Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
With an 8 to 16 team playoff at this point in the season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1,763

With an 8 to 16 team playoff at this point in the season

Oct 24, 2013, 4:23 PM

the fans and teams would still have much more of an investment in the season....this current system takes the air out of the season with only one loss....discuss amongst yourselves....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

16 is too big IMO

Oct 24, 2013, 4:25 PM

8 is a reachable goal for almost every top25 team at this point so I could see that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

8 teams could work....at this point we'd only be one spot

Oct 24, 2013, 4:26 PM

out of the playoffs...much more to play for than we currently have.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

16?

Oct 24, 2013, 4:28 PM

Might as well be the NFL. I'd like to keep it at 4, personally.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

rather go to 8 over 4....keeps more teams in the game

Oct 24, 2013, 4:30 PM

for a much longer portion of the schedule.

16 has worked great in 1-AA for years ..

Oct 24, 2013, 4:37 PM [ in reply to 16? ]

of course now they have expanded it .. lol

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

8 seems easy to me

Oct 24, 2013, 4:49 PM [ in reply to 16? ]

Current "BCS" conference champs and undefeated other conference champs (if available) or best of the rest

I'm not sure that 8 isn't too big. Maybe I'm wrong.

Oct 24, 2013, 4:27 PM [ in reply to 16 is too big IMO ]

I guess I could go with 8 but no more. I'm not sure if anyone outside the top 4-5 would have a chance based on what I've seen so far this year. But, if Clemson was 9th, then OF COURSE I would want 16!

Go Tigers!!!

That's not what

Oct 24, 2013, 4:40 PM

she said ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: With an 8 to 16 team playoff at this point in the season

Oct 24, 2013, 4:38 PM

I agree. It does not allow one game to take you of the season (same way in the nil). It would also make the game a lot more competitive, because the top 15 teams will have chance to get in the big game (even with just 8 team system).

I think 16 is doable, and preferable, but I'd be

Oct 24, 2013, 4:41 PM

thrilled with 8.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Start with 4 with the intention of expanding to 8 then to 16***

Oct 24, 2013, 4:46 PM

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I personally would like to see it go to the top 10 one day.

Oct 24, 2013, 4:49 PM

If you're in the top 10 at the end of the season then you could have a solid chance to make a run. Let the bottom 4 teams start right after conference championships, while the top 6 have week to rest up... then a straight playoff until a champ is crowned.

If you are number 11, suck it up and try harder next year. Like most have said, it gives teams with one loss or even two an incentive to keep playing at a high level, and would give each conference a solid team in the playoffs in most cases.

You could still have your Emerald nuts bowls and the like for the also-rans, and you'd still be ending the season the first week in January like you should.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

With all of these SEC teams losing so many games, I would

Oct 24, 2013, 5:31 PM

think the pressure will build to include more teams in the playoffs. We could end this season with every SEC team but Alabama having 3 losses.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We'll move to a 16 team playoff within a few years.

Oct 24, 2013, 5:38 PM

Can you imagine the excitement and revenue that would create. That way, there is no way the best team is left out and teams getting into the title hunt because of bias will be minimized.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ultimately 12 is the magic number.

Oct 24, 2013, 6:37 PM

First, because the #12 itself is exceptionally cool on its own. But as far as college football is concerned, we would see the top 4 seeds get first round byes and each assigned a New Year's bowl game early as a first round host team. That's pretty fair I think for programs that put together that kind of a regular season - getting a head start on tickets and lodging, etc.

Then you take the Thursday, Friday and Saturday before Christmas Day and play the four host bowl games whittling down the field from contestants 5-12 to the four that advance to New Year's Day to take on the top 4. Four incredible football games over 1-2 days and nights, then semis 8-13 days later, then finally the final on the Saturday night prior to the NFL's conference finals.

That's four big-time games while holiday advertising is at its peak, a New Year's Day filled with 3 quarterfinals plus the following night's, Semis, and a Final.

Nirvana.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: With an 8 to 16 team playoff at this point in the season

Oct 24, 2013, 9:10 PM

16 teams would be perfect. That would guarantee that every conference champion, no matter how weak the conference is, would get an automatic berth. The remaining slots could be filled by the 2nd place teams from the stronger conferences or could be figured out using the polls. That would be awesome because even the lowliest of teams would know that all they have to do is win their conference, and they would at least get a shot at the national title. Probably never happens though because the powers that be want to limit their odds of being dethroned.

Agree 100%***

Oct 24, 2013, 9:22 PM

I think 4 is fine... We would still have a chance***

Oct 24, 2013, 9:54 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1,763
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic