Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When Clemson WAS the #1 team, they did not
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,536

When Clemson WAS the #1 team, they did not

Sep 20, 2013, 5:38 PM

play like the #1 team every week. But, somehow we cobbled together a 12-0 season.

Little Wofford carried the game to us well into the third quarter before giving out of steam.

A very weak Tulane team made us sweat out a meager win in the Super Bowl.

And a mediocre NC State team made us fight extremely hard for a slim victory in DV late in the season.

Last night in Raleigh was not a stellar performance by any means, but it was plenty good enough under the circumstances.

Nit-picking about a winning performance by an undefeated team has become the sad prerogative of sports fans in the internet age.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

in 1973 i pooped my pants

Sep 20, 2013, 5:41 PM

as long as we are sharing about stuff that happened 300 years ago....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Okay ... change you pants, wipe up and look at

Sep 20, 2013, 5:51 PM

Auburn's 2010 season for a more recent example.

BTW ... 1973 was a pretty dismal season for Clemson. Don't feel bad. Lot of people pooped their pants that year.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would you prefer nothing to talk about...

Sep 21, 2013, 8:21 AM [ in reply to in 1973 i pooped my pants ]

in the past 300 years? I don't care if they wore powdered wigs or were called the Clemson Sabertooth Tigers when we won the national championship. What WE can say - and so many can't - is WE have won a national championship. Just a friendly reminder. :)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Sad prerogative"?

Sep 21, 2013, 7:50 AM

I think NOT. It's entertainment, and discussion, friendly banter, talk, and life. It's boards. Without such, we'd have no board to be on. We'd have no sports channel, and talking heads, and predictions, or GameDay. We'd have no a lot of things. Most of the time, undefeated teams eventually go down, and it is our - the spectators and talking heads - jobs, to try to figure out the ###### in the armor along the way in the name of discussion and entertainment. Especially in a system with no playoff and opinions of who is the real deal are important. So I think you've missed the point, friend.

Re: "Sad prerogative"?

Sep 21, 2013, 8:18 AM

I would disagree. I think he was making the point, not missing one. I think his point was missed. I took him to mean that when we did win the national championship, we had some close calls that season just like we will this season. I took it to mean we shouldn't become alarmed because we had a close yet victorious game.

You make some good points. The only thing I will say to the

Sep 21, 2013, 8:25 AM

contrary is that this is a different era, and unfortunately style points do count...especially being in a league which is not perceived to be the greatest in college football.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Same way then as far as style points and being in ACC.

Sep 21, 2013, 8:29 AM

Without that UGA win then or now, no way we get that high.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember sweating out that Tulane game listening

Sep 21, 2013, 8:26 AM

on the radio.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed.....you tend to forget those details over the years***

Sep 21, 2013, 8:31 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I mentioned earlier that we "pulled a Clemson" but this time

Sep 21, 2013, 9:05 AM

we won!!! We used to lose these games but now we are winning them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very good point...

Sep 21, 2013, 9:07 AM

I like that when we play bad, we still have the chance (and win).

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,536
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic