Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wifi help please
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Wifi help please

Jan 12, 2018, 8:32 AM

Gentlemen and Ladies. Greenr has a small problem at the house in that his wifi signal is weak when you get very far from the router. The palatial mansion is around 2200 SF and Greenr has looked at the new Google Wifi mesh system. Greenr doesn't WANT to spend $300 to boost his wifi to meet his needs, so I am wondering if you folks use a router that may cover more area or possibly you have a wifi mesh system that works well and you want me to know about it. Lastly, I also welcome people who would like to tell me to eat a peanus.

Original Wifi router was purchased when Greenr lived in a humble 1500 SF adobe hut.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make an aluminum foil antenna.***

Jan 12, 2018, 8:37 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

relax your jaw.

Jan 12, 2018, 8:37 AM

I'm looking to go bigger, too (lulz, aren't we all?)

Probably gonna go w/ Google Wi-fi because of everything I've read, it does what I need it to do (nothing too fancy, but I know I need port forwarding [even though i don't know what that is], and it does that, soooo)

however, ASUS just announced a firmware upgrade that will allow old(er) ASUS routers to be set up as a mesh network, so if you have one of them, maybe you look into that?

Also, there's something about MU-MIMO (you'll have to look that up)...Google Wi-Fi doesn't have this, supposedly....there are other single routers that do, and will cover 2200 sf palaces easily

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OH, and I highly recommend Powerline Adaptors

Jan 12, 2018, 8:39 AM

they have some w/ 4 ethernet ports, some with wifi repeaters...some with bofe, etc.

They changed my whirld a few years back

Those can be tricky though depending on the wiring...

Jan 12, 2018, 8:50 AM

in your house.

I tried some a few years ago with mixed results. My main issue was trying to jump the transformer to the other side of the breaker panel. I also have some surge protection installed in my panel that may have been causing some problems.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have also used those with success.

Jan 12, 2018, 1:15 PM [ in reply to OH, and I highly recommend Powerline Adaptors ]

In one house I was able to get Ethernet to my detached garage, over a separate 100 amp subpanel. Worked perfectly (to which I attached a wireless AP so I had wireless outside, too)

Oddly, in my current house (that was built in 2016), I can't the EOP adapters to work on the opposite side of the house.

Do you have ability to have ethernet connection....

Jan 12, 2018, 8:38 AM

in any room on the other side of the house from existing router?

And it is single story or 2 story?

No? and One Story.....did you not get that from palatial?***

Jan 12, 2018, 8:40 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Basically, the cable modem plugs in the wall and into the

Jan 12, 2018, 8:44 AM

router in one of the kid's bedrooms. That is the extent of the setup.

Maybe you should knock down a couple of walls

Jan 12, 2018, 8:48 AM

or get a WIFI extender

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would do this....

Jan 12, 2018, 8:48 AM [ in reply to No? and One Story.....did you not get that from palatial?*** ]

upgrade your existing router to something in the $100 range and it should cover your whole house with ease.

I would suggest:
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1750-Smart-Router/dp/B00R2AZLD2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515764364&sr=8-3&keywords=netgear%2Br6400&th=1

I've got this in our bonus room upstairs on the far end of the house and it covers 90% of the downstairs as well.

Prior to upgrading my router, after trying wireless repeaters, etc...for the downstairs, I installed one of these in the middle of my downstairs:
http://www.trendnet.com/products/wifi/N-access-points/N300/TEW-735AP

Works awesome. Essentially looks like a smoke detector and I could bring the access point closer to where most of the usage is.

I did that before my router died and I had to upgrade it to the above anyway.

And bought. Thanks!***

Jan 12, 2018, 9:00 AM

I got a booster antenna off of Amazon for $24

Jan 12, 2018, 8:49 AM

it didn't work

#UDP #toooldforthistechstuff

poot

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Re: Wifi help please

Jan 12, 2018, 8:51 AM

If possible, move the router to a central location in the house. That's what I did.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If I ever have to use this baby, I want to teach it to come to Papa in a hurry."

While we are in help mode.

I need a new UDP version of a Docsis Modem. The last one I bought is now considered out of date with Comcast so they can give me terrible service and blame it on me.

TIA

get bigger antennas for your router. Routers come with those dinky little antennas that don't have reach. I purchased bigger antennas and it doubled my range.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA91J4430749

lol at Router having an antenna.

Jan 12, 2018, 8:59 AM

Mine looks like this one (and may be this one)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004T9RR6I/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Many Cisco A/P's have antennas.

Jan 12, 2018, 1:19 PM

We have them all over the ceiling at work.

DISAPPOINTED.

Jan 12, 2018, 9:02 AM

Thought you needed help with the wifey. And you may need help with that, too. Tmail me with details. Also, girlsquirt is just pee, if that helps.

I upgraded my $40 router last year to this:

https://smile.amazon.com/D-Link-Wireless-AC1900-Gigabit-DIR-880L/dp/B00J8NCVX4/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1515765468&sr=8-20&keywords=d-link+router

19She was having connectivity issues in her office upstairs. This cured that issue. The only way I've slowed it down at all is trying to navigate through 3+ walls, or lots of brick (i.e., at an angle on a brick wall between the router and phone, for example). It's night and day difference from a cheap router.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I asked the wife the other night if she was interested in a

Jan 12, 2018, 9:06 AM

bull. She didn't understand. I'll keep you posted and thanks for the FYI on girlsquirt

LOOK AT ME! I GOT 2200 SF!***

Jan 12, 2018, 9:36 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: LOOK AT ME! I RENT 2200 SF!***

Jan 12, 2018, 9:40 AM

more like squatting***

Jan 12, 2018, 9:42 AM

It's yours until the forceably evict you after a long drawn

Jan 12, 2018, 9:48 AM

out legal battle. Good luck finding all the used needles, jerks.

How does he fit all those bra... er, offsprings in so small

Jan 12, 2018, 10:08 AM [ in reply to LOOK AT ME! I GOT 2200 SF!*** ]

a space?

Did you check the lent trap?***

Jan 12, 2018, 10:31 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

he gave that up***

Jan 12, 2018, 11:01 AM

Jan 12, 2018, 10:35 AM

My father in law is a super computer guru IT professional guy. His house is rigged up liked some sort of sci-fi movie. He gave SarahAdidas and I a google mesh system because he wasn't pleased with the wi-fi strenf when he was visiting us.

I didn't realize it was expensive, but yea it works really good. I have good wifi through my house, around the pool, my tool shed, pool house, and driveway. It reaches most of the way to the chickens and pigs. If I added another unit, I could probably bring them online as well.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

pigs?***

Jan 12, 2018, 11:01 AM

pigs for eating. chickens for F-ing.***

Jan 12, 2018, 11:04 AM

I love F-ing Chicken

Jan 12, 2018, 11:06 AM

Don't skimp on a router. That is your bottleneck.

Jan 12, 2018, 11:17 AM

Get a good 8021.11 AC router. The signals are much stronger than older routers among other benefits.

Money spent on a good router is money well spent. I would suggest you get one of their big gaming routers - RT-AC5300

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/Wireless-Routers-Products/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

802.11 AC***

Jan 12, 2018, 11:17 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Assuming the router can't be moved the simple fix would

Jan 12, 2018, 11:26 AM

be to just leave the router where it is and move your trailer a few yards. That way your router is more central and you'll get signal everywhere.

But the underpinning that is still in tact would get damaged

Jan 12, 2018, 12:02 PM

HARD PASS

goodgodmane do I have to solve EVERYTHING for you?

Jan 12, 2018, 12:04 PM

Just overpin the underpinning, move trailer, then underpin the overpin you put on the underpinning so as to reverse the effect of the original overpin and in turn recreate the first underpinning that was in tact.

You sound like you live in a trailer park with all that

Jan 12, 2018, 1:03 PM

knowledge and strong mexican accent

Re: I have a $30 Netgear range extender that still works

Jan 12, 2018, 12:00 PM

great.

Amazon and alike all day long

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic