Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
XT and TL - One and done?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 3,226

XT and TL - One and done?

May 1, 2018, 10:14 AM

Which College Football Freshmen Could Be One-and-Done If the NFL Allowed It?

The ink is barely dry on the 2018 NFL draft, which means 2019 mock drafts are already spreading like wildfire.

That got us thinking: Which incoming freshmen would be the top candidates to jump to the NFL after just one season if college football had a one-and-done option like basketball has?

It will probably never happen. With limited exceptions, 19-year-old kids would not be capable of undertaking the physical demands of the NFL without suffering a catastrophic injury. But some of these freshmen are so highly touted and so large for their age that they would at least be worth a flier in next year's draft.

For the sake of argument, only true freshmen were considered for this list. Maybe Stanford's Davis Mills, Georgia's Isaiah Wilson or Ohio State's Shaun Wade could make the leap after redshirting the 2017 season, but we're only interested in those who could go from high school to the NFL in the span of 16 months.

Some of these guys might be lucky to even see the field as freshmen, so this shouldn't be considered a ranking of first-year players most likely to appear on 2018 all-conference teams. Rather, players on the following slides are listed in ascending order of where they might appear in 2019 mock drafts if they were eligible.

3. Xavier Thomas, DE, Clemson
247Sports 2018 Ranks: No. 3 Overall; No. 1 DE

Measurements: 6'3", 260 lbs

The funny thing about Xavier Thomas' ranking this high on the list is that he's barely going to see the field this season.

Since Christian Wilkins, Austin Bryant and Clelin Ferrell all opted to return to Clemson—and Dexter Lawrence was required to return after his true sophomore season—the Tigers have an embarrassment of riches on the defensive line. Dabo Swinney also signed defensive end KJ Henry, who is the No. 14 overall recruit in this year's class, adding one more piece to this playing time logjam.

When he gets to play, though, this pass-rusher is going to impress with his motor and his explosiveness. Thomas goes hard on every single play; combined with an excellent first step, that makes him a nightmare for opposing offensive tackles.

An uber-athlete, Thomas was a two-way player early in his high school career, and he also dabbled in baseball and basketball. Per MaxPreps, he had 42 tackles for loss over the past four seasons. He was also named the defensive line MVP at The Opening last July.

1. Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson
247Sports 2018 Ranks: No. 1 Overall; No. 1 QB

Measurements: 6'6", 208 lbs

Generally speaking, quarterbacks don't even get considered for this list. It's one thing to be big and strong enough to handle the physical demands of the NFL, but the mental/maturity/leadership aspect of playing QB needs to develop over the course of several years at the college level.

Trevor Lawrence is a once-in-a-blue-moon talent, though. If he were eligible for the 2019 NFL draft, there's no question some team would take a chance on him. It probably wouldn't be in the first two rounds, and he likely wouldn't see the field until at least 2021. But it would be irresponsible to repeatedly pass on the opportunity to draft and stash him.

In his four years at Georgia's Cartersville High School, Lawrence had a 63.4 percent completion rate, averaging 248.3 yards per game and 10.4 yards per attempt with 161 touchdowns against 21 interceptions. In his senior season, the numbers were even more ridiculous: 69.0, 274.2, 12.9, 41 and one, respectively. His surgical precision in the pocket is why he may well swoop in and steal the starting job from Kelly Bryant as a true freshman.

Lawrence will need to put on a little more weight before becoming a pro, but at 6'6" with a howitzer for an arm, it's almost a foregone conclusion that he'll be special once he does get to the NFL.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2772459-which-college-football-freshmen-could-be-one-and-done-if-the-nfl-allowed-it

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think only wrs and kickers could 1 and done it.***

May 1, 2018, 10:20 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: I think only wrs and kickers could 1 and done it.***

May 1, 2018, 10:52 AM

They say WR is actually one of the harder positions to adjust to when moving to a higher level of play like high school to college and college to NFL. Alot harder than people think compared to other positions. One and dones would be so hard to do for any position, the physical maturity just doesn't allow it, there are exceptions to every rule but they are very far and few between. I would prob agree with kicker or punter being the position that could do one and dones and actually succeed on the field as rookies and not have to be put in reserve for few years. Even then I doubt they would see the field very often. Def a great read thought and fun to think about. Go Tigers!!!

They say 1 thing and i disagree with they.

May 1, 2018, 12:14 PM

Qb is the toughest followed by oline.

If you are a 6'4 220 lb wr with 4.0 speed, you can play in the nfl.

I'm positive calvin johnson could have played wr in the nfl after his freshman year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I don't know that ANY college..............

May 1, 2018, 10:24 AM

freshman (maybe with the exception of a punter or placekicker) could go straight to the NFL - the physical requirements and the game itself is too different.

You can't compare football to basketball. There's not nearly the difference physically and game-wise between college and the NBA in basketball. But what's happened there IMO is that the young players in the NBA have brought that game down. The NBA was much better when everyone had to play in college through his senior season. I'm 62 and can remember when this was the case.

Also, what college freshman is going to have the experience after one season to be ready for the NFL? I don't see it.

Re: I don't know that ANY college..............

May 1, 2018, 10:29 AM

Agree that no way it could safely happen... but in that scenario it’s nice to have 2 of the top 3.

If they made that list a few years ago I imagine Big Dex would have made it too considering his size.

Re: XT and TL - One and done?

May 1, 2018, 11:04 AM

I disagree - they both will see the field a lot this coming season!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: XT and TL - One and done?

May 1, 2018, 11:07 AM

I expect TLaw will be the starting QB. XT looked great in the spring game but dang you have Cle and AB as starters, Yeargin back, Foster looked good in spring game, etc... but I do agree XT I think eventually will play his way to second string this year.

Replies: 7
| visibility 3,226
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic