Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Worst Clemson Football game road trip?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

Worst Clemson Football game road trip?

Jul 22, 2015, 3:05 PM

In 2009 EOTT2 called me up asking if I wanted to do a road trip to see CJ and company man handle the Yellow Jackets in Tampa at the ACCCG. Of course I did. EOTT2 had a photo gig and 1 sideline pass for the game. He had found a ticket for myself and we were meeting the guy at exit 19B and would take a route thru Atlanta to Tampa. The idea was the make this trip as cheap as possible so we'll drive to the game. watch the game drive home, All in the same 24 hr period, approx.

We get off on 19B (at the same time) and meet said ticket holder, then begin our trek early Saturday morning. At some point in the day we find ourselves in Gaineville needing a break. We parked at the Swamp and walked around to see what we could see. We saw their three crystal footballs, the "promise", and some alligator statue thing. The stadium seemed have some maintenance going on and we had trouble finding access.

At that point we went to a fanfare store attached to the stadium wearing out Clemson gear and looked around. A student chatted it up with for a sec and then asked if we wanted to see the field/stadium etc. The store had a entrance to the stadium and he ushered us thru there and down on the field. It was cool I guess. Their stadium is really close to the field in some areas. Much closer than DV. We did the photo thing and bolted.

Finally getting to Tampa worn out from the 9+ hr drive, our 2nd wind kicks in CJ begins to kick @ss. Im sure we all saw the game, very back and forth. CJ seemed as unstoppable as GT's offense. Losing that one sucked b/c CJ had worked so hard and done so much that game.

The ride home made it the worst Clemson football road trip for me. We drove straight back, 9+ hrs as soon as the game was over. That has to be the longest feeling drive ever in my life. Around 3 AM I had to pee like a newborn baby being held by a childless uncle. So we stopped at every open convenience store on one exit, then the next and none of the towel heads would let me use the restroom. I assume its b/c Im a clean cut white guy that has his chit together. So I found a dumpster and pissed all over it.

I have never been so exhausted from a road trip and disappointed at the same time. That was rough.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is why I don't go to road games and you were witness to

Jul 22, 2015, 3:08 PM

only road trip I've ever made.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What a cold f'in night that was***

Jul 22, 2015, 3:09 PM

Oh the wind. The unrelenting wind.***

Jul 22, 2015, 3:10 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Md when they won the ACC

Jul 22, 2015, 3:11 PM

had small nephews with us and got full beers thrown at us many times with cursing at us all the way to the stadium. After we lost, paddy wagons and helicopters deployed.

Wouldn't have been as bad if it wasn't for 2 small children with us.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every trip to College Park is a tie for the worst road trip.***

Jul 22, 2015, 3:13 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that campus is a rat hole. not sure why anyone goes there.***

Jul 22, 2015, 3:15 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd have to say Orange Bowl...

But the trip was actually pretty fun outside of now ex, and losing by shittons of points.. It's a shame the team didn't bother to show up in Miami.. They'd have had a good time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

What'd the ex do wrong?***

Jul 22, 2015, 3:14 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: s'ed the wrong d***

Jul 22, 2015, 3:20 PM

By far, WVU

##### game and even shitier weather...

Freshman year I went to several away games, lost them all.

Jul 22, 2015, 3:15 PM

@ G Tech (loss)
@ UVA (I skipped this one - was Clemson's all time greatest comeback win)
@ NC State (loss)
@ Wake Forest (loss)

Pretty much soured me on away games.

#ACCFTS

My current away game record is 0-5

Jul 22, 2015, 3:22 PM

I'm thinking about going to the USC game this year, but I know I probably shouldn't.

ROH

Get your affairs in order.***

Jul 22, 2015, 3:24 PM

I know, I know, but free ticket!***

Jul 22, 2015, 3:24 PM

ROH

Are you in control of this ticket?

Jul 22, 2015, 3:34 PM

Can you sell it?

No I am not in control of this ticket.

Jul 22, 2015, 3:42 PM

I was involved in pulling some strings and getting a dude some tickets last year in Clemson and this year he has offered to make sure we have tickets to the game if we want to go.

ROH

You don't want to go. If you #### this up for us... ... ...***

Jul 22, 2015, 3:43 PM

Obviously if I went and we lost I would lie about it here...***

Jul 22, 2015, 4:36 PM

ROH

You've already said you are going.

Jul 22, 2015, 4:42 PM

If we lose and particularly if everything else goes as planned, you are in for it. Don't forget, we know how to find you now.

#### it.

Jul 22, 2015, 4:53 PM

I forgot I'm no longer off the grid.

ROH

Try going to away games that aren't big games

Jul 22, 2015, 4:34 PM [ in reply to My current away game record is 0-5 ]

You'll find that your record dramatically improves...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, but as I am still a poor the only games I'm willing to

Jul 22, 2015, 4:38 PM

pay to see are the big games. I don't want to spend the money involved in an overnight trip to see us win a game by 30 points.

ROH

GT and any North Carolina school are not

Jul 22, 2015, 4:42 PM

overnight trips.

They are if you're tailgating correctly***

Jul 22, 2015, 4:53 PM

ROH

1996 Gator Bowl is the correct answer

Jul 22, 2015, 3:17 PM

Pretty cold
Raining cats and dogs
Shutout 41-0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRspftFPl0c

The dog track in Jacksonville is fun though.

Re: I was at that game. That was a rough one to sit thru

Jul 22, 2015, 3:21 PM

I was glad we blocked the PAT tho

Re: or they missed it or something

Jul 22, 2015, 3:21 PM

that was the only highlight of the game

Tough call, have seen about 8000 losses in Atlanta butt

Jul 22, 2015, 3:25 PM

I think Wake Forest 2008 might take the cake, there was nothing really wrong with the tailgating or away fan experience, but I couldn't believe how absolutely pathetic our offense was that day. We lost like 12-7 with James Davis and Spiller.

The only solace from that was returning home and finding out that Bowden got shitcanned on that Monday morning

On monday, but the game was on thursday night.

Jul 23, 2015, 7:09 AM

#WhatTookSoLong?

Oh wait - I had blocked it. Worst was Bama game in ATL

Jul 22, 2015, 3:26 PM

when we were way overrated at #9 and they stomped us. I was at the game with my in-laws, who are lifetime bama fans.

Only time I ever wore/owned a purple hat. I intentionally left it under my chair.

#ACCFTS

It was also about 8000 degrees tailgating on that concrete***

Jul 22, 2015, 3:28 PM

Thank Tom they were too old/scared to tailgate.***

Jul 22, 2015, 3:28 PM

#ACCFTS

I watched that game at the Clemson bar in DC

Jul 22, 2015, 4:50 PM [ in reply to Oh wait - I had blocked it. Worst was Bama game in ATL ]

It was the Crystal City Sports Pub at the time. There's a notorious tiddy bar called Crystal City Restaurant right across the street where they can't even get fully nude. While it's notorious, none of us ever considered going there because it was so seedy. After the game, we felt so bad about ourselves that the only place degrading enough to feel comfortable in was Crystal City Restaurant. Didn't look at any of the girls, didn't spend any money, but at least nobody said anything about how bad we'd gotten our tails kicked.

(Just FYI, Crystal City Restaurant features in the movie White Reindeer, which you can find on Netflix)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I miss going to that place.

Jul 22, 2015, 6:57 PM

The Barney uniform GT game was a magnificent spectacle of drunkenness with follow on adult entertainment with a strange woman. The VT game following that, not so much.

Of course, one night I got volunteered to give a guy a ride back to Lexington Park who had just got out of jail and had no money for the bus. That was awkward.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Worst trip other than WVU orange bowl.

Jul 22, 2015, 3:41 PM

My sophomore year. So fall of '010, we gathered up a crew of 10 and piled into a camry and a crv to drive to Tallahassee. It was a night game so we left that morning and arrived Tallanasty about 5pm or two hours before kick off. It was at that point that we realized the guys place we were staying at was tiny. Like one bedroom one bathroom one living room/kitchen and all tile floors. Zero room for an air mattress even if we had brought one.

Go to the game, had a good time up until we lost. I mostly blame Jamie Harper for that one. The entire time we were on campus we were being heckled and cursed at and one guy got shoved coming down the ramp as we were trying to leave the stadium. ###### overly tan trashy people everywhere.

Then we go to Waffle House around midnight where the armed guard was playing hostess and seating everyone that came in. Things were going well here until more and more drunk FSU fans started packing the place. Nothing too outrageous happened though except more insults and a few hashbrowns being thrown at us.

We arrive back at the place we're staying around 1am and everyone tries to find a place to sleep. Girls obviously got dibs on the couches and the rest of us did everything possible to get comfortable on the tile. Lights were out about 2am. About an hour later everyone realized that no one was sleeping because tile so we all hop back in the car and leave to go home. A couple people managed to sleep some in the car, but I was a bit cramped and could not.

I have no idea what time we got back to Clemson because I was in a bit of a daze at that point, but it was either late morning or early afternoon sometime and in either case I went straight to bed and did not wake up until the next day.

1/10 would not recommend trying to sleep on a tile floor in Tallanasty.

ROH

Greenr's non-columbia Clemson Football Road Trips:

Jul 22, 2015, 3:42 PM

1996 Gator Bowel - #### Donovan McNabb
2001 Gator Bowel - #### Michael Vick - Also, got food poisoning
2004 @ Duke - #### those nerdy ### white dudes and #### TOMMY BOWDEN
2009 ACC Championship in Tampa - HOLY #### THAT DRIVE TAKES FOREVER AND WE SPENT A METRIC SHITTON OF MONEY TO WATCH CJ SPILLER RUN ALL OVER GA TECH AND WE STILL LOSE THE ####### GAME.
2010 Meineke Car Care Bowel - At least Tajh looked good....

SRS, I only see us lose in away games. I quit going.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WHERE TO BEGIN?? ... In order

Jul 22, 2015, 3:43 PM

- WAKE 2003 ... day tripper. Learned my cousin was a homosexual. Fans were complete horse fockers as we walked out.
- NCees Tate 2011 ... decent trip, but the game was a slap in ye ole bawls considering what our season coulda been.
- GA Tech 2007 ... Got in a fight with Mackey at Fogo de Chao. Wait, could this have been the BEST trip ever?

- WVU 2011 doesnt count. Miami was ####. and got laid.
- Alabama 2008 doesnt count. Stayed at the 4 Seasons. Was ####.

Re: Lutz I saw you at the Nancy ST game

Jul 22, 2015, 3:48 PM

ex of tote1 got punched in the back by a CR08

She tossed my balls around for a while

Jul 22, 2015, 3:54 PM

with me.

?

Re: She s'ed my d on the way home

Jul 22, 2015, 3:57 PM

twice

true love

Jul 22, 2015, 3:57 PM

?

Re: true #####

Jul 22, 2015, 3:59 PM

##### = w h o r e

HA

Jul 22, 2015, 4:02 PM [ in reply to WHERE TO BEGIN?? ... In order ]

Internet terrorist

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Duke in '04

Jul 22, 2015, 4:32 PM

Drive wasn't too bad, but we'd just come off beating Miami at Miami in overtime when beating Miami was still a big deal. Me and a roommate decided to drive up to Duke thinking we'd whoop up on'em. My friend that we were staying with who went to Duke didn't even bother going into the game, as he said Duke students only cared about tailgating. Clemson fans probably outnumbered Duke fans 2-1 in Wallace Wade.

We got to watch us lose on a last second 50 yard field goal, after which the handful of Duke fans took down the goalposts and paraded them around to the tailgates where they were just finding out that Duke had won. My roommate had planned to stay and party at Duke after the game, but we decided we didn't want to show our faces after that embarrassment.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

Closely followed by VT in '06

Jul 22, 2015, 5:01 PM

The road trip and Blacksburg were a lot of fun. The game and my roommate (same guy that went with me to the Duke game) banging out his sloot girlfriend on a coffee table in the middle of my friend's place (a female friend who I knew from church back home who didn't know my Clemson friends) while 5 of us slept in the same room were not as fun.

Kentucky 1985

Jul 22, 2015, 5:07 PM

end thread

Terrible game, but one heck of a great road trip.

Jul 23, 2015, 8:25 AM

I will always have a place in my heart for loose women from Lexington.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Bowl

Jul 22, 2015, 5:08 PM

WVU edition. Had front row seats in the endzone and the 99 yrd (not) fumble return came right at me. Nothing about the game was fun. The trip in general was awesome to S. Beach, but that game is one of the main reasons I am hesitant to ever invest anymore money in Clemson bowl games.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Tangerine Bowl against Texas Tech.

Jul 22, 2015, 6:59 PM

I'm glad they sold beer in the stadium, but I couldn't drink it fast enough to drown my sorrows. That was a painful drive back to Pensacola the next day.

Re: UVA 1996 or 1997 - can't remember specifically

Jul 22, 2015, 7:38 PM

Scott Stadium is a sh*t hole. Wahoos are d*uche bags. Four different changes in weather. Started hot. Then the rain came. Then it got f*cking cold. Then it snowed. At least we won.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's been a few! But also so many good ones..............

Jul 22, 2015, 8:06 PM

So I'll just cherish the memories good and bad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1992 Citrus Bowl loss to Cal....

Jul 22, 2015, 9:02 PM

Was seriously hung over from NYE the night before.

Game was something like a noon game and was miserable from the get-go.

We lost to a dang Pac-10 team and essentially was the beginning of the down-turn of the football program that marked the mid-late 1990s.

Re: Was this worse than when we went to Duke

Jul 23, 2015, 8:22 AM

almost got ticket scammed after hitting a dead deer carcus in the road and you almost puking when you looked under the car?!?

Re: I still remember the gag reflex. That was bad

Jul 23, 2015, 9:24 AM

but the game was good. All in all, good trip

Used to be Maryland. Now have to go with GT in ATL***

Jul 23, 2015, 8:50 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic