Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is Chad Morris considered a "hot" prospect for some of
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Why is Chad Morris considered a "hot" prospect for some of

Nov 23, 2015, 10:29 AM

these upper level jobs right now?

I completely understand how and why he was able to land the SMU job based on his potential after being a top flight offensive coordinator.

BUT, now that he has a track record as a head coach ... what has he done in his present position to shout "Hey, I'm obviously ready to take over a bigger program!!" ???

Seriously ... what??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He recruited what could become Clemson's best player ever

Nov 23, 2015, 10:35 AM

DW could lead us to the promised land and slay
the giants!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Without a product to sell, even the best recruiters come up

Nov 23, 2015, 11:27 AM

empty.

When you're selling Clemson, anyone can go out there and get good players.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would Chad Morris even been at SMU if he weren't from TEXAS?

Nov 23, 2015, 12:25 PM [ in reply to He recruited what could become Clemson's best player ever ]

Based on his success at Clemson, he got noticed for the uptempo more than the actual successfullness of it. Sure, fun too watch, but very difficult on the players to master...that is the main reason our 2 co-ordinators have been so successful in that they weeded out a giant chunk of all the formations and stuck with the effective plays. Once THE CHAD gets SMU into the rankings, then maybe he starts getting a realistic look at a major program.

Re: Would Chad Morris even been at SMU if he weren't from TEXAS?

Nov 23, 2015, 12:38 PM

sorry to let you down coach but he is getting a very serious look at vpi. if you call that a major program.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I want all of clemson's old coaches to do well.

Nov 23, 2015, 10:38 AM

If he ends up being a great head coach, that gives us another coaching candidate if Dabo ever left. That's how you remain at the top. Keep top coaches and bring back the greats that left for advancement.

Unless you're the coots. Hire old and die there, or hire young and the coach uses Usuc as a stepping stone.

Liability Cola by CU_Tigers_time is now trending on Tnet.

It's amazing how many good coaches started under CDF***

Nov 23, 2015, 11:04 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me too! I want him to be great at SMU ... that's part of

Nov 23, 2015, 11:53 AM [ in reply to I want all of clemson's old coaches to do well. ]

the reason I asked the question.

So far, he has a long way to go before he makes SMU great.

As I've stated in previous posts, I'm not a big fan of coaches jumping ship after one year ... even one great year.

I'd love to see Chad prove himself to the school that gave him his first opportunity.

this is similar thinking to why hire a coach as OC that is

Nov 23, 2015, 10:43 AM

one year removed from high school.

it's about the individual and being the man at a program that everyone knows to be a 3+ year rebuild.

that one year might easily be viewed as good experience by someone that had theChad on a list of potential head coaching candidates in the last few years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is Chad Morris considered a "hot" prospect for some of

Nov 23, 2015, 10:46 AM

Good coach bad situation. He needs talent.

Same reason Tom Herman is a top prospect.

Nov 23, 2015, 11:00 AM

Potential is there.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Nov 23, 2015, 11:07 AM

Are you for real?? Sabin could go to SMU for one year and I bet he couldn't do any better. He is a great offensive mind I think he would be great at VT.

Nov 23, 2015, 11:10 AM

Examine SMU's 2014 scores and record vs. this year. Despite only two wins thus far Coach Morris has doubled the wins, has scored more points and had stronger defense. Given time to recruit he will be successful at SMU and based upon their status since the 1980s that is a big accomplishment.

So far, none of the replies answer the question ...

Nov 23, 2015, 11:18 AM

He took over a challenging situation at SMU and he's improved what was going on there.

Great ... bu, he still hasn't won many games. He may eventually turn SMU into a powerhouse, but there is absolutely no firm evidence that will happen.

So, the question remains ... why is he a "hot commodity" for a major HC job at this very moment?

I suppose we could use Gus Malzahn as a comparable situation, but he won 9 games at Arkansas St. before being given a chance at Auburn.

And, oops ... after a fast start there, Gus is not doing so well now.

Re: So far, none of the replies answer the question ...

Nov 23, 2015, 11:37 AM

To your point, probably as many "hot commodity" coaches fail as succeed. But, let's be honest, all of the "proven" talents already have good jobs and big buyouts and rarely move. There currently are more good openings than "proven" head coaches available. Morris is very similar to where Dabo was when Clemson hired him. Dabo was not "proven" but Terry Don "believed" he could do it. Was there not much debate both by Clemson fans and outsiders alike as to whether Dabo would be successful?

Morris has proven to be a good recruiter (both at Clemson and his short time at SMU), has incorporated many of the same successful concepts used by Dabo at Clemson and seems to have hired a good staff of coaches who enjoy recruiting. But, there are no guarantees. If you are the AD, you either "believe" he can do it and offer him the job or you go after the next guy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So far, none of the replies answer the question ...

Nov 23, 2015, 11:43 AM [ in reply to So far, none of the replies answer the question ... ]

You obviously lack reading comprehension, because most of the responses in this thread have answered your question....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

So help me out ... which one's specifically said anything

Nov 23, 2015, 11:49 AM

other than he has "potential"?

BTW, great hair! I loved your happy little trees.

Re: So help me out ... which one's specifically said anything

Nov 23, 2015, 11:58 AM

Is that not an answer?

I'll give you one. He's a proven commodity as an OC, he has a very good recruiting track record, and he has SMU playing decent ball this year. They may only have 2 wins, but they're playing much better ball than last year. So that's where the potential comes into play...

Same argument could be made for how Dabo got the Clemson job. They identified his potential and it worked out.

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

OK thanks ... that's a pretty good answer re: potential

Nov 23, 2015, 12:09 PM

Dabo was a huge gamble that paid off for Clemson. Absolutely nobody but Clemson would have given him the chance and he had to win the job by producing on the field as interim.

Chad Morris will be a great HC at a major school one day. I feel strongly about that. But, my question is why he has earned that sort of credit right now ... his one year shows promise, but is it enough to merit being a "hot commodity" right now ... ?

We'll see once the job offers begin going out and the hiring begins.

Re: OK thanks ... that's a pretty good answer re: potential

Nov 23, 2015, 12:15 PM

Another reason is that there are schools all over the country that wish they could emulate/be Clemson right now.

The Chad is a big reason we are where we are today and everyone knows that. He also has in house experience at Clemson that could prove vital in building his own program based on the successful implementation he was a part of while at Clemson.

That's an even stronger argument ... thanks!

Nov 23, 2015, 12:18 PM

It's going to be interesting to see how this works out after the season is over.

then you're not looking for answers because it's been

Nov 23, 2015, 12:01 PM [ in reply to So far, none of the replies answer the question ... ]

addressed.

he was a hot commodity before he took the smu job and he's done nothing but gain a year of valuable experience in the lead role.

if you had him on the list before he had a year experience as a head coach, why would you take him off the list now? smu is a 3+ plus year rebuild, everyone that is anyone knows that.

gus malzahn? yes, there are no guarantees, but they are not the same.

Not many actually had him on their "list" prior to SMU

Nov 23, 2015, 12:15 PM

He interviewed a lot, but got no offers.

This year, he's done a creditable job at SMU and I believe he'll turn them around if he stays long enough.

Chad Morris can be a great head football coach.

But, I don't think a year of incremental improvement at SMU demonstrates he's worthy of jumping into a much higher profile job.

Everyone agrees he has lots of potential. Why not wait until he realizes it fully before paying him mega bucks?

Lot's of jobs are going to be open in January. I guess we will see if CM actually gets lured away after one year on the job.

if he interviewed a lot, i'd say a lot had CM on their list

Nov 23, 2015, 12:33 PM

and you're only discussing open jobs. if you're worth your salt as a HC, you have a list of potential candidates to fill roles as coordinators or position coaches should the need arise.

athletic directors would be remiss in their roles not to do the same for future openings on their staff.

there's no questions theChad was a hot commododity and he's done nothing to tarnish his star save gain valuable experience.

you want to wait, that's up to you, but your question's been answered numerous times. you just might not like it.

Nov 23, 2015, 11:20 AM

SMU is not going to win a ton of games soon. Look at their offense though. Last year they were dead last in NCAA with 11.1 PPG and 2nd to last with 269 YPG. This year they are tied for 58th in PPG with 30.3 and 61st in YPG with 409.

They did not have an infusion of talent, it is all coaching. Their defense is still awful though. However, because of Chad they were competitive with Baylor and Temple. It may take another year or 2 and winning more games, but schools don't want to be the one who passed on him.

Dabos recruiting made Chad look better

Nov 23, 2015, 11:40 AM

Than he is. Our Co-Ocs are better than he is. I give him all the credit for installing the offense but hes not as good as people on here think. Give me Tajh/Nuke/Sammy/Ellington/Allen/etc. And theyed make me look like an offensive genuis as well.

Nov 23, 2015, 12:10 PM

Is he?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He seems to be ...

Nov 23, 2015, 12:16 PM

... at least in speculation by fans and media.

Nov 23, 2015, 12:42 PM

Chad has made SMU a lot better in one year... its just that they were SOOOOO bad last year, they improved a ton and its still not enough to go bowling. SMU is a 3 year rebuild. He definitely made a noticeable impressive improvement for year 1.

Nov 23, 2015, 12:54 PM

Half of college football is looking for new coaches so I guess a lot of people will get looks when they normally wouldn't....

Making conclusions after one year is kind of silly.

Nov 23, 2015, 1:00 PM

Either way whether he is ready to be a head coach or he hasn't proven it, after just one year it's way too early to make a decision. I would be surprised if he shows up on many list for some of the premium slots, but that would be true even if they won every game.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic