Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Worst away game experience?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 80
| visibility 1

Worst away game experience?

Aug 16, 2012, 11:38 AM

1994 at Georgia for me.
We lost 14-40
$10.00 to park in a muddy lot behind a run down store
rude obnoxious fans who obviously had a problem having Tigers parked in this great lot
1/2 mile walk to stadium
verbal abuse all the way from men, women, kids, drunks
verbal abuse in stadium
verbal abuse in restrooms
verbal abuse at concession stand
We stayed until the end (as always) of this beat down
Verbal abuse from the victorious drunks walking back
Short but seemingly long ride back to Greenville in the rain
Never again. My last trip to Athens, ever

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Worst away game experience?

Aug 16, 2012, 11:49 AM

2012 at GT

I spent most of the game arguing with the dumb@$$ CLEMSON fan standing right next to me...As soon as we went down 7-3 he started talking about how the game was over and we might as well go home now and that Dabo has to go. I was just trying to tell him to quit whining and cheer on the team. He spent the whole rest of the game rubbing it in MY face whenever we got scored on.

This was one of our own fans, guys!

After the game, I went back to my friends' fraternity (where I was stuck spending the night). Since the only clothes I had were my orange sweatshirt and orange long-sleeved shirt, I stripped down to my under shirt so they couldn't harass me (Keep in mind it was 45 degrees outside). I put my sweatshirt on as I was about to leave, and I was instantly mobbed....they practically threw me off the fire escape as I tried to get out of there)

This or the Orange Bowl, but that one speaks for itself

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2012, 7:31 AM

2012?????

2011....I guess I was eager to put that one behind me!***

Aug 17, 2012, 1:12 PM

2000 gator bowl vs. VT. Hokie fans were total donkey-holes.***

Aug 29, 2012, 12:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Worst away game experience? ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2012, 11:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Worst away game experience? ]

That was Blue Caddie beside you

For me...1991 Georgia in Athens. I was spit on..ice and cups

Aug 16, 2012, 11:57 AM

thrown at me, verbally abused plus we lost. Second was the 1987 South Carolina...verbally abused...nearly got in a fight with a sorry white trash drunk GameChicken..it was their Black Death to Clemson night and we lost.....My 2 worst I can remember.

Aug 16, 2012, 11:58 AM

Duke...the general apathy there to me is worse than any overzealous fan at a school that actually cares.

COLLEGE: A three-year starter at strong safety for Clemson, finished his career with 234 tackles and 11 interceptions.

Based on my own experience and in order....

Aug 16, 2012, 12:02 PM

1 - Georgia

2 - Maryland

3 - NC State

In fairness, Maryland fans have mellowed considerably over the last few years and my last two trips up there (2011 and 2007) were quite nice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

2002 @ UGA

Aug 16, 2012, 12:03 PM

Here's why:

- Had to turn around and come back to Clemson because we left our tickets in Clemson; so we got parked in the boonies of Athens about 30 minutes before kickoff (at best)
- Lost the game by 3
- Could not find our car after the game
- Were cussed out by EVERYONE as we wandered around Athens searching for our car
- Ask Athens police to help us find our car, and were denied but told to "be careful because it's kind of dangerous this late (~2 am)"
- Continued to get cussed at
- Finally found the car and got pulled over on the way home by a Georgia cop to basically gloat to us that "the Dawgs beat you boys tonight"
- Got back to Clemson around 4 am

Re: UGA for sure!

Aug 16, 2012, 12:18 PM

On a bus from Clemson inching along in traffic in Athens, GA and a drunk UGA fan was walking by our bus, and saw it loaded with organge fans. He proceeded to bend over, pulled down his pants and mooned the bus. At this point in the traffic, we were just sitting there. Sooo, here he was mooning us, we were just looking at him, the bus didn't move and the drunk eventually pulled up his pants and walked on. Classless. Of course the typical ice being thrown on us, cussing like drunkin sailors at us. Afterwards I vowed...never again, never again will I set foot in Athens, GA...and I haven't in 20 years! Just reminds me...we don't want to be "those type of fans." Let's graciously welcome our visitors to our stadium/campus, let's tell them to have a great game, let's compliment them on a good game (win or lose), and let's invite them to stop by our tailgate for a drink or snack. That's the CLEMSON WAY!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's easy - ANYTIME you go to .....

Aug 16, 2012, 12:15 PM

a game in Athens against UGA - the verbal abuse by all the drunk ######## there is too much - will never take a woman to a game there again.

columbia is a tie***

Aug 17, 2012, 4:21 PM

Aug 16, 2012, 12:29 PM

believe it or not...Wake Forest 2001

The WF fans were the worst I have ever encountered. Sitting on the "Clemson" side and not being abnoxious by any stretch, WF fans cussed at us, threw ice, made quips the entire game.

Also, they have a Hardee's directly across the street from the stadium that didn't open until noon...on game day...WHAT?!?!?

ummm does the OB count?

Aug 16, 2012, 12:31 PM

I was there....

Re: ummm does the OB count?

Aug 16, 2012, 12:37 PM

1. USC in 1987. The fans threw glass bottles at us as we left the stadium.
2. NC State 2011. They haven't won in a long time and the wolf sounds and drunk rednecks was so unpleasant and I live in Raleigh.
3. Wake Forest(not sure of the year but they beat us almost 100 to 0). The fans were rude and then sat in football and fair traffic for about 2 hours to get away from stadium.

Aug 16, 2012, 12:39 PM

I really hope that we're on top of most other teams' best experience list. I cringe when our fans taunt the other teams fans (I've even told them to shut up). Cheer for the Tigers and treat the other team's fans the way you'd like to be treated.

Nothing works better than the golden rule my brother in

Aug 17, 2012, 12:52 AM

all phases of life!

Aug 17, 2012, 7:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Worst away game experience? ]

I will always treat that trash from columbia the way they deserve to be treated...like the dogs they are same goes for any leghumper fan that comes to the valley

Aug 17, 2012, 2:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Worst away game experience? ]

> I really hope that we're on top of most other teams'
> best experience list. I cringe when our fans taunt
> the other teams fans (I've even told them to shut
> up). Cheer for the Tigers and treat the other team's
> fans the way you'd like to be treated.

Clemson fans in DV DO treat MOST visiting fans with grace. Never heard a complaint from any of them, except for UGA fans who make up stories about cars getting keyed.

HOWEVER, your courtesy and nobility do NOT apply to University of South Carolina fans from all the reports I've heard over the years, ALTHOUGH I must admit, I've never had an 'incident' at Clemson.

Rich --"I've never had an incident at Death Valley." but...

Aug 17, 2012, 2:33 PM

all my lyin' friends said they did.

geezus

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hate Columbia win or lose. Last year was awful. The most

Aug 16, 2012, 12:52 PM

embarrassed I've been as a Clemson fan was the Alabama game and the recent Orange Bowl game at neutral sites.

That Alabama game was an eye-opener as to what a passionate fan base truly is. We have incredible fans, but that entire program, from fans and cheerleaders to coaches and players, was on a completely different level.

Only time I've been to UGA was 2003-ish and had a great time but I know the rivalry wasn't the same then.

Re: I hate Columbia win or lose. Last year was awful. The most

Aug 17, 2012, 7:36 AM

2003 we played the dawgs at home

2004 Loss to Duke

Aug 16, 2012, 1:18 PM

I only made the trip as an excuse to shack up with this girl I was trying to get with at the time . . . and for the funnel cakes, fried snickers, garlic fries and other crazy fair food they have at their home games (i guess that's the only way they get people in the stadium) . . . that was awful . . . the 50 Duke students in attendance (mostly foreign) failed miserably in their attempt to tear the goalpoast down after they beat us.

GT 09 (both games)

Aug 16, 2012, 1:27 PM

The epic comeback only to fall short in ATL hurt bad.

Re: GT 09 (both games)***

Aug 16, 2012, 4:24 PM

Were you the guy on TV they kept showing in the stands?***

Aug 16, 2012, 4:24 PM

Athens, GA is the mecca of white, vulgar drunken trash

Aug 16, 2012, 1:48 PM

I will never attend a game there. NEVER!

Worked close to Athens after graduation in manufacturing and

Aug 18, 2012, 11:15 PM

Monday mornings after a Falcon game quite often there would be women with bruses from drunken husbands. Different type of rednecks in that area.

Columbia is the worst, Durham is the most boring

Aug 16, 2012, 1:49 PM

NCSU is almost as bad as Columbia.

UGA outside the stadium is bad, but the stadium is good.

when the UGA president complains of feces on the ground...

Aug 16, 2012, 1:52 PM

...at the tailgating sites, you know you are dealing with a fan base that just isn't quite there in the head. Ugh!!! Columbia is nowhere near as bad as Athens. We need an ACC sweep in 2012 over the SEC rivals.

Peach Bowl vs. Baylor

Aug 16, 2012, 1:51 PM

Froze my ace off.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

agreed. coldest game i've ever been to..

Aug 17, 2012, 5:21 AM

mike singletary was baylors mlb that year, for those who didn't already know this.

Aug 16, 2012, 2:39 PM

back in the '80s the Georgia games at Clemson were by far the
worst games for law enforcement to work. He said they came up her with
four things on their agenda:

1. getting drunk (most being drunk on arrival)
2. fighting
3. football
4. getting drunker after the game

Back in the 60's in Athens....I mean I thought I could

Aug 16, 2012, 2:42 PM

talk trash, but those crackers stunned me into silence with their ability to curse for five minutes without repeating themselves! To top that off they had looks on their faces that made me think that if they smiled, their faces would crack. They gave credulance to the idea that there are certain folks who are low-bred, low-life, low-class and low-brained!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1995 at south carolina.....

Aug 16, 2012, 4:03 PM

Their fans were so unbelievably drunk and were throwing objects around the stands. It was like being in the double deuce before Patrick swayze cleaned it up in the movie roadhouse

I guess they were drunk and obnoxious after

Aug 17, 2012, 5:41 AM

Emory dragged half their team down the field on that long run.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hands down

Aug 16, 2012, 5:31 PM

My worst away game experience was the UGA game in Athens on Labor Day night the year after we won the NC. Saw more fights and almost got into one with that bunch of thrash that goes to their game. We parked and walked in on River Road ( where all the fraternities have there houses ) They had been draining kegs all day and you almost had to fight your way in and out. My wife says she will never set foot on that campus again and that it was the only time in her life that she feared for her physical safety at a college football game. Anyone else notice that an awfull lot of these responses seem to involve UGA ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's a reason Georgia was the prisoners dumping ground...

Aug 16, 2012, 9:23 PM

...in the Colonial era. Hmmm.........

UGAY takes the cake. At least others only had ice thrown..

Aug 16, 2012, 5:42 PM

at them and not the beer bottle. When we used to play UGA in the 80's I would much rather have a win over them than USC if I had to choose.

Anyone else hear this DawgPost guy spewing on the radio these days...the epitome of arrogant like all drunken UGA fans.

Re: Worst away game experience? NC State

Aug 16, 2012, 5:43 PM

NC State in the pouring rain 28-0, I think. It was in the late 80's. Cannot remember the year. We were riding with NC State fans and they were celebrating with their friends and had the car keys. We sat in the car with some State people and they gave us a beer while we waited on our friends that we were totally ticked off at. Then the traffic was horrible and we had a long wait to get out. Not helping was the fact that Clemson was favored to win.

Aug 17, 2012, 12:36 AM

Mine was at UGA as well and I think it was late 80s and we lost the game. During the game we were constantly blasted by full cups of soda and these drunks kept pulling at my shirt the whole game. I went to the game with a good number of people on a bus and on the way out of athens as we were slowly pulling out of the traffic I saw one guy pissing on a clemson flag and his drunk buddy actually dropped his pants no drawers and was pointing at us and then at his crank over and over. I mean ive been to some messed up places but I too will never go back to athens. There was even signs posted that I saw talking smack on the way down and back along the highway.

So your trip to Cracker Town was better than most people's?***

Aug 17, 2012, 12:43 AM

1994 trip to UGA worst of course, but a close second

Aug 17, 2012, 6:33 AM

was the kickoff game v Alabama in 2008. Rode the Marta to the stadium and my buddy with the tickets left them in the car. He had to ride back and we had to stand outside the staduim for and hour waiting on him. In the meantime scalpers were getting $500.00 per ticket. I kid you not. We finally get to our seats about 5 minutes before kickoff and we are sitting beside the roughest looking Bama fans you could imagine. They must have robbed a convinence store to buy the tickets. After the beatdown started, they laughed and mocked Clemson in Alabamese the entire time. I went to buy a round of beer to dull the pain and it was $36 for 4 beers. We left and the Marta cars were filled with the most pissed of looking crowd of Clemson fans you could imagine. Back on i-85 at midnight or so, we got in a traffic jam. Terrible trip. Oh and collectively we spent over $500 for that tourture.

1993 Tallahassee

Aug 17, 2012, 6:44 AM

FSU 57---Tigers 0

Long ride to the game, murderous heat at the game and we got pounded.

I am with you....that really sucked

Aug 18, 2012, 6:40 PM

and on top of the misery, my AC went out on the way back. My room mate and I cursed each other the whole way back. Not like the fun of 1989 from Tally

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

The one good thing about that day was it was the start of

Aug 18, 2012, 9:09 PM [ in reply to 1993 Tallahassee ]

theof the end of Hatfield. All of us who were told we didn't know what we were talking about when said we knew bad football when we saw, were vindicated that day.
Kind of like being told we were crazy when we complained about K. Steele' s defense after the first two games last year. Took State and WV games to be vindicated in that case.

2000 fsu

Aug 17, 2012, 7:21 AM

game...what a miserable game and a bunch of ahole fans got in a few skirmishes that night

Re: 2000 fsu 100% agree

Aug 18, 2012, 10:50 PM

This was worst than all the UGA and South Carolina games combined.

Yep. Me too. Drank too much. Bad all around.

Aug 28, 2012, 9:57 PM [ in reply to 2000 fsu ]

Second was some year at gt when choice was the RB for them and we should have throttled them. Maybe 07 or 08. Terrible game. Completely inept on offense.

Maryland. Any year. Win or lose.

Aug 17, 2012, 9:06 AM

nm

yankees......what do you expect?***

Aug 17, 2012, 4:23 PM

Been to two games up there. One a win one...no problem

Aug 28, 2012, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Maryland. Any year. Win or lose. ]

Either time.

Aug 17, 2012, 9:58 AM

Anytime I have been to the cockroach, I would consider a horrible experience! BUT, last time I was their, my bad out of stadium experience, turned into a 45-0 blowout for the Tigers in 1989!!I'm pretty sure Danny and them could here me and my buddy hollering, cause nobody else was there shortly after halftime!!

Orange Bowl***

Aug 17, 2012, 10:56 AM

Re: 1996 UNC. Lost 45-0 in bad heat and seats.

Aug 17, 2012, 12:35 PM

I had also gone to the 1995 Gator Bowl. Lost 41-0 in the cold rain. Two straight shoutouts and 96 points scored by the opponents.

Aug 17, 2012, 12:43 PM

Back to back away games.....

Loss to Syracuse in the Gator Bowl by a 0-41 mark.
The next game was AT UNC and we lost 0-45.

I was at both games, seeing us lose by a combined 0-86.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Any trip to Athens - 1987 Cootlumbia

Aug 17, 2012, 12:51 PM

UGA fans are the sorriest to walk the Earth. Little kids cussing you out and dropping f-bombs and liquored-up obnoxious rednecks who have never been anywhere near a college campus except for a football game or to steal rims.
1987 Cootlumbia - see above comments about Dawg fans. I have never been back to Columbia since then and wont go back.

Williams Brice every single time since '03

Aug 17, 2012, 1:26 PM

More drunk morons with little to no common decency than I've ever seen gathered around one structure.

And hell I live here. But that week seems to bring the worst out of Columbia.

GO TIGERS!!

nc state...by far the worst ever***

Aug 17, 2012, 1:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every time I set foot into the cockroach it gets worse....

Aug 17, 2012, 1:31 PM

cigarettes, chewing gum, ice, obscenities, spittle, anything that can be thrown, is. They suck. Hard.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

2006 VT

Aug 17, 2012, 2:45 PM

Was a Thursday night game and we lost pretty bad after beating GT. Had to go to work the day after. Got cussed out by every drunk redneck in blacksburg. Got sick the day after for a week.

Re: 2006 VT

Aug 29, 2012, 4:12 AM

I was there too. I have never seen or smelled so much liquor in a stadium before. If someone had lit a match. We would've had another Hiroshima, or Nagasaki

Peach bowl vs LSU***

Aug 17, 2012, 2:50 PM

1996 gator bowl vs Syracuse***

Aug 17, 2012, 2:38 AM

2007 vs usuc First and only time where people threw trash at

Aug 17, 2012, 4:14 PM

Me after a game. I was cursed at by grown men, mind you I was petite 26 year old female. Saw a few brawls after the game where beer bottles were smashed over peoples heads. The best was when I was approached my a hoochie female coot in the restroom asking me why I preferred p***y over #####. Classy right? Needless to say, I've never been back.

Re: 1996 gator bowl vs Syracuse***

Aug 28, 2012, 10:43 PM [ in reply to 1996 gator bowl vs Syracuse*** ]

I would agree but chose not to go sit in the rain thank goodness. It would have ranlked right up there for sure had I gone. It was bad enough eating the cost of tickets and watching on TV.

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

1987 in columbia and 1982 in athens....nothing else close.***

Aug 17, 2012, 4:18 PM

Maryland.

Aug 17, 2012, 4:24 PM

Worst fans anywhere.

Aug 18, 2012, 11:06 PM

January 1, 1996 Gator Bowl

Clemson lost to Syracuse 0-41

Any loss in Cootlumbia,

Aug 18, 2012, 11:22 PM

Duke in 2004, Syracuse in bowl and VT in a miserably cold night in the Gator Bowl.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1999 at SC

Aug 18, 2012, 11:28 PM

When Woody hit Gardner on 4th and 10 and put the game away, I jumped up celebrating as I was with my coot brother in law and the only Clemson fan with in miles and they booed me and cursed me. Every time i'd stand and cheer they yelled sit down. There was the old lady who yelled ##### the whole game. My brother in law said he can't stand her. I thought i was gonna get beat down after 4th and 10, I just smiled at everyone who bashed me. Suck it coots

Aug 28, 2012, 9:50 PM

Tie Orange Bowl 2012 and Alabama Kickoff in Atlanta

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

USuCk 2011. Will be my one and only trip to that

Aug 28, 2012, 9:55 PM

cesspool.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Aug 28, 2012, 10:13 PM

As a Carolina fan it was easily the game with Gardner's catch to set up the field goal. Looking like we had the win and just a deflating loss. After that game is when I realized I was being way to affected by games I had no control over.

2009 USC

Aug 28, 2012, 10:19 PM

my first and last trip to that DUMP. i will never ever ever ever go back. never. my father in law is a USC season ticket holder and continuously asks me to come to a game when clemson isn't home and tailgate with them. my reply to him.... H ELL noooooo

Re: 2009 USC

Aug 28, 2012, 10:21 PM

came to the same conclusion about 25 years ago.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2009 USC

Aug 29, 2012, 3:19 AM [ in reply to 2009 USC ]

either 2009 Gator Bowl or 2009 at Billy Brice...my truck broke down on the way to Jacksonville and as you guys remember we lost to the shuckers, got arrested in Columbia for beating the hell out of a classless usuc fan that was running around grabbing womens breasts and decided to do so to my gr at the time

1979 at Columbia

Aug 28, 2012, 10:35 PM

USuC students wore "Cluck Femson" shirts and left birdseed on the away stands so birds would eat and .....

Had kid that looked to be about 9 with parents in tow look at me dressed in Orange leaving the game and yelled "your team sucks". Parents didn't bat an eye.

I was 20 and been to all our other away games that year. Learned very quickly what USuC fans were made of.

Aug 28, 2012, 10:45 PM

Wando I have to agree with you about going to Athens. It is actually worse than Columbia. They toss liquor bottles at you and everything else. One of the worst places I have ever visited

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

Aug 29, 2012, 3:26 AM

my wife and i were thinking of making the trip to Georgia in a couple of years but you guys are starting to make me think twice

Replies: 80
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic