Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wish my dad & others could have seen the Tigers now
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,497

Wish my dad & others could have seen the Tigers now

Aug 28, 2019, 1:43 AM

My dad was going to Clemson football games well before he was 20 - more like before he was 15. When he entered Clemson in '41, he saw the games just before WWII. Eventually HE was called up for service overseas & fortunately made it back to finish Clemson & attend more games. Just 3 years after graduating, he got an offer to teach at Clemson, where he taught, earned other degrees & stayed until retiring in '85. He & my mom always went to the games - AND the bowls - & when the kids came along, we went too.

My mom was alive to witness the National Championship in '81 - but not my older brother. He died that year in an accident before football season. We still attended the games through the '80s, then my mom died fairly young in '87. Dad missed that year's games, but was back attending by '88. He (and we kids) continued going with him until the early 2000s, until it became a bit much for him. He passed in 2010, so he never got to see the success of the last 8 years or so. He would have loved it for sure - an orange-blooded Clemson man "all in" for some 70+ years. My mom & brother too. I'm sorry those folks missed all the recent good times. Makes me & my remaining brothers appreciate this "lofty perch" even more.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wish my dad & others could have seen the Tigers now

Aug 28, 2019, 5:23 AM

Indeed, the perspective of age makes these glory days far more astounding!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 28, 2019, 5:46 AM

My mom also passed in 1987 . She was my inspiration to become a Clemson fan in the mid 70s as a young boy .
The rest of the family are either indifferent ( sister ) or are Coots .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I’m with y’all . . .

Aug 28, 2019, 6:43 AM

Mom was also indifferent, passing in 2008 . . . Dad and my Sis passed within 5 months of each other in 2013 . . .

What I would give for both to have seen our recent Tigers’ play?!!!

Dad began taking me to see our Tigers play when I was just 4 years old . . . and Sis (age 7 @ the time) would take care of me as we played on the hill . . . Those two are responsible for my love of everything Clemson!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Today’s Tiger fans living in blessed times. Stay humble.***

Aug 28, 2019, 7:20 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 28, 2019, 8:27 AM

Great family story - what history! I know your family is watching from above while they live on through you!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Yes, I've thought many times that I wish my granddaddy who

Aug 28, 2019, 8:31 AM

took me to my first Clemson game could see what Dabo his built now.

Enjoy these times youngsters. Unfortunately, it won't last forever.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes, I've thought many times that I wish my granddaddy who

Aug 28, 2019, 8:36 AM

yep it is amazing. it has been better than I would have ever dreamed years ago.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,497
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic