Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone done Ancestry.com?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 345

Anyone done Ancestry.com?

Nov 30, 2018, 10:28 AM

How'd it turn out?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you really want to put your DNA in a government database???***

Nov 30, 2018, 10:36 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm thinking the news of that dude that got arrested for

Nov 30, 2018, 10:38 AM

murder out in CA based on a family member's DNA on Ancestry has really hurt their business model.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's why I've never done the DNA. Never will.***

Nov 30, 2018, 10:41 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saw an interesting stat the other day---it's actually too

Nov 30, 2018, 10:41 AM [ in reply to I'm thinking the news of that dude that got arrested for ]

late.

If you're planning on committing a crime involving DNA and you're a honkey, you waited too long.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/10/chances-dna-can-be-used-to-find-your-family-60-percent-and-rising/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly. I am not worried about myself committing a murder.

Nov 30, 2018, 10:41 AM [ in reply to I'm thinking the news of that dude that got arrested for ]

But what if a family member wants to? Who am I to help their capture by having my DNA in the database. I even think that the government is probably subsidizing marketing for those companies to promote the tests so they can get more people in the database.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why not? I put my DNA in your mother last night, Trebek.***

Nov 30, 2018, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Do you really want to put your DNA in a government database???*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IN

Nov 30, 2018, 10:52 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have 46,000 people in my family tree

Nov 30, 2018, 10:40 AM

I have fully documented back about 10 generations. Basically across the pond. There is a HUGE gedcom file out there with the entire royal lineage of Europe with like 10,000 people in it. If you can hook into that, then you can go WAY back. I hook into it 4 documented ways.

Anyway, Ancestry now sucks bawls IMO. For years they basically had PC software you could use to build your tree that interacted with their data online. Now they have everything online and you have to download a copy of your tree, and it doesn't include anything but text. In the software, you could have pictures, and records. Now the records are attached to the tree online on the website, but not ON YOUR PC, unless you painstakingly save everything and still use the software, which is what I do.

My advice, to do it right, is manage your tree with PC software on your computer. Use Ancestry for their data and save everything to your tree on your PC. If you rely on them to store your tree, just don't. You can't get it.

All three boys have a framed, poster-sized tree going back 9 generations. On the back is a CD with all the data. Maybe one day it will mean something to them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't afford to do it again.***

Nov 30, 2018, 10:43 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

I have

Nov 30, 2018, 10:46 AM

I'm 91% English
3% Jewish
2% Finish
2% Iberian

My Wife is 1% Senegal!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Out of curiosity, have you calculated how the

Nov 30, 2018, 10:49 AM

3% Jewish affects your tipping habits? Is it like "I dunno...10%? 12%? I don't want to reward this terrible service, but still...she deserves a little something."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought it explained why he did the DNA test

Nov 30, 2018, 10:54 AM

in the first place.

The 50% off sale was too good to resist.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

definitely makes me a better lawyer***

Nov 30, 2018, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Out of curiosity, have you calculated how the ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jew think so?***

Nov 30, 2018, 11:27 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The DNA tests don't seem to be as accurate as one might wish

Nov 30, 2018, 11:21 AM

https://www.sciencealert.com/nbc5-report-home-dna-kit-confuses-golden-retriever-for-human

https://gizmodo.com/report-a-dna-testing-company-could-not-tell-the-differ-1825715321

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Not bad. Only problem is that my thumb gets tired from

Nov 30, 2018, 11:39 AM

swiping right."

- mcLovin

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Replies: 16
| visibility 345
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic