Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Willie Taggart has had it with "selfish penalties"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Willie Taggart has had it with "selfish penalties"

Sep 18, 2019, 10:48 PM

So what will be do? Well.....who knows. Probably not much. I'm basing that on his past record for handling/correcting problems.

As one former player/analyst for ESPN (not an FSU guy) said, "I just want to see Taggart go off! Just explode & throw a fit. Go nuts and show ANY emotion at all. Instead he acts like a statue no matter what happens. He just keeps saying things will get better - and this team will not give up."

Penalties can and do kill teams. FSU in '19 is averaging 8.7 penalties per game. That's 116th out of 130 FBS teams.

In 15 games under Willie, the average is 9.1 for 72.5 YPG. In 2018 FSU had 110 penalties - the most by FSU since 2005 (114).

In last week's UVA game - 5 penalties in the 1st QRT - then none - then 5 penalties in the final 10 min & THREE of those were personal fouls. "SELFISH PENALTIES." And they lost in no small part because of that.

In last year's beatdown by CU - a player ejected for targeting & 2 more ejected for throwing a punch. That is ZERO discipline from an emotionless, rudderless coach who cannot lead.

The solution: You draw a personal foul - you're off the team. Scholarship is gone. Willie needs to watch "Patton."
He probably would go to sleep, though.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He doesn't have to go to the extreme of throwing people

Sep 19, 2019, 6:55 AM

off the team for personal fouls. The old punishment of running the stadium steps with a coach watching until you puke, can still be very effective in the modern world, if used.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He doesn't have to go to the extreme of throwing people

Sep 19, 2019, 5:54 PM

The only thing about that - - if you run a kid and he dies - your coaching career is toast and you're probably headed to prison - or you'll be sued in civil court for wrongful death (or abuse) & lose everything.

Just saying - if you kick a guy off the team it's fairly low liability & MIGHT wake the others up. But a coach can't simply do zero. If he does nothing, he's not fit to coach.

Re: Willie Taggart has had it with "selfish penalties"

Sep 19, 2019, 6:59 AM

I think his problems go way beyond just too many penalties.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Too little too late.

Sep 19, 2019, 7:35 AM

Should have nipped that in the bud last season.

Admittedly I don't see every interview of Taggert's

Sep 19, 2019, 7:51 AM

But the ones I have seen he is laying blame on everyone but himself. Honestly I wouldn't want my kid to play for that type of coach.

His lack of success is a surprise. But, in retrospect,

Sep 19, 2019, 8:59 AM

shouldn't the fact that he only went 7-5 in his one year with Oregon, given their normal high flying offensive success, have been a warning sign?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: His lack of success is a surprise. But, in retrospect,

Sep 19, 2019, 10:48 AM

Aside from how I feel about Taggart jumping ship after just one season, I must admit he turned the program in the right direction.

Mark Helfrich, who should never be a head coach again, left the program in complete shambles, a pile of rubble. His last year, Ducks would have lost their final 10 games if it weren't for Justin Herbert. Players didn't care any more. It was disgusting.

This is why I'm surprised Taggart hasn't been able to change the culture at FSU. He seems so soft and mushy now.

Re: His lack of success is a surprise. But, in retrospect,

Sep 19, 2019, 6:00 PM [ in reply to His lack of success is a surprise. But, in retrospect, ]

I was thinking the same thing - but have to admit I really don't know the whole story on Oregon & Taggart's time there or before he arrived there.

Kicking guys off the team for a personal foul is only a little extreme

Sep 19, 2019, 9:24 AM

But he doesn’t even pull them out of the game. It’s obviously not working but I think it’s more indicative of larger problems with culture there and it seems pretty clear it’s not going to work out.

My take on it.

Sep 19, 2019, 10:14 AM

Nole fans knew that Jimbo, once he checked out from FSU, shortly after losing the opening game to Bama, discipline went out the door. (Jimbo was very lax with discipline off the field, but was a disciplinarian on the field....until he checked out and knew he was headed to aTm.)

Willie came in last year and talked about "changing the culture." He talked about lack of discipline off and on the field. He spent all off season talking about how it had changed, how the kids understood what was expected of them and had bought in.

The first game of the season it appeared he might be right. Stupid penalties (lining up wrong, jumping off sides, personal fouls, etc.) were way down.

But, the last two games seems like "same old same old."

My comment to Willie, if I were able to talk to him would be simple. "Talk is cheap. It's time to walk the walk."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Post game pressers...

Sep 19, 2019, 11:35 AM

just watch Taggert’s post game press conferences from the three games this year. If that doesn't scare you as an FSU fan, nothing will. Vapid. “Hello, is anybody home???”

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Post game pressers...

Sep 19, 2019, 6:15 PM

Agree CaryTig. Whether pressers or on the sideline - it seems Willie has checked out. Looks & sounds like a defeated guy.

Sep 19, 2019, 8:46 PM

In all fairness, Willie has greatly improved the discipline of the team.

Ya'll know he's rich either way right?***

Sep 19, 2019, 8:48 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ya'll know he's rich either way right?***

Sep 19, 2019, 9:08 PM

I heard a while back that Willie signed his contract at the Atlanta Airport without even going to FSU. I believe I would want to go and check everyone and everything out before being hired.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2019, 9:14 PM

I think Willie just needs to locate the door to the transfer portal and step through it.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic