»
Topic: Womens Basketball question ...
Replies: 5   Last Post: Mar 18, 2019 1:26 PM by: TigersO
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 5  

Womens Basketball question ...

Posted: Mar 18, 2019 12:48 PM

Should the goal be lowered for womens basketball to make the game more exciting ? Slam dunks ?

In softball, they shorten the base paths and outfield wall ...

Seems like a logical progressive step to me.

(Also, I think the women and mens games should be played as a doubleheader to save on travel costs, etc.)

2020 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: Womens Basketball question ...

Posted: Mar 18, 2019 1:04 PM

First, I think the basket for the men should be raised to take into account how much taller men gave gotten over the years. But if we do that, women would be at an even bigger disadvantage. Adjustable baskets?

Posted: Mar 18, 2019 1:04 PM

I would be in favor of lower baskets and smaller courts to create a sense of the game being played at a faster pace.

Like you suggested, this is basically the effect that softball gets by playing on a smaller field.

Everyone talks about how fast softball is played compared to baseball.

In reality, reaction times for high level softball are about the same as the Little League World Series.

The size of the field creates a watchable and exciting (for some people) product.

I'm not sure how high schools around the country or even most small colleges for that matter could accommodate the baskets and courts being different.

Posted: Mar 18, 2019 1:11 PM

If you've watched college softball, it is a lot more exciting than college baseball. College baseball is nearly unwatchable.

[1]
Posted: Mar 18, 2019 1:25 PM

I do not find college baseball unwatchable.

The knock on baseball is that it is slower and boring because it has become all strike outs and home runs.

If you watch high level softball, it is all strike outs and home runs.

The main difference in the games is that baseball slows down due to pitching changes and with runners on base. The difference in having to hold runners and "playing matchups" with pitching in baseball considerably slows down the game.

Strike outs do not bore me when pitching is elite.

There is nothing boring about a home run.

The myth that "the game moves faster" is strictly based on perspective because of the field size.

The 65 mph pitch in softball from 45 ft is the same reaction time as 90-92mph in baseball.

I don't understand how people consider baseball unwatchable if they have interest in softball.

Posted: Mar 18, 2019 1:26 PM

I would also ask you what parts of softball are more exciting?

Replies: 5  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Season Tickets
FOR SALE: Two for sale lower south sec:H row:II seats 13,15(about 18 yard line) about 10 steps below the porta...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
985 people have read this post