Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
With all the recruiting drama dying down--IMAGINE THIS:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 2,282

With all the recruiting drama dying down--IMAGINE THIS:

Feb 13, 2013, 3:29 PM

Just 5 or 6 years ago, when Mr. Bowden was in charge of the troops, do you think that Clemson would even be considered among the majority of recruits that we signed this year or last? How about even acknowledged by guys like Nkemdiche, Lawson, Clowney, Gurley, North, or others of the same pedigree?

I certainly don't think so and with this said, I think that ALL of Clemson Nation should take a moment and salute Dabo & his staff for making Clemson relevant on the NATIONAL scene for everyone to take notice of & respect. The pressure is on to coach'em up & make them produce, but the talent is here & now is the time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: With all the recruiting drama dying down--IMAGINE THIS:

Feb 13, 2013, 3:40 PM

I do applaud Dabo and his great staff but does recruiting drama ever really die down? It just rolls from one year's prospects to the next.

Love Dabo, but didn't CJ and Davis get Tommy any love?***

Feb 13, 2013, 3:54 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They did but he couldn't consistently string together solid

Feb 13, 2013, 4:03 PM

Classes.

This is what makes a program a legit contender

Feb 13, 2013, 9:12 PM

Seems like BB can only get 2 or 3 solid players per team...if you could "blend" a 4 or 5 classes together, a nice team could be put on the floor with 5 good players & some bench support.

Bowden did consistently string together good classes...

Feb 13, 2013, 9:23 PM [ in reply to They did but he couldn't consistently string together solid ]

Bowden just wasn't a good game day coach, therefore we underachieved. Under Bowden after about 2002 we were in the 10 -25 range recruiting ranking wise. Under Dabo we are entering the 7-15 range. The problem with Bowden was definitely not recruiting, it was his game day coaching abilities. And by game day coaching, I mean everything involved in getting the team ready for Saturday.

Re: Bowden did consistently string together good classes...

Feb 14, 2013, 6:37 AM

RichRod left TB too soon.

That and the fact that his recruiting hit home runs in the

Feb 14, 2013, 6:52 AM [ in reply to Bowden did consistently string together good classes... ]

skill positions and bunted on the LOS. His philosophy was for smallish, athletic OL. The top-ranked DL weren't interested. But Tommy could bring in the skill!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

His last 3 classes were 15 to 20 but his previous had some

Feb 14, 2013, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Bowden did consistently string together good classes... ]

Very low rankings including several outside top 60. He was just starting to get on the rt track w recruiting as in yr after yr type consistency. Dabo has done that from the get go and is now set to have top 10 talent consistently. tommy definitely lacked the ability to have his team ready unless we were backed into a corner

CJ was definitely Dabo's recruit.***

Feb 13, 2013, 5:23 PM [ in reply to Love Dabo, but didn't CJ and Davis get Tommy any love?*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Tommy Bowden hadn't come here when he did, we would

Feb 13, 2013, 5:03 PM

still be trying to get the funding together to build new locker rooms right now and fighting for respect in the middle of the ACC.

Just say'n. He hired Dabo as a recruiter and was able to garner the support to get us back in the mindset that we can have good football at Clemson again.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Some credit should go to TDP, but TB was able to sell the

Feb 13, 2013, 5:05 PM

admin and alumni on getting the West Zone etc. done in order to be a player in college football. He's kind of the George W Bush of Clemson. Get's a lot of the blame for everything that's wrong and no credit for what's right.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

I agree. Tommy did wonderful things to get Clemson back on

Feb 14, 2013, 7:17 PM

the right track. We wouldn't be where we are today without him.

I would still like to see the WEZ named after him. We never would have gotten it without his efforts. And The Tommy Bowden Center would sound SO MUCH BETTER than "the WEZ"

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Bowden did everything perfectly except take us to the….

Feb 13, 2013, 9:29 PM [ in reply to If Tommy Bowden hadn't come here when he did, we would ]

next level once our talent level got better. Me, I have no type of animosity towards him. I'm glad what he did for our football program. He got better facilities built, got more fans to attend games, brought more talent in, his players stayed out of trouble for the most part, and while bringing in better talent the football team's gpa got better. Bowden foresaw the problems we would have if we didn't join in the facilities wars.

Although, we did keep him around too long when it was apparent he was never going to take us to the next level.

Plus, Bowden had a

Feb 14, 2013, 12:50 AM

good record against the dirt peckers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He got to coach against Lou Holtz!***

Feb 14, 2013, 7:39 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree totally, we would not be where we are now w/o TB

Feb 14, 2013, 10:51 AM [ in reply to Bowden did everything perfectly except take us to the…. ]

He got us started back on the right path. Dabo was not dealt a bad hand at all

With all due respect

Feb 14, 2013, 1:01 AM

I think Clemson was relevant before Dabo...We have won a national championship before, and Dabo was not in the picture, but Salute to Dabo.

Re: Agree, but Da'Quan Bowers was the #1 recruit.

Feb 14, 2013, 6:35 AM

Agree, but Da'Quan Bowers was the #1 recruit the year TB left.
Dabo has been able to get over the hump though. Spence was his downfall and TB kept him around too long. Spence's offense was too predictible over time.

TB didnt do harm...

Feb 14, 2013, 10:54 AM

..He just never could win the games we needed to win to appear solid on the big stage. During the 2000-2007 period he had some big wins (FSU/Tenn) and he OWNED the dirtpeckrs...but he lost to Wake and Duke and nobody around Clemson forgives those trespasses. He did jumpstart all thisfacilities upgrade ...and our annual clash with dadgum daddy from Tally was always good tv. I liked that dude...just like Dabo a little bit more. Tommy is also responsible for us finding Dabo....good job TB!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: A little dose of revisionist history....

Feb 14, 2013, 6:47 PM

the overblown recruiting hoopla was just as big under Bowden.

How anyone can forget the 3 or 4 Heisman Trophies which Clemson was going to win with the Roscoe Crosby WR class followed by the Willie Korn signing.

Seriously there were T-netter dreaming that Clemson was going to win 2 or 3 Heisman Trophies in a 5 year stretch.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, we heard the same thing re Derek Watson

Feb 14, 2013, 7:45 PM

and Demetris Summers.

Replies: 21
| visibility 2,282
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic