Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Worst stadium in the SEC? Willy B?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Worst stadium in the SEC? Willy B?

Jul 27, 2014, 2:58 PM

Is there one worse?

Maybe Tenn?

But it is at least not surrounded by warehouses and slum shacks?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Worst stadium in the SEC? Willy B?

Jul 27, 2014, 3:00 PM

Wily B is not the worst but it's still a chit hole.

Vandy?

Jul 27, 2014, 3:06 PM

Also probably Kentucky's Commonwealth Stadium is probably worse.

But it's obvious that W-B is nowhere near the level of LSU's Tiger Stadium, Bryant-Denny, The Swamp, or even Sanford, among many others in the SEC.

It's also nowhere near the stadium yall's Death Valley is.

Huh?

Jul 27, 2014, 3:21 PM

What is your criteria?

UK's stadium is extremly nice.

Depends on your criteria for worst

Jul 27, 2014, 3:55 PM

Kinda like how Scott Stadium (UVA) is very nice. But you won't see too many people argue that it's one of the college football's best stadiums... or even among the ACC's best.

Commonwealth may be nice, but it doesn't have much atmosphere.

Well- like I said - depends on your criteria -

Jul 27, 2014, 9:20 PM

are you talking atmosphere?

A lot of crappy stadiums can have a great atmosphere.

A lot of great stadiums can be dead at times.

I've been to UK's stadium several times- it was never a dead atmoshere- and it's certainly a very nice stadium overall.

Someone ranking it as a bad stadium has probably never been there- or isn't interested in being fairminded.

Re: Well- like I said - depends on your criteria -

Jul 27, 2014, 9:27 PM

I haven't been inside W-B since the upgrades but I actually drove past it today. The outside looks better and what they did to the farmers looks pretty cool. It's still in a dump. And it's laughable to consider it on campus. They'll have to spend another half billion dollars buying land to rip and concrete and turn it into Hilton Head-Midlands. And it will still be in a dump. Off campus.

It's not

Jul 27, 2014, 10:13 PM

on campus

It looks good and is getting better every year with even more plans slated to be completed next year.

Of course Clemson fans are going to rip it regardless. That's expected and no big deal.

Of course there are limits because of the industrial areas around the stadium.

Eventually some of those will move and the university will buy them up and add more green spaces. But that's long term.

Re: It's not

Jul 27, 2014, 10:56 PM

It's a good thing y'all are bringing in SEC money. What you're attempting to do isn't cheap. No way ECU could pull that off.

It's not

Jul 28, 2014, 9:13 AM [ in reply to It's not ]

Getting better is relative. The kind of relative that nobody notices. Landscaping ? Check
Potholes patched in tailgating areas ? Check
Mentally unstable vagrants rounded up on gameday and returned to the shelter ? Check
Condos erected to partially obscure industrialization in area ? Check.

As I said , lipstick on a pig .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

It's a bit funny to me that people want to being manufacturing jobs

Jul 28, 2014, 9:37 AM [ in reply to It's not ]

Back from China but at the same time call industrial areas ugly.

I've never been one to care about the surrounding areas of a stadium. Generally my interest is on what goes on inside the stadium. But the upgrades to the farmers market and fairgrounds look amazing. When they tear up the asphalt parking immediately outside the stadium it's going to look like a completely different area than in 2005.

I wouldn't expect clemson fans to admit it though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

I don't get your meaning in this post , how

Jul 28, 2014, 2:33 PM

Your comments prove your point , or how they prove anything about Willy b.

Industrial areas are ugly. That has nothing to do wIth trying to bring jobs back to the USA. You don't build a 3000 acre oil refinery below mount Rushmore. If you do, guess what. Mount Rushmore would be considered ugly.

Are trying to use patriotism to admit Willy Brice is not so good looking?

Is that equivalent to put a flag over her face and do it for America?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I'm just laughing at resorting to

Jul 28, 2014, 2:56 PM

Industrial areas are ugly. Clemson would have done anything to trade with Columbia 70 years ago to have those economic engines.

At this point there isn't anything ugly about WB.

We have the superior stadium and superior tailgating areas. Congrats on being able to see the lake while we get to see the state capital.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm just laughing at resorting to

Jul 28, 2014, 3:04 PM

The industrial areas were turned into condos and tailgating clubs. CU is up there with LSU as far as game day experience, but WB is not bad. It's now better than UGA, IMHO.

UGA has a much nicer stadium

Jul 28, 2014, 3:07 PM

Than either Clemson or Carolina.

All teams with large fanbases have great gameday experiences. It's a bit like saying, "world's best pancakes."

I'm a longtime Tiger (since mid 70s) and willy b

Jul 27, 2014, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Huh? ]

is muuuuuuuch improved in recent years. Too much so for my liking. I think most of my buddies have not been to coot town in several years. If they have, they don't like what they are seeing - lots of $ being spent all over the campus, even extending the campus to willy b. if you were brave enough to go last November you know what I'm talking about.

Pears on a Pig.***

Jul 27, 2014, 8:42 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whoops, s/b Pearls.***

Jul 27, 2014, 8:42 PM

Re: I'm a longtime Tiger (since mid 70s) and willy b

Jul 27, 2014, 8:52 PM [ in reply to I'm a longtime Tiger (since mid 70s) and willy b ]

They have improved directly around the stadium and at the old Farmers Market. It is still a few blocks away from an industrial district.

Please explain to me how they've physically extended their campus to WB?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jul 27, 2014, 8:58 PM

If you look at map of USC, you'll notice that on the map they colored the area between campus and the stadium grey, hence extending their campus to the stadium.

If you look closely at the map, you'll see the new baseball stadium is also on campus.

http://www.sc.edu/cgi-bin/uscmap/overview.cgi

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2014, 2:06 PM

If grey is indicating "campus," then the Vista, the State House and Downtown are all part of campus. I think the grey is used to show the blocks and roads. No doubt usc is buying up everything they can, but it is not contiguous from the stadiums to the main campus...at least not yet.

No way in hell am I looking at that website.***

Jul 28, 2014, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm a longtime Tiger (since mid 70s) and willy b ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Jul 28, 2014, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm a longtime Tiger (since mid 70s) and willy b ]

I always thought since USC owns the land/stadium the 'on campus' designation was just a technicality.

Tell 'em marlborocountycoot

Jul 27, 2014, 10:04 PM [ in reply to I'm a longtime Tiger (since mid 70s) and willy b ]

fooling no one

It's definitely better than it used to be....

Jul 28, 2014, 8:35 AM [ in reply to I'm a longtime Tiger (since mid 70s) and willy b ]

but the indistrial area around the stadium is still a dump.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Your pulse says you do enjoy those upgrades.***

Jul 28, 2014, 2:09 PM [ in reply to I'm a longtime Tiger (since mid 70s) and willy b ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The dumpsters and empty warehouses do make for a fine

Jul 28, 2014, 2:09 PM [ in reply to Huh? ]

atmosphere.

U.T.'s stadium might be ugly

Jul 27, 2014, 3:42 PM

but it has a great atmosphere on game day and seats over 100K. I watched U.T. play Notre Dame and U.G.A. at Neyland, and both were excellent experiences. You forget the Ole Miss, Miss St., Missouri, Vandy, Kentucky play in the S.E.C.

Most don't forget those bottom feeders

Jul 27, 2014, 4:18 PM

Play in the sec. But ESPN try's to get people to forget.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Willy B is ELECTRIC

Jul 27, 2014, 6:43 PM

Longest home winning streak in the nation. Get some!

It's as electric as a dead battery - #### coot***

Jul 27, 2014, 6:48 PM

Re: It's as electric as a dead battery - #### coot***

Jul 27, 2014, 7:44 PM

Lipstick on a pig. It is dank , it smells like urine anywhere inside , it has rats.
Outside it is 2 miles away from their campus (lol) . It is in between two different low rent neighborhoods and the warehouses and train tracks make it feel like you are tailgating in Newark , NJ.
That place is a dump.

DB23

Re: It's as electric as a dead battery - #### coot***

Jul 27, 2014, 8:33 PM [ in reply to It's as electric as a dead battery - #### coot*** ]

Vaught-Hemingway Stadium at Ole Miss sucks. And I mean sucks.

Visually from the outside, it is a dump with cracked, spauled concrete, faded pressure treated wooden steps and bridges crossing the ditch alongside the road, with a rough looking electrical power substation taking up a corner next to the stadium. Under the stands there are chainlink fences and dark corridors with junk in them, pick up trucks parked and some 1950s looking concession stands. There is essentially NO near stadium parking, which is how the grove got to be famous. They gotta tailgate somewhere.

Inside the stadium it is obvious the whole thing was pieced together with a little bit coming from the 60s, some coming from the 80s and some later weak efforts to make it look nice bolted on top.

It has one of those huge end zone monstrosity seating areas that mean a WHOLE lot of people have terrible seating. And the scoreboard sits on something that looks like 3 roman arches, which is a really odd looking architectural flourish. Finally there is a garage just outside one end of one corner of an end zone and a handful of red-roofed odd buildings sitting way too close to the stadium. The area behind the opposite end of the stadium is occupied by a sewage treatment plant.

I am promising you that Ole Miss's stadium is a dump.

Message was edited by: Harley®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A&M is coming to fix that streak for you***

Jul 27, 2014, 8:35 PM [ in reply to Willy B is ELECTRIC ]

Congratulations on getting electricity !

Jul 27, 2014, 10:06 PM [ in reply to Willy B is ELECTRIC ]

Don't forget to put a light on the ONLY conference championship flag you will ever have. 1969.

Willy B is incredibly lame

Jul 28, 2014, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Willy B is ELECTRIC ]

A piped in movie theme, fire extinguisher smoke, and a #### in a box...electrifying for sure.

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Willy B is incredibly lame

Jul 28, 2014, 6:16 PM

I am trembling with fear when I see thier intro.

NOT!

If Steven Spurrier knew how to use timeouts it would be

Jul 28, 2014, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Willy B is ELECTRIC ]

even longer.

See Auburn 2011.

TN due to everyone having 3/4th of a seat. Should sit

Jul 27, 2014, 8:40 PM

80k at most.

#### roach..doo doo ice...you get the idea about willy b.*

Jul 28, 2014, 8:50 AM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Re: Worst stadium in the SEC? Willy B?

Jul 28, 2014, 3:02 PM

Were you there in November? It's improved significantly.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic