Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone miss Vic Koenning?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Anyone miss Vic Koenning?

Sep 23, 2012, 8:06 PM

I'd take a bend/don't break D right now. I hope we can get it together.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes...never thought i would say it though!!!***

Sep 23, 2012, 8:07 PM

THIS! ***

Sep 23, 2012, 9:00 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

This is NOT Venables fault....nor was it Steels fault

Sep 23, 2012, 9:39 PM [ in reply to yes...never thought i would say it though!!!*** ]

Its whoever is responsible for recruiting. We have been lights out on skill position players but we have been below par recruiting both offensive and defensive lineman. We have been below par on recruiting talented corners and even safetys. This is why we run the offense that we do. The idea is to get the ball out of the QB's hands before the D can get to the QB or to trick them in to thinking its going one way when we run the other. On D I guess they simply thought we would outscore everyone and D would not be necessary. They did better at lb recruiting last year but that is about it and also blanks was a great get. It will help when RN comes in but we need farrrr more than him to change things. Simply getting one top recruit at DE will not change anything. We need LOTS of help on D not just one guy. Adams would probably be the most important recruit was could get even more so than RN.

We also had a 12 person recruiting class in 2009.

Sep 23, 2012, 9:41 PM

Why does everyone keep forgetting that? That was basically like being on probation and losing scholarships.

That lack of depth is really showing as those extra 12-13

Sep 23, 2012, 11:02 PM

guys would be redshirt juniors and seniors. The whiffs in recruiting at DB are really showing and the lack of upper classmen(1 SR and no JR's on the DL) as well. I think we begin to see more of Reeder and Watkins at DT(although I think Williams and Jarrett will be good players) and more of the young LB's beginning this week.

Re: Anyone miss Vic Koenning?

Sep 23, 2012, 8:08 PM

No no hell no

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2012, 8:09 PM

lol

Re: Re: Anyone miss Vic Koenning?

Sep 23, 2012, 8:09 PM

Lol. Tell us how you really feel.

That ain't happening,so...

Sep 23, 2012, 8:12 PM

ya gotta get over that.

But sure, VK wasa great coach.

I miss Andre Branch, Coty Sensabaugh, Brandon Thompson,

Sep 23, 2012, 8:15 PM

Marcus Gilchrist, Byron Maxwell, Deandre McDaniel, DaQuan Bowers, Ricky Sapp, Jarvis Jenkins, Jamie Cumbie, Kavell Connor, Leroy Hill, Chris Clemmons, Anthony Simmons, Keith Adams, Gaines Adams, Phillip Merling, Crezdon Butler, etc.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I hear you. I'm looking forward to someone stepping up.***

Sep 23, 2012, 8:16 PM

Yeah cause he could take this defense and make

Sep 23, 2012, 8:18 PM

make magic happen. Do you people understand anything about football? You can't be this stupid

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know I want a DC who felt he was passed over for the

Sep 23, 2012, 8:20 PM

same job. It has to be a recipe for success and cohesion.

I don't know anything about football. Never claimed to.

Sep 23, 2012, 8:21 PM

Insulting me is like insulting a cab driver for being a bad farmer. It doesn't mean crap.

Vic's D would not have had an answer last night

Sep 23, 2012, 8:32 PM

Vic was great against good teams, but he sucked against great teams. FSU is a great team.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, but I do miss Danny Ford***

Sep 23, 2012, 8:35 PM

THIS TWICE!***

Sep 23, 2012, 9:02 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Sep 23, 2012, 8:42 PM

Get a life. It is obvious you aren't qualified to evaluate a ham sandwich. Speak your mind but leave professional evaluations to people with experience, not knee jerk reactions. It must be nice to be perfect!

Sadly, yes***

Sep 23, 2012, 8:43 PM

Sep 23, 2012, 8:45 PM

Vic has been gone 4 years. He had a good ranked defense here with very little help from the offense. Dabo didnt like him so he left. Then he went on to Illinois and had a number 7 defense in two years. In time he will do well at North Carolina. Just as Venables will probably do here. Some crazy person called El Tigre even said Vic was responsible for what was happening now. Stupidest thing I ever heard. People shouldnt post when they are still emotional after a loss.

yeah i'm the stupid one...

Sep 23, 2012, 9:47 PM

you bring his sorry tail back and you'll be begging for his butt to go in two years. How many hardnosed defenses did he have while he was here? He had some of the best talent in our history and couldn't produce a sack leader or a 3rd down stop. You just don't remember because all you remember was 70-33.

I just can't, for the life of me, understand anyone who would want that dude back? Dabo kicked him to the curb for a reason. He wanted a more aggressive defense...which in translation was one that didn't allow opposing teams to control the clock and never get stops. We had all these awesome players but we never had the success we thought. Because he had 4 and 5 star guys playing 10 yards off recievers and would never make adjustment...

He was a stat coach..just like spence was...passing efficiency was high percentage but what did we get...losses. Go back and watch some of those games..it was excrutiating to watch how much better we were than some of those teams but we couldn't get off the field on D. I don't care what he did at Illinois..it didn't work here. Blame it on the offense if you want. I hated his defense.

Re: yeah i'm the stupid one...

Sep 23, 2012, 9:57 PM

Ha. You have serious issues. Vic has moved on and is successful. Just because dabo didn't like him doesnt mean he is a bad coach. Relax. Tommy and that staff recruited good defensive talent and coached them well. Dabo is getting good d talent for next year. It will work out. Give it time.

agreed, which is why i'm saying quit talking about

Sep 23, 2012, 10:14 PM

vic koenning as some great DC. WE have BV and thats the best man for the job. So..... what are you talking about? I think you're getting confused, i'm taking up for our defensive coaches not blasting them by saying old sucky coaches are better

Sep 23, 2012, 8:51 PM

Look at the differance in the skill of the players vic had to work with venables is a #### good coach but only god can turn water in to wine

Sep 23, 2012, 8:56 PM

He!! NO! He was a joke.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No..... Next question?***

Sep 23, 2012, 9:00 PM

Because he's doing so well at UNC?

Sep 23, 2012, 9:16 PM

He gave up 28 to Wake and 39 to Louisville.

Re: Because he's doing so well at UNC?

Sep 23, 2012, 9:30 PM

Ha. So Venables needs time but no other new coach in a new place doesn't right? I think both will do well eventually. It's so hard to reason with haters.

I was just pointing out he's not doing much better right now***

Sep 23, 2012, 9:31 PM

I hope you're kidding...that was the worst D scheme we

Sep 23, 2012, 9:34 PM

ever had.

VK is the reason our D has been set back like it is now. He took the toughness out of our defense and we haven't recovered since.

Re: I hope you're kidding...that was the worst D scheme we

Sep 23, 2012, 9:51 PM

Ha. You are delusional. Truly. You need to take a deep breath. I am sure you will have a clearer head in a few days.

delusional about what?

Sep 23, 2012, 10:11 PM

Our defenses were not winning defenses. He had talent. And we lost alot of games off of our defensive deficiencies. He rushed 4 and spread everybody out in zone coverage and we got picked apart as the clock ticked, thats what i remember.

Why you think that is so great is delusional.

I'll take BV all day over that dude. How people can say "I bet you wish we had Vic back now, huh" is just ridiculous....Dabo knew he wasn't going to get where he wanted with him calling the defense.

Re: delusional about what?

Sep 23, 2012, 10:23 PM

I am not saying that I think Vic should be back here. I think he is better off coaching somewhere else too. But I think he will continue to be successful. Venables should do well here eventually. Goodnight bud.

I sat beside Vic on a flight this summer....good man

Sep 23, 2012, 9:44 PM

he didn't have too many kind words to say about Dabo as expected but a good guy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Further proving why it would have been a poor decision to

Sep 23, 2012, 11:59 PM

retain him...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I sat beside Vic on a flight this summer....good man

Sep 24, 2012, 2:10 AM [ in reply to I sat beside Vic on a flight this summer....good man ]

Just out of curiosity, what did VK he have to say about Dabo on the flight. I might fuss about Dabo from time to time but Dabo seems like a great guy who couldn't ever have an enemy (unless it is all an act) and I highly doubt that. I think he is real.

What was the actual problem between Dabo and VK. Was it just because VK was not offered the job and it went to Dabo instead or did they not see eye to eye prior to that.

UNC gave up 28 to Wake and 36 to Louisville, but I have to

Sep 23, 2012, 10:12 PM

admit the Koening was much better than Kevin Steele.

Not worth thinking about. There was no way he could stay

Sep 23, 2012, 10:31 PM

as DC after Dabo was given the HC job ahead of him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No...That idiot thought he was in line for HC based off his

Sep 24, 2012, 12:09 AM

5-29 record at freaking Wyoming...He clearly doesn't have a clue...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, I don't miss Koenning, at all

Sep 24, 2012, 8:04 AM

Venables inherited the same defense that got rolled in the Orange Bowl, except he lost Branch and Thompson on the defensive line. On top of that, he lost Sensabaugh at corner. Who do we have to replace them?

So Venables is supposed to work an off-season miracle with considerably less talent than the craptastic defense we had last year? If we don't see ANY improvement, I'll worry, but in no way is it fair to butcher him after this loss.

We just don't have the athletes on defense right now. Some of the younger guys will probably get better this year, but we also have some older players that just aren't getting the job done.

Still waiting on Goodman to have that breakout year...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic