Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wonder if it was an accident we RUTS against GT
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,386

Wonder if it was an accident we RUTS against GT

Oct 17, 2020, 7:43 PM

Dabo is a nice classy guy when he feels he can be, but I've also noticed a certain telltale cutthroat edge to him over the years when the necessity is there. You don't see him bombing away in the fourth like Spurrier used to do but I have noticed that when he feels there's a point to it he will club the baby seal in rather remorseless fashion. Sometimes I think the reason is personal distaste - putting 77 on Louisville in 2018 felt like a bit of a finishing statement against Bobby Petrino - but more often it seems pragmatic.

He did it Miami and Al Golden in 2015 when he beat down Miami 58-0 and, incidentally, ended Golden's career on the spot. I do think Dabo felt bad about that - he gave Golden a big hug after the game - but at the end of the day there was a distinct point to the savagery and that point was pretty simple: Miami is one of the two richest fishing holes for talent in the country. During the rout you literally saw recruits who were visiting Miami trying to come across the the Clemson sideline as the rout happened. It was literally the worst day in Miami history...but a very good day for Clemson football. There's been some really good players from South Florida on Clemson's roster over the last few years.

The other major fishing hole for D1 talent in the nation, of course, is Atlanta - after seeing the ATL camp circuit with my own eyes, I think the talent level has passed even the town of Miami's - which is even more important to Clemson because of proximity. Today notwithstanding, I do think Geoff Collins is a pretty durn good coach and could indeed be the right guy to rebuild the the Bees; their facilities are a bit dated but again, that talent pool in the ATL. We've seen guys like Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, and Keith Brooking come through there and the YJ's have won a Natty themselves...and today here's Dabo, remorselessly putting his boot on GT's neck in a way we're not quite used to seeing. Best guess: it was about the recruits. The next Calvin Johnson is not going to have cause to select GT as a worthy alternative to Clemson, not this year, anyhow...because today Dabo assuredly Made A Statement today.

Just my .02. But while the days of Paul Johnson somehow getting almost none of his own town's immense local talent are clearly done, I really don't think Dabo has any intention of surrendering his present steel-clawed grip on the ATL talent pool either. So sorry, Geoff Collins: you seem like a good coach and an allright guy, but today Clemson needed to make an example outta ya....

Phew. And ouch. That was almost rough to watch.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wonder if it was an accident we RUTS against GT

Oct 17, 2020, 7:48 PM

Very astute analysis. I agree. Smart move by Dabo.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm thinking the recruiting thing

Oct 17, 2020, 7:57 PM

They are a potential destination for skill talent given the new offense and location.

Oh yeah I think Dabo whipped it out today and marked

Oct 17, 2020, 8:01 PM

his territory. Clemson can't maintain this level of program without a major recruiting presence in the Atlanta area and the state of Georgia as a whole.

I like the thought process. I actually wondered if it was...

Oct 18, 2020, 10:44 AM

something similar and somewhat related: Negative recruiting.

I don't know why, and I don't have proof, but I get the impression, watching Geoff Collins over the last year (and also knowing somethings as I'm friends with something who was on the former staff with PJ), I get the impression Collins will tell a recruit anything to get them. There seems a to be a bit of "snake" with him.

Collins has never really given Clemson credit, until after the game yesterday. Funny enough, He couldn't get the words out of his mouth as he seemed a bit like a deer in the headlights. Emotionally, you could see the stunned on his face and in his words in the post game press conference. Shell shocked could be another way to describe it.

Goal achieved.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,386
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic