Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Yale to rename Calhoun College after protests
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Yale to rename Calhoun College after protests

Feb 12, 2017, 1:42 PM

Interesting article... (not that we care what Yale does....)

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/11/us/yale-renames-calhoun-college/index.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yale to rename Calhoun College after protests

Feb 12, 2017, 1:45 PM

Just ridiculous. Most every white male that lived during that time would be viewed today as "racist"

Yep. slippery slope. I guess the washington and jefferson..

Feb 12, 2017, 1:47 PM

memorials will soon have a new name.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yep. slippery slope. I guess the washington and jefferson..

Feb 12, 2017, 2:23 PM

Wonder when UVA will just close down the university. No bigger slave owner than Jefferson!

Re: Yep. slippery slope. I guess the washington and jefferson..

Feb 12, 2017, 2:30 PM

Washington owned many as well, wonder if we remove him from everything as well

If you ever visit Washington's home (Mount Vernon) you will

Oct 12, 2023, 9:55 AM

notice they are quick to point out that Washington was nice to his slaves. So - that must make it cool.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2017, 4:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Yale to rename Calhoun College after protests ]

Faneuil Hall in downtown Boston is named after a famous New England merchant... who made a fortune from the slave trade. When do they change that name???

Feb 12, 2017, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Yale to rename Calhoun College after protests ]

Except that Calhoun was viciously racist. Though he probably couldn't hold a candle to Tillman, who, as a person, was as worthless as they've ever come.

Calhoun also believed blacks were unfit for liberty. In today's society, that is considered counter to our most deeply held beliefs. Any American should be shunned for believing such a thing.

So - did Thomas G Clemson share John C Calhoun's views?***

Feb 13, 2017, 11:21 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When do they change it to New Haven U.?

Feb 12, 2017, 2:35 PM

Elihu Yale was a known participant in the slave trade during his career, as well as other shady dealings working for the East India Co. Seems like the students should be protesting the "Yale" name.

Re: When do they change it to New Haven U.?

Feb 12, 2017, 9:23 PM

Exactly. And not a single major news organization brought this up. Not only did the founder of Yale deal in slave trading, he embezzled the funds to start Yale from his employer.

Re: When do they change it to New Haven U.?

Feb 12, 2017, 10:51 PM

Elihu Yale himself was Slaver in Madras India in the 1680's and 90's when he insisted that at least 10 slaves should be on each ship to be sold at its final destination.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Nm

Feb 12, 2017, 2:49 PM

Nm

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Woodrow Wilson, once pres of Yale, was a pretty dedicated

Feb 12, 2017, 11:40 PM

Wilson was president of Princeton University not Yale. He re-segregated the US government during his tenure as President of the U. S. and was known to be racist to some extent.

OK, let's also trash Thomas Jefferson. Looking at you, UVa***

Feb 12, 2017, 3:51 PM

Re: OK, let's also trash Thomas Jefferson. Looking at you, UVa***

Feb 12, 2017, 9:35 PM

'Senator Daniel Webster [of Massachuesetts] said of John C. Calhoun, "He was much the ablest man I ever knew. He could have demolished Newton, Calvin, or Locke as a logician." He admired above all his powerful mind and his courage.' -- Senator John F. Kennedy, State House, Columbia, SC
October 10, 1960

Feb 12, 2017, 4:43 PM

I have more of a problem with the administration caving to these hipsters.

And why do these student enroll at a school when they are so offended by the names on the buildings?

Feb 12, 2017, 4:50 PM

What has this decision done to make our country safer, economically stronger, given us a united country, solve our financial crisis or even Make the life of 1 person better than it was before this protest and decision to rename a building. Please tell me how renaming Calhoun College has made the world a better place in 2017?????

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good.

Feb 12, 2017, 7:27 PM

They haven't deserved his name in a long, long time.

They haven't or he hasn't deserved to have a building in..

Feb 13, 2017, 7:30 AM

his honor?

Feb 12, 2017, 7:43 PM

It's funny listening to everyone protect the names of racists. I don't care who or when it was doesn't make it right and they should not be honored. It's a lot more people that did the right thing fighting slavery that go unnoticed. The only reason they don't have buildings and universities named after them is because they don't have an empire built on the backs of free labor.

It is purely elitist hypocrisy until they remove Yale from

Feb 12, 2017, 10:45 PM

The name of their university.

null

Why don't they remove every building's name in

Feb 13, 2017, 9:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Yale to rename Calhoun College after protests ]

America and let the Snowflakes rename? Only right thing thing to do and they could move on to more important
things to protest.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2017, 8:59 PM

Good news is...if no more buildings named after racists then Obama and Holder are shutout.

Good news is...if no more buildings named after racists then Obama and Holder are shutout.

Feb 12, 2017, 9:23 PM

I have actually met Grace Hopper about 40 years ago. Brilliant woman. I still know how far light travels in a nano-second because of her. :) They should have done it years ago before she passed. That woman deserves to be recognized for her achievements.

That's great and all, but

Feb 13, 2017, 2:00 AM

was she a racist? Need to know for a friend.

maybe they can resurrect Martin Luther King too

Feb 12, 2017, 10:41 PM

rewriting history being so easy and all....

Ton Hanks: "Stoopid is as stoopid does."

Feb 12, 2017, 10:42 PM

This is the modern version of McCarthyism.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yale's not a public university so they can use whatever

Feb 12, 2017, 11:09 PM

name they want.....A concept John C. would agree with.....And, btw, Yale's been having debates about where their founder got his money for years now---not new news

College campuses aren't the real world....Nor should they be. I find it refreshing occasionally to discover that the passion of naive idealism still exists

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2017, 6:00 AM

That's a spectacular old structure .

The building , not slavery .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Feb 13, 2017, 7:24 AM

So sick of liberal stupidity. How about the other 8 colleges in the Yale system that are named after people who had slaves? How about Elihu Yale himself? Wait, he didn't have slaves, he had "servants" and "pages", blacks with leather or steel collars around their necks.

That was just a time in life, much as Rome and many other countries had slaves. If the liberals really want to do something productive about ending slavery, quit worrying about something that was virtually stopped over 100 years ago in this country and do something about the 20 to 30 million slaves in the world today.

Oh, wait, that doesn't fit the American liberal agenda.

Feb 13, 2017, 7:54 AM

I'm confused by your approach to this . Are you trying to say that a " liberal " shouldn't oppose the institution of slavery ( be it modern or historical ) ?
Or are you saying that the " liberal " people who are oppositiinal to slavery in America are unaware or unmoved by slavery as it exists today ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Feb 13, 2017, 10:02 AM

It must be exhausting to be a liberal...

Walking around every day with the mindset of what can I find to be offended about.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

IDK, seems that everyone in this thread is pretty

Feb 13, 2017, 11:24 AM

offended

Does every topic have to become a liberal/conservative one?

Feb 13, 2017, 6:08 PM

I get tired of every topic becoming a liberal / conservative issue with the typical insults that follow. Why can't the debate be about the issue? I'm sure there are folks that call themselves conservative that support Yale's decision and similarly some liberals are opposed. In this instance, Yale made a decision. I wish the discussion would center on why they did, is the decision relevant today or is it ancient history, is it isolated or a decision that has broader impact, and so on and on.....this junk of simply labeling the issue and people as "snowflake libetards" or "Trump fascists" is getting old. I would much rather read some intelligent comments.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic