Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It’s really sad that some of you are still butthurt about Hatfield.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

It’s really sad that some of you are still butthurt about Hatfield.

Jan 18, 2018, 8:10 PM

The man coached at Clemson over two decades ago! It’s time to bury the hate and move on.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

well

Jan 18, 2018, 8:14 PM

https://youtu.be/NQyhmd7Gk4U

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: It’s really sad that some of you are still butthurt about Hatfield.

Jan 18, 2018, 8:23 PM

I like the hate! It keeps me sharp and warm at night.
GO TIGERS!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2018, 8:33 PM

Hey I got stood up 55 years ago at the homecoming dance and I haven't forgotten it, call me 50 years from now if you're still around and I will tell you whether I'm still butt hurt about Hatfield.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

amen Judge!!!!!! Sad and downright immature!

Jan 18, 2018, 8:40 PM

Let it go !! We are enjoying great success. Don't dwell on those controversial days

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah and only 4 seasons, only 1 bad season...

Jan 18, 2018, 8:41 PM

He was a bad hire because he liked an outdated offense in the wishbone, came after a legend, couldn't recruit well, and was to aloof to fit in with our fanbase. He is a good person, just was a terrible fit and couldn't keep up with how the college game was changing. I was never mad at him, just upset at the lack of effort to find a quality coach after he was fired, which continued the talent drought. I remember Bobby Ross was interested in the job once it came open after Hatfield was fired, and thought we should have went all out to get him. Bobby Robinson went with a supposed safe pick by bringing in a Ford guy in Tommy West to try to satisfy the majority of the fanbase still upset with how the Ford departure was handled. Tommy West was a great assistant, but didn't have what it took to guide a higher profile program as head coach.

it isn't butthurt or hate

Jan 18, 2018, 8:41 PM

why would the mere passing of time change one's opinion of whether he sucked as a coach or not?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Because most people are able to gain perspective and maturity with time.

Jan 18, 2018, 8:58 PM

Many people today, in 2018, have a hatred in their voice at the mere mention of Hatfield’s name. They act like he murdered their spouse or something. It’s fine to think that Clemson should’ve hired someone else, but it’s another thing entirely to be personally offended by it.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

If anything, the perspective gained over the years is that he

Jan 18, 2018, 10:28 PM

was a bad coach. Heck, just look at Dabo. My mature view is that even a real estate broker/position coach can do much, much better. But I’m sure he’ll get the last laugh screwing us while on the committee.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: it isn't butthurt or hate

Jan 18, 2018, 8:59 PM [ in reply to it isn't butthurt or hate ]

Judge, I swear you must be his love child or something the way you been carrying on the last few days about him. Try a dose of Epsom salts it'll help you clear your mind of Hatfield.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t have any loyalty to him whatsoever.

Jan 18, 2018, 9:08 PM

But I thought he was brought into a crappy situation and did not have the support he deserved as our head coach. By all accounts he was a good man who did his best. He wasn’t as successful as we hoped he would be, but that doesn’t warrant speaking badly about him 25 years later.

There are a lot more productive things to think about and spend time on than Hatfield and his time at Clemson, but if you and others want to still be offended by him this many years later, I guess that’s your right. Doesn’t mean I won’t call you out for being a baby about it though.

Re: I don’t have any loyalty to him whatsoever.

Jan 18, 2018, 9:15 PM

Let it go then. I'm done with you and Hatfield, so goodnight and good luck.

Re: I don’t have any loyalty to him whatsoever.

Jan 18, 2018, 9:26 PM [ in reply to I don’t have any loyalty to him whatsoever. ]

And, we can call you out JK for being wrong about how bad Hatfield was. He accepted the job and did a poor job. Accept it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't consider 32-13-1 bad.

Jan 19, 2018, 9:52 AM

Especially when he was undermined by our very own fans when it came to recruiting and supporting the program.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he was the right coach for us, but I do think he would've recruited better if he had better support. He wasn't going to win championships at Clemson, but he would've surely recruited better if there weren't Clemson boosters, still crying over Danny's firing, telling recruits not to come to Clemson.

It's not nearly as simple as Hatfield being a bad coach and only winning because he had Danny's players. But if that belief makes you and others feel better at night, that's fine.

Ha! Point taken, but it’s not hate from my end Judge, it was

Jan 18, 2018, 9:23 PM

Just painful to watch particularly since it was during my time at Clemson. It was incredibly difficult watching offensive schemes and mentality that are inherently designed to win ugly and/or loose more slowly while listening to the 50-something fans behind me cheer “up the middle, up the middle, pass, punt!”

In spite of that I was buckled into my seat every Saturday to cheer on my Tigers. Frankly, it makes these days all that much sweeter!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, his offense was even harder to watch than Ford's.

Jan 19, 2018, 9:53 AM

And I had no confidence then that he would be willing to adapt when things weren't working well.

Jan 18, 2018, 11:11 PM

Its amazing that adults can be as stupid as harboring I'll feelings decades after Hatfields tenure. I've only understood Hatfield to have been an honorable man. Would he have intentionally failed there might be some justification, but he proved only to have been less successful than the guy he replaced. Same folks like Tommy West more than Hatfield and Bowden because......? Many of those who are so derogatory towards our former coaches have tried Little in life and succeded in less.

how about this Haight?

Jan 19, 2018, 8:11 AM

Lots of good vibes throughout the years I’m told

Jan 19, 2018, 8:26 AM

Man let it go. You keep bringing crap up.. move on to current events at Clemson

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

I didn't bring up Hatfield these last few days.

Jan 19, 2018, 9:54 AM

TigerNet did. And it was about him being named to the CFP committee, not how he ruined Clemson's football program and personally offended Clemson fans - 25 years later.

Jan 19, 2018, 8:27 AM

Well as I recall, all this stuff went down right in the heels of SMU's death penalty. Not making excuses for the administration because they were big boys who could defend themselves and I was a Ford guy, but they feared the hammer was going to drop for getting caught giving recruits a few hats. So 'Bible-toting' Hatfield was the squeeky clean answer to their fears. Great guy with impeccable morals, but just an average coach who stepped into a really bad situation.

By the way, I did notice Hatfield ended his coaching career with a few more wins than Frank Howard, which was somewhat surprising.

Jan 19, 2018, 9:45 AM

ding, ding, ding, ding ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ The only important thing in his hire at that time was his squeaky clean reputation. Many forget there was even talk of doing away with the football program period. Under NCAA sanctions that included reduced scholarships and no bowl games, no coach could have had great success. Ken Hatfield took on this no win situation, and I for 1 think he deserves the respect of all Tiger fans for doing so.

Exactly. People forget that this was around the time

Jan 19, 2018, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Re: It’s really sad that some of you are still butthurt about Hatfield. ]

the Clemson basketball team was also being investigated by the NCAA for Wayne Buckingham's suspicious high school record. Clemson turned out to know nothing about that, but the danger then was that both football and basketball would have significant NCAA sanctions. The environment at that time was that a school would have to give up one or both sports for a period of time if violations were significant enough. It was a huge deal.

Re: Actually, it's really sad you're still carrying water

Jan 19, 2018, 10:30 AM

for that loser after all these years. What a burden that must be. Let it go....he sucked and that's all there is to it.

Screw Calford.

LOL. I have let it go.

Jan 19, 2018, 11:58 AM

I'm not the one complaining about the man on a message board over two decades later. The ones who need to let it go are the ones who are still so upset by him and the job he did as our coach.

It only took us 18 years to recover enough to win the ACC***

Jan 19, 2018, 11:19 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly, and Hatfield, the CU administration, and some fans

Jan 19, 2018, 12:03 PM

all had a role to play in that.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic