Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wofford's Young to Va Tech
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Wofford's Young to Va Tech

Apr 7, 2019, 6:18 PM

Just received a text.

Wish him the best and thanks for everything he did for us.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wofford's Young to Va Tech

Apr 7, 2019, 6:29 PM

Sorry for your loss.

Do you think Coach Bender or Steve Smith will be candidates there?

Maybe the Lipscomb HC?

Apr 7, 2019, 7:15 PM

Word around here earlier in the week was the athletic director already had a list of potential candidates. I don't think anyone around campus was surprised after The falling out between the athletic director and Mike Young over the past few weeks. It seemed a change was imminent and Young was headed somewhere else

The Wofford job will be a very attractive position for the right coach. The facilities are among the best in the entire country for a mid-major with a brand-new arena and access to the Carolina Panther facilities used here by the NFL team. No one at our level has anything close to the facilities offered by Wofford College today.

The cupboard is hardly bare at Wofford. We lost Fletcher and Cam but return nine players who saw meaningful time in the Southern Conference and NCAA tournament. We also redshirted two players Who under normal circumstances would have played and also return a third player who was injured most of the year but had started two seasons ago.

Wofford also had a very good recruiting class with one player who has been announced as the second coming of Fletcher but obviously still has to prove that fact.

I would imagine Wofford knows where they are going with this next hire. Wofford should be able to attract a quality coach based on the facilities available, the returning players and strong recent history with five championships in 10 years. He will have complete support from the administration who has proven they will do what is necessary to give the basketball and football teams the resources necessary to win at our level.

What was the falling out?***

Apr 7, 2019, 7:53 PM

Re: What was the falling out?***

Apr 7, 2019, 8:03 PM

I am not sure and hate to speculate but the rumor started before the Southern Conference tournament. I just find it hard to believe there was a rift between them after working together for over 30 years.

Whatever the problem was about; it will probably never be public knowledge or even acknowledged.

Young deserves to be paid as someone else mentioned and that is what this move is all about. He paid his dues at Wofford and none of us including me would've ever turned down a multimillion-dollar payday like he will receive in Blacksburg. I just don't know how good of a fit this will be or if I would want to compete at Virginia Tech against the rest of the ACC in basketball.

It's very difficult to see Virginia Tech continuing at the same level over the next few years. 2019 was the best season for Virginia Tech in over 50 years and now Robinson is graduating, Hill and Outlaw are both graduating, Bebe Is leaving /forced to leave/or whatever and none of the three committed players are ranked higher than 2 1/2 stars.

Virginia Tech loses its best player, Three starters, the number one reserve player And almost 40 points a game. I think it's fairly safe to say Virginia Tech won't be making the sweet 16 next year or finishing in the top four of the Atlantic Coast Conference

win or lose, he will get paid,he will always get work

Apr 7, 2019, 8:49 PM

somewhere if it doesn't work out

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When you said falling out the long term

Apr 7, 2019, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Re: What was the falling out?*** ]

relationship between him and Johnson was the first thing I thought of. How does that relationship sour in the midst of the best year in school history?

I think Young's a heck of a coach. If he can manage to recruit he'll win there. I'd have loved him here if we'd have cut ties with Brad. He has 10-15 years left. If he can recruit he can leave a foundation that VT has never had before, as he isnt going anywhere unless he's fired or retires

Not sure how much the contract is for but he was making less

Apr 7, 2019, 8:03 PM

than 200k at Wofford. VT's most recent MBB coach made over $3 mil/year.

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/03/wofford-head-coach-salary-mike-young/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 7, 2019, 8:53 PM

KA-CHING!! Strike while the iron is hot Coach Young.

Will one of his assistants get the job??***

Apr 7, 2019, 9:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic