Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is it our university is settling on being bad in basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1,469

Why is it our university is settling on being bad in basketball

Mar 1, 2016, 8:56 PM

We throw all this money for football to get coaches and recruit at a high level but we won't fork out anything to get a decent bball coach! Congrats Clemson on being mediocre at best yet again! That's what happens when u get a no name coach in a high profile conference who recruits 2-3 star players! Ask dabo why our football team is Too deep BC we recruit at a high level! If you think a new gym will make a difference your a blind fool. It's time for something to change at clemson. Either petition for new conference refs , new offensive coach, new recruiting coach, new head coach.... Somthing!!!!! Because Clemson has been getting worse and worse in basketball people

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is it our university is settling on being bad in basketball

Mar 1, 2016, 8:57 PM

lol congrats on one of the most idiotic posts of the night.

Comparing recruiting in Basketball to recruiting in Football for Clemson is just moronic. They arent even close to the same game.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Clemson can be, and should expect to be much better

Mar 1, 2016, 9:07 PM

than this in basketball. Extended or perennial mediocrity should never be acceptable.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Clemson can be, and should expect to be much better

Mar 1, 2016, 9:10 PM

I agree that we can be better. I never said that but to compare the ease of recruiting players to Clemson for Football to the ease of getting them here for Bball is just dumb.

Clemson Football facilities are probably top 2 in the ACC. Clemson Bball facilities even with the massive renovation to LJ are still barely going to be in the upper half.

Clemson Tradition in Football compared to Basketball

Clemson fan support in Football compared to Basektball

Agreed, but that can change and we should expect it to.

Mar 1, 2016, 9:27 PM

Good recruits would come to play basketball at Clemson if they thought Clemson was serious about basketball and they could win big. That takes a coach they believe can win big, and top notch facilities. We don't have a winning tradition to sell, but we have or can have everything else, and the right coach could sell all of that along with the opportunity to be part of something special as that winning tradition is established.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Mar 1, 2016, 11:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson can be, and should expect to be much better ]

It's not dumb. We employed a coach for a decade in football who had the exact same defeatist attitude about recruiting. Take a minute and actually look at the recruiting rankings on Rivals for the years Bowden was the head coach. Most of them were dreadful.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2016, 9:15 PM [ in reply to Clemson can be, and should expect to be much better ]

absolutely correct!!!!!!!!!! there is just no reason that we have to be this bad in baskb.tonight we threw away or fumbled away 8 passes in to the post!next game BB should just tell the guys if they think they should throw the ball into the post just send the other 3 guys down to out end and throw the ball out of bounds

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2016, 9:40 PM [ in reply to Clemson can be, and should expect to be much better ]

Did you even watch the game?

Do you know UVA is ranked #4 in country?

Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.

I'm not just talking about UVA. I'm talking about the fact

Mar 1, 2016, 11:31 PM

that it has become normal and expected for us to be on the outside looking in. Lord have mercy, if we should actually get invited to the dance, we'd frame that invitation and hang it on the wall, and it wouldn't even matter if we showed up or not. Mission accomplished, let the celebration begin! I mean, that's all we can really expect, because we've never been good at basketball; we're a football school in the middle of nowhere, so it's foolish to think we have anything to offer really good basketball players. Therefore we will never be good in basketball, so we need to accept that middle of the pack is it most years, and every now and then, with a few breaks, we might get invited to the dance. We won't get to dance with any of the pretty girls, mind you, but we'll be satisfied to get a sip of punch while standing in the shadows.

That's the mentality I get from a lot of folks, and I don't agree with it. That's what I'm talking about.

- H. L. Mencken

Mar 1, 2016, 9:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Why is it our university is settling on being bad in basketball ]

Oh wait your the guy sitting on the couch watching TV while I'm out at every home game supporting my team who I want to get better! Excuse me for wanting a good basketball team and tired of watching the same results! You want to know how pathetic you are: look up the definition of insanity: doing the same thing expecting different results. Welcome to that croud!

Mar 1, 2016, 9:11 PM

First off its "you're" second off I never said I was happy with this season. I simply said comparing recruiting in bball at Clemson to football is idiotic. It in fact is idiotic.

Agreed! Nobody's happy w/the state of our basketball program

Mar 1, 2016, 9:52 PM

But, the uphill battle to compete consistently in the ACC is massive.

Those who think that recruiting in football as one of the King Pins of the conference is in any way comparable to recruiting in the ACC in basketball as a lifelong poor relation is just living in a dream world.

And to those who say that "a new gym" for the basketball program (and it's a LOT more than that) won't help recruiting simply have not watched the upward trajectory of our football recruiting since the West End Zone was Announced (not completed, just announced) and now that the proposed new football building is on the books and set to begin construction, recruiting is going inter-stellar.

Of course, the facilities wouldn't be nearly as effective without the high-powered recruiting acumen of Dabo and his folks, but Dabo would readily admit that the WEZ was the catalyst that kick started our current success in recruiting.

At this point it is looking more and more as if Brad Brownell is not the coach to get the job done at Clemson. But, this does not mean that the next coach will be any more effective or successful.

Brad Brownell will be the Clemson coach next season. That's not really in doubt. And he'll pretty much know that his future revolves around significant improvement or he'll be fired.

Then Clemson will start all over again ... but this time around, the fact that Clemson has finally given a significant amount monetary support to the basketball program just may attract a candidate who will see Clemson as more than a stepping stone.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait... Is basketball season almost over?

Mar 1, 2016, 9:00 PM

Awesome! That means we're that much closer to football season!!!

Message was edited by: Francis Marion®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

^^^This^^^***

Mar 1, 2016, 9:18 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2016, 11:18 PM

Because, as evidenced by these forums, the average Clemson fan is perfectly okay with sucking at basketball.

Mar 2, 2016, 7:24 AM

Haven't you ever heard... "Clemson Basketball: just something to do between Football and Baseball seasons"!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chicken-Killin I hate them dirt pecking birds (except on a plate...)

Replies: 15
| visibility 1,469
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic