Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
With all the $$ being thrown around, has anyone thought
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 559

With all the $$ being thrown around, has anyone thought

Dec 21, 2012, 9:38 AM

we might have a sport bubble on the horizon. I can see athletic departments collecting huge sums of money and ramping up spending (if you have it, you've got to spend it)over the next decade. The whole house of cards collapses. Advertising dollars can't support the outlandish amount of money the 4 letter network is throwing out there. Conference networks turn out to be a bust (who wants to watch big 10 volleyball games?). Saturation sets in with too much exposure....

thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Women volleyball players are pretty hawt. Don't hate!

Dec 21, 2012, 9:49 AM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Re: With all the $$ being thrown around, has anyone thought

Dec 21, 2012, 9:53 AM

I think we are about to see the sports networks head that situation off before it gets started. We have already seen ESPN back off of the estimated figures people have been throwing around and I think that will continue. I don't expect the new SEC deal to be as much as the crazy numbers people are throwing around.

null

Dec 21, 2012, 10:09 AM

to invest in mimeograph machines???? All the power companies will go into default because of excessive regulation, and the only way to print more Obama Bucks is to literaly crank them out by hand.

Need to get health insurance on your elbows and shoulders....

### are you talking about.***

Dec 21, 2012, 10:10 AM

Dec 21, 2012, 9:57 AM

You may be on to something here. It seems that the money is growing so fast that something will have to falter eventually.

I wonder if the collapse could be triggered by a network signing an tv contract with a conference and then the conference changes drastically through expansion/attrition and the network is no longer able to secure the ad dollars they had hoped for?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2012, 10:01 AM

I couldn't agree more and here are my thoughts:

A)This bubble reminds me of the 99' dot-com crash and then 06-06 housing crash. I watched the 60 minutes special on college football that profiled Alabama and Michigan, they said that only around 20 Div 1 programs are making money right now. That's with all the extra conference money!

B) The rates of increase are on an unsustainable level and AD's are making decisions based upon the assumption the money will keep going up. Just like speculators in the dot-com and housing bubble.

C) All this money is being supplied by TV contracts. How many people are paying their TV bill, but not watching ESPN. But, ESPN gets how much per subscriber, watch it or not? You start having a large amount of people drop their cable for Hulu, Netfilx and Roku....ESPN will be in trouble!!! I am looking to reduce my Direct TV right now, but the problem is ESPN. You have to get the highest package w/o movie channels to get ESPNU. How many games this past year were on ESPNU? Ball State....Furman...all the non-conference. You show me how to stream all the Clemson games on ESPN3 and I will drop my cable tomorrow!

D) We can be thankful that Clemson has IPTAY and a large base of fans. When the bubble does POP, and it will, we are in a good position to benefit. Low debt to income...etc

Replies: 6
| visibility 559
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic