Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why do people have to go so far to extremes?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 77
| visibility 1

Why do people have to go so far to extremes?

Jun 22, 2015, 12:15 PM

I'm sure you've heard of the black lives "mater" that was sprayed on a statue in Charleston. A statue I didn't know existed until it got painted on. I'm also seeing articles calling anybody who flies a confederate flag is not only racist, but also a terrorist and guilty of treason.

Now I am no historian, but I feel like people who toss in the reason thing really don't know how the government worked back then.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The vocal minority...***

Jun 22, 2015, 12:17 PM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, and crazy and loud go together most of the time.

Jun 22, 2015, 12:26 PM

I'm torn because I really don't want to take action because an often idiotic group such at the NAACP says to but I am also not going to side with the skin heads on an issue.

As for what John Stewart said...if anybody drives past that flag and thinks most of the state hates you without knowing you...you should ####### move.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have always been ambivalent towards the flag.

Jun 22, 2015, 12:31 PM

But I now feel a really strong resolve to just get rid of the ####### thing more to save the embarassment of our state than anything. I LOVE the state of South Carolina and am really proud to be from here, but it is a scar on our state and needs to be dealt with. To most, it is a symbol of racism and hatred. That cannot represent our state. For the most part, our state is not full of racists, but from the outside it appears that way because of that #### flag. Just get rid of the #### thing, History or not.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with you, too much downside keeping it

Jun 22, 2015, 12:34 PM

on the pole in cootlumbia.

More important to get the ACC tourney back in Gvegas.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have always been ambivalent towards the flag.

Jun 22, 2015, 12:36 PM [ in reply to I have always been ambivalent towards the flag. ]

Don't you think they'll find some other reason to make themselves feel righteous by projecting crap onto southern states? Just sort of feels a little like those with no connection to the history of the south are being sore winners.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Possibly so. But that flag alienates southerners and the

Jun 22, 2015, 12:40 PM

ones that were not lucky enough to be born in the south. Our state stands out from the pack due to our refusal to remove the flag.

I agree. Now, I have never been to another

Jun 22, 2015, 12:37 PM [ in reply to I have always been ambivalent towards the flag. ]

country that has had a Civil War, but I would be shocked if any of the losing sides any memorials. I will not advocate changing the names of streets and buildings, unless for profit. But the flag can come down now.

My guess is stuff like that is all over Europe

Jun 22, 2015, 12:48 PM

Maybe the difference here is that it's very rare for the same government to have existed for nearly 300 years, so our historical narrative feels a little simpler. In places like England, earlier civil wars were sedimented over by more recent coups, and revolutions have happened since then that buried the first wars under other layers. I'm sure there was always the winning sides were always tempted to lord it over the losers, but I'm also sure that the losers never entirely forgot their own heroes.

Anyway, I think the actually-united-USA policy after the civil war was to try to allow southerners to retain some of their dignity and independence in order to ensure that they'd be quickly and permanently brought back into the union. A scorched Earth reconstruction might have caused a lot more resistance and caused more- and longer lasting- resentment.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

William Wallace disagrees!!!!***

Jun 22, 2015, 3:57 PM [ in reply to I agree. Now, I have never been to another ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very vocal.

Jun 22, 2015, 3:16 PM [ in reply to The vocal minority...*** ]

Actually, the screaming minority.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a Clemson themed Confederate flag sticker

Jun 22, 2015, 12:18 PM

on my lawn mower, what category does that put me in?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you're obviously trailer trash arian.

Jun 22, 2015, 12:20 PM

or something

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IT'S A MANUFACTURED HOME NOT A TRAILER***

Jun 22, 2015, 12:25 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: IT'S A MANUFACTURED HOME NOT A TRAILER***

Jun 22, 2015, 12:30 PM

Racist that cuts his own grass.....Juan needs work too***

Jun 22, 2015, 12:23 PM [ in reply to I have a Clemson themed Confederate flag sticker ]

Juan needs to get back to me with a gotdam quote then

Jun 22, 2015, 12:33 PM

Landscaping business must be good right now, cause it takes 3-4 weeks just to hear back from them.

dont you know strawmen are the most assaulted race

Jun 22, 2015, 12:20 PM

after any newsworthy event

can't let a good crisis go to waste......***

Jun 22, 2015, 12:21 PM

I was at a party Saturday night with mostly black people...

Jun 22, 2015, 12:25 PM

and almost everybody was from the north. I forget who brought it up, but we started talking about the shooting in Charleston, and for some reason somebody brought up the Confederate flag. Of course, 2 sheets to the wind me thinks it's a good idea to take up for the Lost Cause. As you might imagine, most of the people there were not in agreement.

If I had the means and know how to conduct, but I'd

like to see survey results to get reactions to the flag in different context. I imagine your parties are full of people who fancy themselves intellectuals, so the flag my always be close to their conscious. I feel like your average Joe doesn't think much of anything when I see it.

When I see it on a car, I just get on high alert because I assume the driver is going to do something aggressive, risky, or dumb.

That definitely happened.***

Jun 22, 2015, 12:30 PM [ in reply to I was at a party Saturday night with mostly black people... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably fair to say, if the naacp and black

Jun 22, 2015, 12:36 PM [ in reply to I was at a party Saturday night with mostly black people... ]

panthers, new and old, etc were disbanded along with tossing minority hiring quotes, then many folks that support the confederate flag would not but opposed to taking it down and putting on display in a museum.

But as long as activist play a leading roll, then some folks will not want to budge.

I still say that if all the dust up in the 90s had

Jun 22, 2015, 12:40 PM

been done behind closed doors, had somebody just "forgot" to run the flag up the pole for a week or so, most would have forgotten about it.

Nope, some #### body tried to tell us what to do and were right rude about it. Does not fly in SC.

Message was edited by: aerozeptallica®

Re: I still say that if all the dust up in the 90s had

Jun 22, 2015, 12:42 PM

Agree

Re: I still say that if all the dust up in the 90s had

Jun 22, 2015, 12:47 PM [ in reply to I still say that if all the dust up in the 90s had ]

yep. Too proud to let somebody, much less NAACP, to tell us what to do....so here's your monument and here's the flag coming down.....and replaced with a slightly different one of the same likeness a little closer to the street so you can see it REAL good.

20 years ago, I was all about keeping that flag up. Now that I'm a little more "seasoned", I still appreciate the history, but the way and when the flag went up is hard to defend. It's not like we had it flying there since the "Bobby Lee's" surrender.

What?***

Jun 22, 2015, 12:27 PM

#ACCFTS

That is exactly what I though when I read it.***

the thought police is a real thing now.

Jun 22, 2015, 12:28 PM

they can read minds and judge everything about you instantly.

and they are NEVER WRONG.....just ask them.

I have a battle flag in my room

Jun 22, 2015, 1:35 PM

Should I be worried?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Yes, but not about that.***

Jun 22, 2015, 1:37 PM

Re: I have a battle flag in my room

Jun 22, 2015, 1:37 PM [ in reply to I have a battle flag in my room ]

I have one of the ones flown on the state house. A democrat rep got it for me too! (gasp!) I wish I'd have gotten an American and SC flag when I had the chance. They are nice.

I am done trying to defend it to people who ask about it

Jun 22, 2015, 1:44 PM

Red's cousin came over to my apartment once and saw it and got pretty offended (although white). I just looked away and didn't even care to explain anything to her.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People like that just want something to be offended about

Jun 22, 2015, 1:51 PM

99% of the time they're more prejudice than you ever thought about being.

If you ever get wind of an easily offended person coming

Jun 22, 2015, 2:03 PM [ in reply to I am done trying to defend it to people who ask about it ]

over, you should make yourself look like a skin head, for ##### and giggles.

No, not at all, but why? Just curious...***

Jun 22, 2015, 1:45 PM [ in reply to I have a battle flag in my room ]

I am a pretty big time Civil War buff

Jun 22, 2015, 1:53 PM

Have read dozens of books since I was old enough to read about the topic along with visiting many battlefields and points of interest during the Civil War. I have flags from both sides (but mainly the Confederacy). Above the flag in my room, I have knock off paintings of Mort Kunstler of both North and South scenes.

Being a KA, we recognize RE Lee as our spiritual founder. He fought for that flag and is easily one of the greatest gentleman to ever live. I have the flag to remind myself of that along with reminding myself daily of what a sacrifice people have gone through for a belief they have. I am one of those that firmly believe the flag did not represent the mistreatment of African Americans, but know that African Americans were mistreated under the flag. They were also mistreated under the flag of the United States of America, but most tend to ignore that.

and you're young proud and not married yet for your wife to

Jun 22, 2015, 2:00 PM

tell you to get that #### down and replace it with a pic of your puppy.

For a long time I had mine folded on a corner shelf. Then kids. Can't have anything out worth anything.

Red doesn't dislike it or have any problems

Jun 22, 2015, 2:01 PM

I doubt I will have it on display once I move here in a few weeks, but if I ever get an office at a home we live in, I will get a full size replica of the battle flag to frame. I don't see Red having an issue with this.

and she shouldn't

Jun 22, 2015, 6:54 PM

It's your room

and it matches her hair.

I like the memorial where it is, I don't care that some

Jun 22, 2015, 1:38 PM

scum associates some wacko things that they believe with the flag, it's not what the cause stood for and it shouldn't be ridiculed for some moron using it as such.

I see it as something of bravery and honor, a memorial to brave men who fought and died for a cause they believed in. And as something that honors my ancestors who sacrificed for their state.

I had a close relative that served as a company commander in the 13th SC Regiment, and was wounded at Fredericksburg. And as such it represents an acknowledgement and respect for his pain and service.

This is just an excuse from some the vocal PC pushers to impose their will on something they shouldn't have a say over.

Message was edited by: CUtiger2012®

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

and I agree with this too.

Jun 22, 2015, 1:43 PM

Still hard to defend the timing of when it went up and why though. Other than that, I'm with ya. From these vocal PC groups, what should "we" expect next? They've already gone after changing street names, small town monuments, etc. It's ridiculous. It's history....and we're all here because of it, including "them".

It's the same old thing PC libs do, push and push and push

Jun 22, 2015, 1:51 PM

it was taken down from the State house as a compromise, which is fine. But did that stop it? Nope. They started going after it again immediately, showing their true character IMO.

In my own humble opinion, the only people that should have any sort of say in this matter are people that had relatives/ancestors that served SC in the civil war, people that were born here/have lived here for X number of years.

Honestly I don't care one bit what some stupid talking head up in NYC thinks about this issue

Re: It's the same old thing PC libs do, push and push and push

Jun 22, 2015, 1:52 PM

I say put it on the ballot and be done with it.

I'm not there anymore, so what do I know.

What about decendants of slaves? Should they get a say?

Jun 22, 2015, 1:55 PM [ in reply to It's the same old thing PC libs do, push and push and push ]

What about decendants of residents of SC who were against slave ownership?

Whether you like it or not, the flag represents racism, division, and slavery to MANY people. You cannot discredit them just because their great grandfather didn't fight in the war. This is a close-minded approach.

So if we pull teh flag down, can we get rid of the

Jun 22, 2015, 2:00 PM

African American monument that was put up at the same time the flag was moved?

OH HAYELL NAW!!!!!

Jun 22, 2015, 2:01 PM

they probably don't even know it's there!

Is it a symbol that represents mis-treatment of humans and

Jun 22, 2015, 2:01 PM [ in reply to So if we pull teh flag down, can we get rid of the ]

degrades them? If so, then yes...but you and I both know that it isn't.

Neither does the other, in fact, anymore than the flag on

Jun 22, 2015, 2:03 PM

top of the dome. Does that monument offend anyone is the better question.

The intention of the flag may not be that, but it has come

Jun 22, 2015, 2:07 PM

to represent that. This is the GIANT hangup that both sides cannot see.

The monument is just that, a monument. We just put one up in Rock Hill this weekend to mark the old African American Business District near downtown. Other than spending taxpayer dollars, I've got no problem with it and 99.99999% of the people would probably feel the same.

My thing is

Jun 22, 2015, 2:10 PM

When an African American sees a Confederate flag... is their legitimate first emotion "wow, that offends me to no end" or is it just in times where race is an issue where they want to rush to taking it down?

I'm not sure if there is anything in this world that offends me right off the bat, unless maybe its mistreatment of a living thing (or Red turns me down in bed), especially dogs. Maybe I just have better things to do than get offended easily.

From Ben Watson's facebook page:

Jun 22, 2015, 2:14 PM

It's hard to explain how I feel when I see the rebel flag. The emotional bucket overflows with anger, trepidation, sorrow, a perverted pride and apathy. As hard as I try not to make assumptions about whoever is flying the flag or driving around with it mounted on their truck, my mind can not hold back the painful images of the past generations.... and the current one. The nine racially motivated murders of last week, have written a new chapter in the annals of race violence in this country. And at the center of it all, proudly displayed in images of the killer, the rebel flag.

When I moved to South Carolina in 1996, albeit from the southern state of Virginia, I was somewhat taken aback by the frequency of which I saw the flag. It was on vehicles, displayed on homes, and worn on t-shirts. Like grits and sweet tea, the flag was just part of the culture, an enduring symbol of all things southern. This never changed how I felt about it, but it did teach me to give individuals a certain amount of grace and realize that not everyone who embraced the flag embraced prejudice and supremacy alike.

I can remember visiting a teammate's home for the first time my sophomore year. Frank, a white offensive guard on my high school football team, had quickly become my closest friend, welcoming me, the new guy, when others weren’t so quick to do so. As I walked into his room, I froze, staring uncomfortably at the large Rebel flag, hanging above his bed. I remember the lump in my throat as I briefly attempted to convey in the most non-condemning way, what the flag represented to me and many others like me. Because of the lingering heaviness of the moment, I can’t recall much after that but I do remember how valued I felt, when I returned to Frank’s home some time later and the flag was gone! He didn’t have to, but because he cared about our friendship, because he cared about me, he empathetically removed the offensive banner on my behalf and maybe for the first time heard how painful that symbol could be. That day was a turning point in our relationship and today; Frank continues to be one of my best friends.

It should not take the brutal, senseless killings of innocent black Americans in a church by a young white man, to ensure the removal of the confederate battle flag from the State House grounds where it has flown in proud defiance of the civil rights movement since the 1960’s. If the flag wasn’t problematic before this heinous crime it should not be problematic now, and to hastily remove it in response to this slaughter, although a sympathetic (and economic) gesture, does not address the heart of the matter. In my estimation it is indeed the HEART, that is the matter. Displaying the confederate flag is not inherently wrong. This is not NECESSARILY an issue on which we can take a moral stance. It is not a simple right or wrong dilemma. I understand that for some, the confederate battle flag does not evoke sentiments of racism or supremacy; it is simply a tribute to their heritage, ancestors, and homeland. For others, including the killer, it means much more and for others it is a hiding place for passive racism and group "identity." It is without a doubt, however, a litmus test, exposing our willingness to deny our liberty, our freedom, to fly the flag of our choice, for the sake of offending our countrymen whose SHARED HERITAGE is conversely stained with death, injustice, rape, terror and inferiority.

If we remove the Confederate flag from the State Capitol for any reason other than a change in the hearts of South Carolinians, we may as well leave it be. This is not the time for political statements and worrying about national perception. But if we, like my friend Frank, finally listen to the cries and concerns of those we say we care about, soften our hearts, and choose to lay our liberties aside to assuage the pain of our brothers, the only suitable option would be a unanimous decision to remove the flag from the public grounds at the Palmetto State Capitol. The past and it's people, as acclaimed or afflicted as they may be, should always be remembered. But it is difficult to completely "move forward" if painful, divisive icons continue to stand unchallenged.

Sometimes, tragedies have a way of jolting us, laying the truth about us individually and collectively, stark naked for all to see. The outpouring for Charleston has been nothing short of extraordinary and inspiring. Sometimes it takes one person, one neighborhood, one city, and one state to show the unifying love of Christ to the world. As a canyon is carved by the flow of a river long dried up, may the passion of this week cut deep, leaving a permanent change in hearts and souls long after the emotion has gone.

I did not know who he was.

Jun 22, 2015, 2:23 PM

But thanks for sharing an exact response to my question.

Played football at Northwestern High, Duke, Georgia, NFL

Jun 22, 2015, 2:25 PM

all around AWESOME person. He is a true role model for all young men.

TL;DR

Jun 22, 2015, 3:37 PM

should I read or was that some sarcastic cut and paste? Ok, I'll save for later.

Yet the same people are making the argument that

Jun 22, 2015, 2:30 PM [ in reply to The intention of the flag may not be that, but it has come ]

confederate monuments should be demolished.

GO TIGERS!!

It won't end with the flag.

Jun 22, 2015, 3:54 PM

It won't end with renaming streets, or buildings (like Tillman Hall), or even destroying building and areas (like parts of downtown CHS).

SC will always be classified as being racist due to it's history, and we can't destroy that--no matter how hard we try.

Are we actually trying though?***

Jun 22, 2015, 3:55 PM

any of that will just be pandering

Jun 22, 2015, 3:59 PM

It'll never stop.

To change the name of Tillman Hall?

Jun 22, 2015, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Are we actually trying though?*** ]

I seem to remember that coming up not too long ago. Think it would end there?

No, it'll always be something

Jun 22, 2015, 4:03 PM

And part of it is perpetuated by people coming down here with an axe to grind and a preconceived notion about southerners and South Carolinians, then trying to make it stick. Most of these same people live far more segregated lives than we do, but it makes them feel good to rail against some sort of injustice in the backwards south.

People are going to hold onto this for hundreds of years

Jun 22, 2015, 4:02 PM [ in reply to Are we actually trying though?*** ]

though. African Americans and their history in the younger years of our country and now Southern Caucasians with the flag. You are never going to get people to let go of their beliefs.

If you don't take the flag down, people will be mad. If you take it down, people will be mad. If you change the names of buildings or roads, people are going to think its burying their heritage, but others will see roads and buildings as "holding back their heritage".

There will never be an all encompassing decision that will make everyone happy. These days, the minority (race, sexual orientation, whatever it may be) will always have the upper hand in getting what they want over time because our society is so inclusive these days and people are so offended.

Just because I have a Confederate Flag on display doesn't mean I can relate in any single way to someone that displays the same flag and dons a cape.

I wouldn't put one in my yard.

Jun 22, 2015, 4:07 PM

I don't even own one. I don't care really if it stays or goes. Many, mostly those in the north, are going to think the south is filled with backwoods racist hicks regardless if there is a confederate flag on the statehouse grounds. "They FINALLY pulled that racist flag down in 2015! It took 55 years to do it!"

But if it comes down, so should all of the other stuff that went up when it did.

No, it was put there as an appeasement to those who

Jun 22, 2015, 3:57 PM [ in reply to Is it a symbol that represents mis-treatment of humans and ]

didn't want the flag on the statehouse grounds. Quid pro quo, so to speak.

Where do the memorials end? There were a large amount of Irish Americans that helped settle CHS and surrounding areas..where is their statehouse monument? How about war monuments? Where are the Iraq war veterans monument? or how about an Islamic or Jewish monument, for whatever plights they have suffered?

IMO, take ALL the statehouse monuments down. The statehouse is a monument to EVERYONE in SC. Let it be that, alone.

Methinks the first two things would be incredibly

Jun 22, 2015, 2:05 PM [ in reply to What about decendants of slaves? Should they get a say? ]

difficult to prove, but you're missing the point about how this should be a state decision and not be bullied into one on a national scale.

Whether you like it or not, the flag represents honor, freedom, heritage, and sacrifice to MANY people. You cannot discredit them just because their ancestors fought for something that has been twisted to fit a moral high ground by the side that won so they can exercise control over how history is perceived and judged. This is a close-minded approach

Message was edited by: CUtiger2012®

That isn't leaving it up to the state, that is leaving it up

Jun 22, 2015, 2:12 PM

to a small group within the state and silencing other voices.

It also stood for the exact opposite of

Jun 22, 2015, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Methinks the first two things would be incredibly ]

Freedom. Yes, the Civil War was about states rights, but the biggest right the states wanted was to make one particular type of person work for them while being held captive.

It also annoys me when anybody acts like the American South is the only and last place to have slaves.

The slave trade was also outlawed in the Confederate

Jun 22, 2015, 2:20 PM

Constitution, and would have gradually been phrased out and abolished, just like every other country in the Western hemisphere at the time.

What is also ignored nowadays are the numerous blacks that served in the Confederacy during the war for different reasons

And what you guys describe is the INTENT of the flag or

Jun 22, 2015, 2:22 PM

what is is SUPPOSED to represent. Whether you like it or not, it has come to represent so much more, alot of which is hatred towards any non-whites. That makes it a symbol for racism which should not be so prominent in our state.

Then shouldn't we educate people on what it stood for

Jun 22, 2015, 2:30 PM

both the good and bad aspects of the time period, and not cave in to small disgusting factions that have twisted it into something to their own evil mind set?

LOL, educate people. Do you think any of the groups

Jun 22, 2015, 2:31 PM

blinded by hate really care to learn?

"small disgusting factions that have twisted it into

Jun 22, 2015, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Then shouldn't we educate people on what it stood for ]

something to their own evil mind set?"

I don't think you get it nor will you ever get it.

That group is a majority, not a minority.
Disgusting? Evil?

I think I might just step out of this conversation. It gets NOWHERE.

It does not. Just like taking the flag down will not do

Jun 22, 2015, 2:53 PM

anything. When it does nothing, they will go after something else. Relations will simply degrade further until nobody can get along. I really think most of the true race hate falls in a particular socioeconomic demographic.

Agreed, we clearly have differing mindsets***

Jun 22, 2015, 2:54 PM [ in reply to "small disgusting factions that have twisted it into ]

How long until we have to change our state flag?

Jun 22, 2015, 4:03 PM [ in reply to And what you guys describe is the INTENT of the flag or ]

It was once used in the Civil war as well.

Or the flags of

Jun 22, 2015, 4:16 PM

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina or Tennessee? All of those flags have ties to the Confederate South.

Those offended don't know that yet, but when they figure it out, just wait.

And one other thought about this.

Jun 22, 2015, 2:06 PM

Probably should be in P&R but I don't like it over there.

Does it seem to anybody else that having a black president has made race relations worse?

yes***

Jun 22, 2015, 3:37 PM

Replies: 77
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic