Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My wife's first "visit" to Columbia...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 2,086

My wife's first "visit" to Columbia...

Sep 30, 2012, 11:31 PM

My family (wife and 8 month old boy) took a trip to Atlanta this weekend to watch the Braves and Chipper's last homestand.

As we headed through Columbia (coming from Charlotte), of course my 8 month old started fussing. We (by "we", I mean my wife as she had yet learned what stopping in Columbia entailed), had to pull off to change a diaper and get some lunch.

My wife, looking at GPS on her phone, said there are a few parks just off the interstate, to which I replied, "Honey, it's best if we not get off the interstate until we are outside the city limits (which seem to expand on a daily basis)".

The first "park" we passed, had barbed wire around it. Enough said.

The second park we stopped at, had a big water tank that said "Welcome to Columbia---or something like that" and was literally inside a correctional institute.

My wife then commented..."is all of Columbia like this"....to which I responded: "Unfortunately..yes."

My wife has never really understood (she's from Canada), my dislike of everything Gamecock...but now she has already decided that our 8 month old will never go to the ghetto that is USC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BRING IT!

Why would you go through Columbia to Atlanta?

Sep 30, 2012, 11:36 PM

It's much easier (and safer!) do go down 85 through Greenville

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have family outside of Augusta we were visiting.***

Sep 30, 2012, 11:37 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BRING IT!

I was getting ready to ask the same quesiton exactly

Sep 30, 2012, 11:53 PM [ in reply to Why would you go through Columbia to Atlanta? ]

85 through Greenville is the direct route, too. Why detour to ride through a cesspool?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll be dead and buried befre my child goes there

Oct 1, 2012, 12:36 AM

I lived all of ten minutes from their campus and could never stand it. Five Points is an area you go to if you have a death wish and the whole palce is a run down cesspool

I live near the cesspool and unfortunately work just outside

Oct 1, 2012, 7:59 AM

the city. I can tell you there are ZERO, NADA safe places. I don't live here by choice but was tricked into living here after marriage. I have visited many other US and foreign cities and none compare to the dumpster fire that is Cootlumbia. I have already told the wife that when I retire I am leaving a vapor trail for home and she can stay in Hades if she wants.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Heavyweight fights have their ring walks. CFB has Clemson's grandest entrance in sports."
Chris Fowler

Seems like a disproportionately large amount of bad areas

Oct 1, 2012, 8:27 AM

in Columbia for a city its size.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or maybe I should have said relatively few nice areas. That

Oct 1, 2012, 8:28 AM

might be a better way of describing that city.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Or maybe I should have said relatively few nice areas. That

Oct 1, 2012, 9:47 AM

Lexington, Irmo, and Blythewood are nice. Not many nice places to live downtown though.

Way too expensive for the house you get, and your always within 2 miles of 1 of the ghetto's, plus the public schools are not nearly as good as the suburbs I mentioned above.

Replies: 8
| visibility 2,086
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic