Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Will NC State really offer Morris enough money to leave
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,936

Will NC State really offer Morris enough money to leave

Nov 28, 2012, 11:53 PM

Clemson? Just looking at salaries, Morris makes $1.3 million a season here at Clemson, and he has a very secure job here. He also knows, with the players he has coming back, his offense should be just as good next season, and more jobs will be available next season.

NC State only paid Tom O'Brien $1.9 million. Is NC State really going to be willing to pay Morris, an offensive coordinator, only 3 years removed from high school football, more than they paid O'Brien. I could see them throwing 2+ million on a proven head coach like Franklin from Vanderbilt or even Dykes from LA Tech (who makes $760,000 a season). Even Darrell Hazell, the head coach of #17 Kent State, has a base salary of $300,000. There just seems to be cheaper options available for NC State.

I would also question whether Morris even has enough connections from just being around the college game 3 years, and 2 in the Southeast, to put together a good coaching staff at NC State. NC State's Yow has also said their #1 priority is to find a "hardcore recruiter" who will "reinvigorate" their program. Does Morris really fit that role? I know he has had a role in recruiting some players, but according to Rivals, he has only been the primary recruiter for Brooks and Kelly last year, and Boulware and Leggett this year.

I am not saying that Morris wouldn't be a great head coach, but I just can't see him being NC State's first choice.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yow definitely isn't afraid to spend, the other things might

Nov 28, 2012, 11:59 PM

be an obstacle though.

State seems desperate and "ho"-ish. They snagged O'Brien

Nov 29, 2012, 1:15 AM

from Boston College which happened to also be in the same division, but now they are dissing him even after having another winning season. This is starting to seem like an ugly pattern. They need to go find their own coach and staff from some place else and try to build and do things right.

Re: State seems desperate and "ho"-ish. They snagged O'Brien

Nov 29, 2012, 7:29 AM

Wasn't Amato at FSU at the time of the hire? I know he is an NCSU alum though. I think Mike O'Cain may have been in the ACC coaching too.

Re: Will NC State really offer Morris enough money to leave

Nov 29, 2012, 12:52 AM

I agree with you. I don't think he'd be an impressive top choice for the reasons you stated. I also think they'd have to pay him $2 mil and I don't think they want to do that. They would be better off finding someone with HC experience.

How The ACC Could Realign Divisions To Preserve Tradition wp.me/p11wXK-J2

Stop using things like reasoning & logic in our panic room.

Nov 29, 2012, 12:57 AM

;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope he doesn't leave. "Coaching carousels" are deplorable

Nov 29, 2012, 1:07 AM

in my opinion, especially since it has trickled down so bad in college. Swapping coaches especially in conference seems in poor taste IMO, sends an odd message to student athletes and alumni, and the people that these coaches work with everyday.

I would like to see coaches get invested and really build or tend to something that they help create. I don't know how happy the coaches and their families are here, but I would hope that it's well enough to want to stay as long as they can.

You just brought up NCST's last 2 hires for failure were...

Nov 29, 2012, 1:18 AM

within the ACC without mentioning, you know? Wonder if State goes for strike #3?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, that dawned on me. It's like "Hey, let's steal that

Nov 29, 2012, 1:34 AM

good coach from a division rival so maybe they won't be as successful while we try to half-a$$ rebuild are own program." *L* Hasn't really been that successful so far, not for the longer haul.

Re: Will NC State really offer Morris enough money to leave

Nov 29, 2012, 1:10 AM

Sound reasoning! You are correct. It's a huge step from OC to head coach. Yow would not hire Morris at this time in his college career and Chad should be smart enough to refuse the job even if offered.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chad has as much experience as Dabo, so were we fools?....

Nov 29, 2012, 8:07 AM

15 years as a HC in Texas is the equivalent to coaching at some small schools like LA Tech. Also, I don't think Chad's contract is guaranteed meaning if Dabo gets fired next year, Clemson can buy him out for a minimal amount. HC would have more guaranteed money the term of the contract.

But realize, a good coach wants to be HC coach because they want the control. Malzahn left Auburn for less money to go to Arkansas St. Also, a good coach thinks they can win anywhere. NCSU has potential.

I'd be surprised if NC State didn't go out of the ACC for

Nov 29, 2012, 8:14 AM

the hire, and I believe they would want a proven winner as HC at the collegiate level. It just doesn't make any sense to can T.O., then pick up an OC, DC or anyone that doesn't have HC on his resume. Then again, very little in collegiate athletics makes any sense anymore to me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,936
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic