Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 1992 THE COMEBACK (25)Clemson- 29 (10)UVA- 28
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

On This Date: 1992 THE COMEBACK (25)Clemson- 29 (10)UVA- 28

Oct 10, 2019, 8:54 AM

Clemson rallies, stuns No. 10 Virginia, 29-28 Down 4 TDs, Tigers win on 32-yard FG

October 10, 1992 By Don Markus | Don Markus - Staff Writer

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- This is beginning to look like 1990 revisited for the University of Virginia football team. There were signs all over Scott Stadium yesterday, both good and ultimately bad, against Clemson.

After storming to a four-touchdown lead, after whipping a sellout crowd of 44,400 into a frenzy, the 10th-ranked Cavaliers fell apart. Virginia's unbeaten season collapsed in a shocking 29-28 Atlantic Coast Conference loss to the 25th-ranked Tigers.

"I can't account for it, but it's something that happens in football," said Virginia coach George Welsh, whose Cavaliers led 28-0 in the second quarter and 28-7 at halftime.

"The Lord's still in the miracle business," said Clemson coach Ken Hatfield, whose Tigers completed the biggest comeback in the school's 96-year football history when Nelson Welch made a 32-yard field goal with 55 seconds remaining.

The loss, shockingly similar to a 41-38 loss to Georgia Tech here two years ago, was the first for Virginia (5-1, 4-1) this season and dropped the Cavaliers behind Florida State in the ACC.

The victory, which seemed more than a little unlikely even early in the third quarter, enabled Clemson (3-2, 1-2) to avert its first 0-3 start in the ACC.

"Option teams aren't supposed to come back like that, isn't that right?" said Hatfield, taking a shot at those who had criticized his team's lackluster start.

While Virginia had a difficult time explaining why its offense had only six first downs in the second half -- Terry Kirby going out with a bruised shoulder early in the fourth quarter might have accounted for it -- and why its defense gave up 402 yards on the ground overall, Clemson had no problem figuring out why it rallied from such a huge deficit.

"Louis Solomon was the spark," Hatfield said of his redshirt freshman quarterback who came off the bench in the second quarter and finished with 116 yards rushing.

"That one option play got us going."

Though Solomon's 64-yard touchdown run with 1:53 to go in the second quarter gave Clemson its first points, the play seemed to lift the Tigers out of their first-half funk. They nearly scored again before the half ended -- a fumble killed a drive in the waning moments -- and then continued their comeback in the second half.

A 1-yard, fourth-down plunge by fullback Howard Hall early in the second half, a 57-yard run by tailback Rodney Blunt late in the third quarter and a 27-yard run by tailback Rudy Harris reduced Clemson's deficit to 28-26 with 5:31 left. But a missed field-goal try and a missed extra-point attempt by Welch loomed large.

"I just wanted another chance to win the game," said Welch, a sophomore who had made eight of 11 field-goal attempts before yesterday.

It came when Virginia quarterback Bobby Goodman, who had thrown four first-half touchdowns, was intercepted with a little less than four minutes to go.

Trying to hit 6-5 sophomore Tyrone Davis on a curl-in, Goodman was intercepted by Clemson safety Darnell Stephens, who returned the ball 10 yards to the Tigers' 35.

"We had a streak down the sideline," said Goodman, who earlier in the game connected with Davis for touchdown passes of 33 and 37 yards.

"I thought I had him. It was a bad throw on my part."

Said Stephens: "It was a possession route. I've been studying films. Their No. 2 receiver goes out in the flat and their No. 1 receiver [Davis] does a curl. Instead of going into the flat, I took a gamble. It paid off."

It paid off when, after getting a first down at his team's 46, Solomon found senior wide-out Larry Ryans in the clear. His 45-yard pass, which Ryans had to dive to catch, put the Tigers at Virginia's 9-yard line with 2:45 left.

For a moment, it appeared that Clemson's offense would self-destruct.

A holding penalty -- their 11th of the game -- put the Tigers back at the 20. After two short dives up the middle by fullback Rudy Harris brought the ball to the 15, Hatfield sent in Welch.

Twice, George Welsh called timeout, burning Virginia's last two timeouts in the process. Asked about the calls, Welsh said: "I wanted to save time for us. Otherwise, we didn't have a chance."

Said Welch: "After I made it, I thought about the Florida State game when they came back and scored in the last couple of minutes to win. The difference in that game was that we ran out of time. I think they ran out of time today, too."

Virginia, after driving from its 27 to the Clemson 40, ran out of time when Goodman's last-gasp pass into the end zone was batted away as time ran out.

The Cavaliers were still stunned a half-hour after the game. .

"It's like we came to a screeching halt," said offensive guard Mark Dixon. Virginia's unbeaten season certainly did. Maybe this is 1990 revisited.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Was there with my Clemson grad & 1st yr UGa Law student Son..

Oct 10, 2019, 9:00 AM

and we yelled our heads off til the very dramatic end and then went down on the field to celebrate, then waited around to see players and then headed to Georgetown to drink/eat at Billy's Bar.

Next day we attended the Oct Sailboat Show in Annapolis Md.

Splendid weekend to say the least!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I still remember commenting to my TV when the clock ran

Oct 10, 2019, 9:07 AM

out, "And, THAT's why you're VIRGINIA!" Until Hatfield took over, we had NEVER, EVER lost to them in football (29-0). He ended the all time streak by losing in 1990, but that 1992 game had to make the Yahoos think they were still cursed against us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wouldnt you say that big of a comeback was insane back then?

Oct 10, 2019, 9:10 AM

an option team coming back from 28 points down near halftime. Watching the replay of that game, its painful to see how we struggled to pass the ball

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Four shore. We were not built to be a big come from behind

Oct 10, 2019, 9:38 AM

team at the time. Also, the defense had to suddenly show up and stonewall them from scoring any more to make that comeback even possible. It was like watching two different games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That big of a comeback is insane now

Oct 10, 2019, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Wouldnt you say that big of a comeback was insane back then? ]

I think that's still the biggest comeback in Clemson history.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I still remember commenting to my TV when the clock ran

Oct 10, 2019, 11:05 AM [ in reply to I still remember commenting to my TV when the clock ran ]

I listened to that one at work on an office radio . Wasn't able to watchit but what a great second half by Solomon and the defensive side too .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: On This Date: 1992 THE COMEBACK (25)Clemson- 29 (10)UVA- 28

Oct 10, 2019, 9:23 AM

Virginia...
White Meat!!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Highlight Video I Made For This Game

Oct 10, 2019, 9:46 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpVxiq-I-qs

I actually think i used your vid to make the gifs . cheers***

Oct 10, 2019, 1:18 PM

Best Is The Standard

It might be the best game in the Hatfield era but if not it

Oct 10, 2019, 9:50 AM

was certainly the best comeback regardless.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It might be the best game in the Hatfield era but if not it

Oct 10, 2019, 10:10 AM

If I recall correctly, Solomon went home after graduation and taught and coached HS ball.

Oct 10, 2019, 10:19 AM

There is zero doubt in my mind that Hatfield was the worst "coach" we ever had. When he took over Danny Ford had our roster stocked with stellar athletes. When he left, the cupboard was bare, and it took years, many long agonizing years, to get it back. I will give Bowden some credit. He took us as far as he was capable (or willing), but thank God Dabo took over and had the right road map to become a dominant power. Also, thanks to Terry Don Phillips for having the foresight and patience to let him build this dynasty. God help me, I do love it so!

The 90’s were certainly dark times...

Oct 10, 2019, 10:33 AM

for Clemson football.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2019, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Re: On This Date: 1992 THE COMEBACK (25)Clemson- 29 (10)UVA- 28 ]

Hat is the guy who started losing to UVa. He and West were horrible hires. Thank goodness we got through those eras.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2019, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Re: On This Date: 1992 THE COMEBACK (25)Clemson- 29 (10)UVA- 28 ]

Agree re Hatfield - he led the destruction of Clemson fb which continued until recently

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When Lennon brough-in Hatfield...

Oct 10, 2019, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Re: On This Date: 1992 THE COMEBACK (25)Clemson- 29 (10)UVA- 28 ]

(Bobby Robinson wanted Fisher DeBerry), he did so with the sole intent of ridding the University of the "Clemson is a football school" presupposition.

Hatfield was brought in to maintain the program at a respectable level that would keep most of the donors happy but certainly not at the level we had all come to enjoy under Ford.

Any coach worth his salt should have won at least one if not two national championships with the players and talent level he inherited from coach Ford,

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

What I remember most about that season...

Oct 10, 2019, 11:23 AM

is Clemson would go on to lose four of its next six games to finish 5 - 6 which included a rare 24 - 13 home loss to the Capons on a cold rainy day in November which was Spooky Woods first win against the Tigers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One of my fondest memories as a student

Oct 10, 2019, 11:36 AM

I was in Tiger Band at that game. I think we played Tiger Rag about 45 times when the game ended.

It's also my personal theory that this is the game at which the "woo-hoo" was first heard loud enough for people outside the band to notice it. Mixed blessings...

The Band is responsible for starting it !!!***

Oct 10, 2019, 12:16 PM

Re: The Band is responsible for starting it !!!***

Oct 11, 2019, 8:47 AM

I don't want to say this is a widely known piece of trivia, but it's generally accepted as true, yes. Not the entirety of Tiger Band, though...just a specific part of it. For most band members it's physically impossible to woo-hoo while playing Tiger Rag. I'll just say that much.

Re: One of my fondest memories as a student

Oct 10, 2019, 9:03 PM [ in reply to One of my fondest memories as a student ]

You are correct. It was the genesis.

Oct 10, 2019, 4:26 PM

I took an entire bottle of acid reflux med that Saturday. What a game. I was not their but I was glued to the TV. One hick of a comeback. The players could have given up but they did not. I know these were DF’s players. Saying that his players put themselves in a big hole but they comeback.

IMO you have to give Kenny Hatfield and his staff credit for both halves and the ultimate WIN! They played lights out in the 2nd half.

Thank you for the post and the videos.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic