Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is it that Clemson can't ever seem to have a really good
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,146

Why is it that Clemson can't ever seem to have a really good

Oct 27, 2013, 12:01 PM

o-line? We've had multiple coaches at this position, and obviously different players have come and gone over the years, but our o-line seldom if ever seems to be dominant. It's frustrating.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oline played good last year...

Oct 27, 2013, 12:07 PM

The issue isn't we haven't had a good line in 10 - 15 years. It's more of the oline will play good for a season, then play bad the next season. It's been more about being consistent from one season to the next. Losing one player on the Oline from last years team shouldn't have this much dramatic effect on the way the Oline is playing this year. If anything the Oline should be better this season, because we returned 4 of the 5 starters from last years Oline.

And don't forget one thing about our oline coaches and assistants in general. Up until hiring Morris and Venables, during the Prez Barker era we have been extremely cheap in the coaches we hire. So a lot of the assistant hires during the Prez Barker era weren't the best choices (Rob Spence, Kevin Steele, and many more).

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is it that Clemson can't ever seem to have a really good

Oct 27, 2013, 12:09 PM

Probably because we seem to
1) concentrate more on skilled positions
and take o-line men as they come.
2) need a better strength and conditioning coach.
Just two trains of thought.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2013, 12:12 PM

Both are wrong, but at least you're thinking.

Re: No, he isn't.***

Oct 27, 2013, 12:15 PM

Oct 27, 2013, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is it that Clemson can't ever seem to have a really good ]

While I agree on the assessment during the PB era, we lose out on way too many in state guys due to the perception of the SEC...O lineman look at the NFL draft numbers from a conference as well and see that most come from the SEC.....

We also aren't playing the best guys at certain positions, i.e. Battle at LT. Everyone knows that IB should be playing LT and BT should be playing right tackle, but for some reason we're sticking with SA and GT. GT just got married and has a baby on the way, so how in tuned do you think he is to playing football right now? SA is a good pass blocker but is very mediocre during the run. You have to have some guys with "attitude" on the o line, and IB brings that...now it's up to the coaches to play that "talent" and get it experienced.

man, do i ever agree with you.....

Oct 27, 2013, 12:34 PM

i totally "get" that OL is a lot of technique and footwork. got it, solid copy on that. What drives me nuts is the lack of violent push that we constantly get on the OL and have lacked for years. There are some plays that are simply drive blocking plays that you want to see OL hit to the whistle stops. BT does that, TS does that, nobody else does. IB is the guy who would as well, though i don't like the punch for what it was after the whistle. A very good friend of mine (actually not a friend but a former commanding officer, LOL) told me several years ago that OL play is 100 mental AND 100 percent physical attitude and will. You have got to have both going at once. He was a TE at Maryland from '85 to '89 and played against Clemson. His direct quote to me was this, "We hated playing Clemson because you were going to be sore for a week afterwards and they had the smartest, most physically ruthless O and D lines we'd see every year. Our coaches used Clemson film to show us how to be 100 percent mental and 100 percent physical on every play. They were animals on the line of scrimmage." You have got to have a smart center like Freeman and a bunch of BT's, TS's, and IB's up there and you like your chances in the running game even if you take a couple of personal fouls from time to time. You have to maul folks up there.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chad Morris Says He Is Correct

Oct 27, 2013, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is it that Clemson can't ever seem to have a really good ]

Chad Morris states, please see Morris's post Maryland comments, that we are getting beat at the point of attack and you don't think that's a S&C issue. Are you related to Joey Batson?

Re: Chad Morris Says He Is Correct

Oct 27, 2013, 12:52 PM

ABSOLUTELY!!! we simply do not DEVELOP PLAYERS

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2013, 12:27 PM

Because we go after the skill positions. We should lay the foundation of good lines and build our team on this. Not vice versa. Look at the commits we have. Not one 4 star or 5 star player for O or D lines. Not one.

Partly because of our recruiting focus and partly because

Oct 27, 2013, 12:28 PM

of how some of our top offensive line recruits have panned out. Spencer Region is one who comes to mind that was a top recruit but hasn't really done much. But it seems like Morris is getting his way with some better recruits in the last class and the next one. A few more linemen of pretty high caliber are coming in - no, not 5 stars, but still high caliber.

Oct 27, 2013, 12:43 PM

Lack of talent and poor coaching including the S&C coordinator.

Oct 27, 2013, 12:51 PM

we seem to put more effort into other positions.. IMHO every game is won/lost @ the line of schrimage!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,146
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic