Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"When people say 'black lives matter,' that doesn't mean
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 358

"When people say 'black lives matter,' that doesn't mean

Jul 8, 2016, 11:49 AM

blue lives don't matter," Obama said, referring to uniformed officers. "That just means all lives matter."

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/news/ci_30103072/obama-laments-latest-fatal-police-shootings-symptoms-broken

When asked that very question, you couldn't get a single lying, pandering, gutless democrat candidate to say that during the debates. They flat out refused to say that all lives matter.

It's that kind of BS that divides the country, and almost funny to see Obama playing both sides now that he's almost forced to after months of fanning the flames.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Black Lives Matter is about black people, though

Jul 8, 2016, 11:56 AM

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, since some black people think that other people are saying that "all lives matter... except black people." They're trying to make sure people are aware of black people's feelings of marginalization, and they feel that they're being co-opted when others once again try to put the focus on everybody but black people.

So I don't think my problem with BLM is them wanting to exclusively focus on black dignity. My problem with BLM is that, in practice, what it's meant is advancing false narratives about police and "structural racism" that come straight out of African American Studies Departments. As a movement, it's been captured by left-wing theory and its loudest activists are left-wing radicals. And if you're going to call a movement "Black Lives Matter" and then ignore the fact that black lives don't seem to matter very much to other black people, a lot of people aren't going to see your movement as legitimate. I'm not sure that mainstream Democratic politicians realized that these were the people they were empowering.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So there might be different fractions within BLM movement ..

Jul 8, 2016, 12:47 PM

Different agendas, tactics and goals. Not surprising.

So often ideals get compromised, misconstrued and misrepresented either intentially or unintentionally. Maybe a better movement would be "Life Matters" - for all and one really shouldn't have to die for society and the government to care or act. Act compassionately for the Dems, act efficiently for the 'Pubs and act justly for all 'Mericans.

People of color do seem to have a harder row to hoe. However too often the dialogue revolves around who to blame. The conversation quickly gets emotional and political. Rarely are any legitimate solutions offered and even more rarely implemented. Partisan rantings and posturing have polarized our politics so much that any constructive dialogue is impossible. The Information Age has given us incessant rhetoric and #### few solutions.

Unfortunately, hard to see the dialogue turning constructive and any solutions provided any time soon. Our government is structurally based upon compromise. Good luck in this environment.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"all lives matter" is like starving people saying "we need

Jul 8, 2016, 11:58 AM

food" and people in a restaurant saying "we all need food". The people in the restaurant already have their #### food.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

did you read this article too?

Jul 8, 2016, 12:01 PM

sounds like it

http://fusion.net/story/170591/the-next-time-someone-says-all-lives-matter-show-them-these-5-paragraphs/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

PROPER REFERENCE CITATIONS MATTER!***

Jul 8, 2016, 12:07 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nobody is denying that racism exists and is experienced

Jul 8, 2016, 12:25 PM [ in reply to did you read this article too? ]

by many, if not all African Americans at some point, or that we should not take a strong stand against it at every turn. The farce with race politics and movements like "Black Lives Matter" is the idea that white racism and "white privilege" are the overriding reason for the problems that plague African Americans. It shuts down cold any honest and productive dialogue that addresses real causes or real solutions while demonizing many innocent Americans.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Except black people aren't the only ones being shot by cops***

Jul 8, 2016, 12:03 PM [ in reply to "all lives matter" is like starving people saying "we need ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The black lives matter movement isn't strictly about police

Jul 8, 2016, 12:06 PM

shootings...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

That's what it was born out of. What else is it about?

Jul 8, 2016, 12:09 PM

I don't see too many of them protesting against gang shootings.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was based largely on a pack of lies when

Jul 8, 2016, 12:16 PM

a criminal named Michael Brown was killed in self-defense while he was assaulting a cop just after stealing from a convenience store and assaulting the store owner.

- H. L. Mencken

I'd also say that, as a group, it contains the highest

Jul 8, 2016, 12:23 PM

density of racists in the country.

Re: I'd also say that, as a group, it contains the highest

Jul 8, 2016, 12:39 PM

Nah, man. The Tea Party-types.

I'm not talking about your run-of-the-mill conservatives like Cam. I'm talking about your "wink wink, nod nod all naggers should hang" folks that infest small towns throughout this country.

Yeah, I certainly remember how the "Tea Party types" were

Jul 8, 2016, 12:46 PM

construed a few years ago. Funny enough, nothing bad like this ever became of their rallies.

Re: Yeah, I certainly remember how the "Tea Party types" were

Jul 8, 2016, 12:49 PM

Well no chit. The status quo has always been in their favor --- police departments full of folks JUSSSSSS like 'em.

And there's no reason to be coy about it. I live in a town full of 'em. They make no secret of how they feel about minorities when it's convenient for them.

They've got those types in other races, too

Jul 8, 2016, 12:57 PM

Helll, a lot of the time it seems like a large contingent of black people would like to go back to segregation.

Re: They've got those types in other races, too

Jul 8, 2016, 4:31 PM

No argument there, I'm just surrounded by the majoriy of the white folks most of the time, so get to hear their derision more often. My perception is probably skewed.

Oppressed people can't be racist

Jul 8, 2016, 12:39 PM [ in reply to I'd also say that, as a group, it contains the highest ]

~ BLM

But seriously, statements like that are what makes me think their movement (and the theory behind it) is largely about power, and specifically getting enough power to lord it over people they think deserve recriminations. People have noticed that racializing everything can give one group power over another group, whether that group was historically the oppressor or the oppressed. In a society that strictly polices racist attitudes from the historical oppressors, historically oppressed groups can wield a lot of power by laying claim to their identity as part of a historically oppressed group. They've discovered that they can basically say and do anything if they chalk it up to being oppressed, and that they can dismiss anything said by somebody who's part of a group that historically oppressed them if they boil everything down to their identity, too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, absolutely. I have no doubt in my mind that the driving

Jul 8, 2016, 12:51 PM

factor behind BLM is black supremacy. Nobody is even acting like they want equality anymore, it's all about what special group gets privilege over another.

The demographic shift isn't going to go in their favor though, hispanics do not harbor the same sort of guilt that whites do.

Maybe we could change the metaphor around a little

Jul 8, 2016, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Except black people aren't the only ones being shot by cops*** ]

Some of the nearly starving people saying "we need food" keep stealing what food there is from other starving people. To make sure that the people who need food don't have their food stolen from them by other people who need food, some people who were at the donut shop start patrolling the area. They generally keep people from stealing food, but sometimes they cause people who were trying to steal food to starve to death, and sometimes they even cause people who weren't trying to steal food to starve to death. The starving people decide that it's the people from the donut shop's fault that they're not getting food, and they think that the people at the restaurant don't care that the people from the donut shop are starving them to death. Meanwhile, the people at the restaurant can't understand why the starving people keep stealing food from each other, or why they don't recognize that the only reason the people from the donut shop are there is to keep them from stealing.

What if the donut was really representative of our inner id,

Jul 8, 2016, 12:20 PM

and the outward facing ego were a croissant, but the French people never came around much because you don't see many French people in a ghetto? Does that change your mind at all?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now I'm hungry

Jul 8, 2016, 12:26 PM

That's pretty close. Fact is, culture is at the root of it.***

Jul 8, 2016, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Maybe we could change the metaphor around a little ]

Then they need a better, more accurate slogan,

Jul 8, 2016, 12:11 PM [ in reply to "all lives matter" is like starving people saying "we need ]

because "Black lives matter" certainly implies that there are people who don't believe that black lives matter, or don't believe that they matter as much as non-black lives, which is total ########, unless you are talking about black lives not mattering to other blacks, but I'm pretty sure that's not the intent.

- H. L. Mencken

"Black lives matter, too." Would probably be more fitting.

Jul 8, 2016, 12:20 PM

They also need a better organization and better choices of cases to get behind. Focus on things like sentencing disparities and lack of funding for public defenders offices rather than police shootings moments after they happen.

So, pawn one of your six game platforms, Mr. Starving...

Jul 8, 2016, 1:01 PM [ in reply to "all lives matter" is like starving people saying "we need ]

Shudda thought about that before you eight tattoo or twentieth piercing....

-DNT

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

At least one Dem apologized for saying all lives matter.***

Jul 8, 2016, 12:00 PM

I think it was Hillary.***

Jul 8, 2016, 12:04 PM

Re: I think it was Hillary.***

Jul 8, 2016, 12:39 PM

Did the National Review tell you that? lutz

To Dumbrocrats: the system is perfect.

Jul 8, 2016, 12:59 PM

Division strengthens the party. And as usual, Jack ### party leaders and honks don't care of/ think of the consequences or cause/effect. American lives have to die under their political boots.

-PhD

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Give me a quote of Obama 's that fanned the flames.***

Jul 8, 2016, 1:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 358
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic