agree, a lot of dye's potential is based on what came out of fall camp his freshman year[and hs film] before he tweaked his back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: any chance you're thinking of gallman as the rb that

Apr 15, 2015, 12:49 PM

Yeah of course we all know about Gallman possibly being a LB and that was the debate among our fans. Tyshon Dye was recruited by us to play RB, but some other schools recruited him as a LB.
Here is the quote from his HS coach.

Elbert County coach Sid Fritts said. “This is just my opinion, I think he’s a tremendous linebacker, a guy who can probably get there on Sundays at that position. And that’s not to take anything away from him as a running back. He’s a great running back, the best I’ve ever had. He does have vision and speed. He runs with a linebacker’s mentality. I think he could be a tremendous linebacker for somebody but he wants to play running back in college.”

we don't "all" know as i've had to give people that info

Apr 15, 2015, 1:11 PM

i have never seen an offer for tyshon as a lb, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. the "context"[?] of that answer might not mean he was offered as a lb, but no harm if he was.

also, every rating i've seen of the young man was as a rb, not an athlete or lb or other as has been the case in some of these questionable instances.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: we don't "all" know as i've had to give people that info

Apr 15, 2015, 1:29 PM

Sorry about that. Good point. Yeah I followed his recruiting closely. He had schools recruiting him as a LB and that was a big reason he chose us.

Re: we don't "all" know as i've had to give people that info

Apr 15, 2015, 1:41 PM

This is an old ESPN article the touches on it. I used to be a member of ESPN, Scout, and Rivals. I read a few articles where Dye claimed that some schools were recruiting him as a LB and it was a big factor in his decision. Anyway, hope he breaks out this year. He deserves it with all the patience he has shown and the positive attitude he has displayed.

Tyshon Dye (Elberton, Ga./Elbert County) has heard the speculation that he will play linebacker in college. He is not overly excited about that prospect.

“I would prefer running back all day, every day,” Dye said. “If it was my only option I would take it.”

Such a scenario is unlikely since Dye already has offers from Georgia and Clemson, two programs known for having great running backs. Last season Dye picked up 1,561 yards and 21 touchdowns on 212 carries. So why all the linebacker talk? Well, quite simply, he is good at it.

As a sophomore he was able to tally 18 unassisted tackles in one game. For his junior season he remained almost exclusively on the offensive side of the ball, but Dye knows defensive coaches are keeping an eye on him as well. The 6-foot, 205-pound athlete is keeping his options open.

ok, that's similar to some of the gallman articles, but i

Apr 15, 2015, 1:45 PM

thought they'd differentiated the lb only offers.

good finds though and thanks.

Re: ok, that's similar to some of the gallman articles, but i

Apr 15, 2015, 2:02 PM

No prob and sorry to look like I went overboard digging them up. Here is a question to push the envelope some. Let's say Feaster, Gallman, Choice, and Fuller are all awesome next year, would you ever think Dye would ever move to LB?

no worries and not at all, i like that stuff.

Apr 15, 2015, 2:17 PM

and honestly, idk - i don't believe we've seen the best dye has to offer yet at rb, all things considered. he many never get back to where he could have been, but still, he's fighting back from a long layoff.

i just hope he[and all of them] gets to where he wants to be.

Yeah me too. It's what he wants as well.**

Apr 15, 2015, 3:43 PM

nm

In my opinion,

Apr 15, 2015, 7:20 PM [ in reply to Re: ok, that's similar to some of the gallman articles, but i ]

If he doesn't improve at RB during Summer workouts and when practice starts, i think he will find himself lost in the rotation on our depth chart. I hope he improves at RB bc if he can reach his full potential, he will be unstoppable and find his way on top of the depth chart very soon. He could be our main guy despite all of the talented RBs we have but that's up to him. If he doesn't put in the hard work, which i think he will, then maybe a position move to LB will be the best option for him to be able to make it into the league. I just think that if he doesn't show something this year and with all of the talent we will have at RB in 2016 then the coaches may bring up the idea of moving to LB. He may not be very happy about that and could result in him transferring but if the coaches think that's whats best for him to make it into the NFL then he should accept the move and put in the work to be a NFL caliber LB.

It will be interesting to see...

Apr 17, 2015, 5:00 AM

I agree. Thanks for the response.

ok, from the little i've seen i think he's that good of a

Apr 15, 2015, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Re: we don't "all" know as i've had to give people that info ]

football player & he seems to enjoy contact, which i <3 in any player.

watching his rb film, i thought he set up his blocks really well, showed nice patience, some burst and finished everything with intent... all be it, those were highlights so he should look the part.

i must say, i give gallman a ton of credit, he really slowed down late in the year and allowed things to happen in front of him.

i do think clemson's in a pretty good spot right now and can only improve with another summer & fall to develop there.

i'm interested to see the feaster kid. he seems more in line with the dalvin cooks of the world, just another level.

Couldn't agree more.****

Apr 15, 2015, 2:05 PM

nm

Apr 15, 2015, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Elliott uses baseball analogy to break down the running game ]

Do not forget Choice was starting ahead of Gallman before he was injured.
I expect Choice to be at QB in some short yardage situations.

Baseball analogy? Is he saying other teams

Apr 15, 2015, 11:08 AM

don't want to play us right now?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Or, he isn't willing to push the PANIC button?

Apr 15, 2015, 11:16 AM

Or, is he a coward to come on the Mane Bored after a win?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

kenny says...

Apr 15, 2015, 11:26 AM

you don't have to fight to be a man...

I hope this time opposing teams read the article....

Apr 15, 2015, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Baseball analogy? Is he saying other teams ]

unlike Jack's.

null

maybe you shood

Apr 15, 2015, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Baseball analogy? Is he saying other teams ]

take your base and let the grown ups talk the baseballs?

Look at bob...got all his weight on his back nub....

Apr 15, 2015, 11:22 AM

and laid off the high cheese.

null

last time bob tried to get over the top

Apr 15, 2015, 11:27 AM

they called the spca.

Is that Jack's next recruit from New England?***

Apr 15, 2015, 11:26 AM [ in reply to maybe you shood ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

small ball.***

Apr 15, 2015, 11:27 AM

Coach Elliot is special

Apr 15, 2015, 4:31 PM

I don't know how many realize it at this point,but he will take this offense to a new level.

Heard Dabo bragging on him about 3 years ago here in Charleston. He is Smart and won't miss the details in preparation or play calling. This is going to be fun to watch as long as he is here.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic