Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why the polls are meaningless.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 874

Why the polls are meaningless.

Oct 20, 2019, 4:32 PM

Meaningless as far as who gets into the playoffs. Since a committee decides the teams, not the polls, and the committee won't decide the teams until after the conference championship games are played, the polls are 100% meaningless.

All that matters is this: Control your own destiny.

Here is the question each team should answer: If we win out are we in the playoffs? If the answer is yes, it doesn't matter if you are ranked 1st or 15th in this week's polls.

By my quick perusal of the standings, not the polls, I see 11 teams that are guaranteed to be in the playoffs if they win out.

By conference:

ACC - Clemson
SEC - Bama, LSU, UF, UGA, Auburn
B1G: Ohio State, Penn State, Minnesota
Big 12: Oklahoma, Baylor

An undefeated conference champ will be in. If the SEC champ has 0 or 1 loss it will be in.

I didn't put Wisconsin in the list because a 1 loss B1G team may miss out to a 1 loss SEC team who doesn't win the championship.

Lotta football to be played. That list will dwindle each week as those teams lose. But, right now, all 11 of them are in control of their own destiny.

Style points are nice. High ranking in the polls are nice. But, in the end, it doesn't matter - as long as you win out.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why the polls are meaningless.

Oct 20, 2019, 4:45 PM

UGA ranked at No. 10 is probably the most laughable. I watched them last night and they are pathetic.
Lost to the coots and did not score against the lowly Kentucky Wildcats until late in the 3rd quarter.
Polls are so SEC biased they don't even try to hide it anymore.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why the polls are meaningless.

Oct 20, 2019, 5:20 PM

You make my point, I think.

It really doesn't matter if UGA is ranked 1, 10 or 20 at this point. If they lose another game, then their ranking may make a difference as to which bowl they end up in. But, if they win out (based on the way they played against USC and UK not very likely) then they will be in the playoffs.

As a fan, if you goal is to get your team to finish in the top 10 or top 20, then polls are meaningful. But, if you are a Clemson fan, then your mindset can be, "Go ahead. Rank us 10th, or 8th, or 3rd, or whatever." In the words of Dabo, "It don't matter."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 874
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic