Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Xavier Brewer calls out espn.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Xavier Brewer calls out espn.

Jun 3, 2019, 9:51 AM

for 2008 article criticizing Clemson's hiring of Dabo.

To be fair, very few people outside of the athletic department and major boosters, even knew much about him back then.

https://twitter.com/CoachXBrew/status/1135287938936270848

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Laugh riot huh? Who's laughing now?***

Jun 3, 2019, 9:58 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's just it - many did not know. The fact is, TDP did

Jun 3, 2019, 10:05 AM

know; or at least he knew more than the critics, doubters, and complainers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: That's just it - many did not know. The fact is, TDP did

Jun 3, 2019, 5:47 PM

Tommy Bowden also told him, while he was being fired, that Swinney would be a fantastic coach.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Xavier Brewer calls out espn.

Jun 3, 2019, 10:08 AM

You write the article and you take your consequences. Fair or not, they wrote, they own it. They weren't just a little wrong, they were shockingly so far off base that it's now in the encyclopedia under the entry "How Wrong Could They Be".

Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch.

They're ESPNing....

Jun 3, 2019, 10:40 AM

nm

Jun 3, 2019, 10:37 AM

I think all the so-called experts had this opinion. I recall the sports radio guys in Raleigh raving about the hire. Saying we were crazy and would have to go through the agony of another search within a couple of years. I never talk to the guys, but am often tempted to call and rub their noses in it sometimes.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd say roughly half of TNET was also Anti-Dabo at that time***

Jun 3, 2019, 10:45 AM

I don't know the percentage, but you are right

Jun 3, 2019, 10:51 AM

There was a large sentiment here of "What? I thought this was a national search? A WR coach? Really?".

Even after the 2011 season and the WVU fiasco, there were a large number of folks here still calling it a failed experiment.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't know the percentage, but you are right

Jun 3, 2019, 11:27 AM

I got into a little verbal confrontation with a not so stellar anti Dabo Tiger fan after the first his ACC championship when we lost to GT in Tampa. Some people are just unbelievable!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'd say roughly half of TNET was also Anti-Dabo at that time***

Jun 3, 2019, 12:26 PM [ in reply to I'd say roughly half of TNET was also Anti-Dabo at that time*** ]

You aint suppose to mention such as that, as it could draw the ire of the collective who have never been wrong; being factual is not of import, be selective in regards to supporting the narrative of the board collectively-

I'll admit I was nervous but hopeful based on what TDP said

Jun 3, 2019, 12:52 PM [ in reply to I'd say roughly half of TNET was also Anti-Dabo at that time*** ]

About him. With Tommy crying in the locker room we didn't have much to lose.

He wasn't my first choice. I was in the Gary Patterson camp like many on here.

TDP was dead on about Dabo. he's just got IT.

Re: I'll admit I was nervous but hopeful based on what TDP said

Jun 3, 2019, 4:23 PM

Gary Patterson would have been a good hire.

At the time I wouldn't have been mad about hiring Muschamp

Jun 3, 2019, 4:34 PM

Either. he was the polar opposite of Bowden. Thank God we dodged that bullet.

I have a picture with Dabo pretty close to his first day when

Jun 3, 2019, 10:46 AM

I was visiting Coach Bowden and Dabo stopped in. When I heard he was out of coaching until Coach Bowden called I smiled and said the right things but I thought it was an odd move by TB. Thank the Lord he knew what he was doing!

It was an easy article to write

Jun 3, 2019, 10:49 AM

The simple fact is that most coaching hires "fail" when viewed through the lens of winning national championships. Not all, obviously, but statistically most. And so it's easy to write articles about them right after they happen and find that a good percentage of your criticisms will come true... because statistically they do.

Usually all that matters to the writer is that they get hits/views/reads and they recognize that just like in cold-reading people remember the hits and not the misses.

And so, thanks Xavier for shining a light on this glaring miss, even though Pat Forde and writers like him will just take the small hit and move on to other predictions/criticisms which will simply play the odds.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

anyone have Pat Forde's email address?

Jun 3, 2019, 11:05 AM

nm

Re: It was an easy article to write

Jun 3, 2019, 12:49 PM [ in reply to It was an easy article to write ]

It's a lot like fishing. We only talk about the times when we caught a few fist, not the many times when we came home with an empty line. Now, maybe there are few times when we had no luck we may resort to telling a funny story about our adventures.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Forde's at Yahoo now***

Jun 3, 2019, 11:30 AM

Jun 3, 2019, 11:33 AM

Is this at the practice facility on the big screen? Hahha

yes!***

Jun 3, 2019, 6:34 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

FROGS SAY.....

Jun 3, 2019, 11:33 AM

… time's fun, when you're having flies!

REE-DEEP.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thinking good judgment and good fortune both played a role.***

Jun 3, 2019, 11:46 AM

Is it time to update this video with a second championship?

Jun 3, 2019, 12:23 PM

https://mobile.twitter.com/ClemsonFB/status/819920704908890113

I won’t knock Forde. It’s been a long time since I expected actual insight from ESPN. They deal in volume. A lot of people were scratching their heads on the Dabo hire. I’m just thrilled it worked out the way it has.

null

I'm glad I gave TDP the ok to hire dabo

Jun 3, 2019, 12:29 PM

I too was reading tnet at the time. When TDP called me to ask my permission, I told him to hire dabo and do it quick.

When he asked why I said the majority of tnet thinks the hire is stupid which can only mean it will be the best hire in history.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jun 3, 2019, 12:41 PM

I can remember the day he was named interim HC. A friend of mine was on the scout team and I called him to see what he thought. His words verbatim, “You’re about to see more energy in this program than you ever have. I can tell you ever single guy on this team will run through a wall for coach Swinney. I can’t say that for any other coach on staff.” After the season he told me that no coach in America would out recruit Dabo. He also told me to be patient. He was a pre-med student and is now a Dr in Denver so his words carried a little more weight with me than an athlete who adored his coach.
The moment it clicked for me was in the midst of our losing streak to USuC. Urban Myer and Chris Speilman we’re broadcasting one of our games for ESPN and had spent all week on campus with the team. Myer (who I despise as a human but respect as a football mind) talked endlessly about the future Dabo was building and how it was not going to be a flash in the pan. He was building something special from the ground up and he was building it to last. His last statement before he signed off that day was to all Clemson Fans. “If you guys can be patient, this guy is going to do special things here.”

Re: Xavier Brewer calls out espn. There was a quote from Urb

Jun 3, 2019, 12:51 PM

about that time where he said he understood why Spiller liked Clemson and that he was very impressed himself when he g pot to CU to do tv. Many outside the area didnt know Clemson then. The secret is out now. Just look at the kids from all over that we are recruiting

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2019, 2:01 PM

I thought it a horrible hire and I was openly calling for the hiring of Lane Kiffin. Thank God I wasn't the AD.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jun 3, 2019, 4:07 PM

This

I was pulling for Dabo and had Hope's from all

Jun 3, 2019, 5:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Xavier Brewer calls out espn. ]

I'd heard/read over the years and was in for Kyle Whittingham, if Dabo did not earn the job. I was very impressed on Utah's undefeated season where they lost the entire oline and seems like 80% of the skill position players on offense that same year and totally redesigned their offense on the fly. Their conference was stacked that year ), too. Total job to leave them out the BCS. I knew CKW was a defensive coach first, as well. He lost that OC and has not been able to replicate what I was going off of.

I was for him from the first time I heard him speak... Many

Jun 3, 2019, 5:11 PM

debates with long-time Clemson fans for the next several years... It's nice to be right. ;~)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ESPiN has pretty good camera crews and can...

Jun 3, 2019, 5:12 PM

put on a fairly good pregame show. If the talkers would shut up and show cheerleaders more it was be a better pregame show.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic