Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is FSU different than SoCal, TN,Ark, UCLA
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,780

Why is FSU different than SoCal, TN,Ark, UCLA

Sep 16, 2019, 1:10 PM

I assume it's b/c FSU is a divisional and conference foe. Good reasoning; I guess! If you want that team that is perfectly able to beat you any given season. Which I get that.

But, dang, no comments about Jeremy Pruitt being in over his head at TN. A place with a stadium that holds over a hundred thousand. Pretty decent recruits to work with and all. In fact, I think he has a top 3 class in there somewhere.
Chad Morris - love him for how he guided CU - but Arkansas needed a 4th qtr drive to beat Portland State and actually lost to vaunted North Texas last year and has failed to show progress. Lots of resources and access there as well.
UCLA and Southern Cal - these two pick and what's left is for the rest of the PAC 12 to squabble over. But, Chip Kelly and Clay Helton still have jobs. No talk about the job being too much for them!

Just wondering - because I couldn't care less about if FSU is good or not! They aren't the only school in the ACC who is not living up to potential. Is it the spirit of competition that some people want FSU good? Or have they maybe forgotten WTaggert inherited an absolute dumpster fire Jimbo Fisher left? FSU being good really doesn't help Clemson outside of having a guaranteed opponent within the division to beat and get more "poll cred" from. Otherwise, they sign players we want from Fla. I just don't see the benefit and why so much pile on about how much of a dumpster fire FSU is. Plenty of dumpster fires out there.

ACC team I guess. But, look around if that's the case.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is FSU different than SoCal, TN,Ark, UCLA

Sep 16, 2019, 1:18 PM

The difference is talent. FSU recruits Top 5 classes every year when they are clicking, and it's usually Top 3. Even when they're "down" in recruiting, they're landing Top 10 classes. Even USC doesn't have that kind of success in recruiting. Arkansas and Tennessee don't come close. FSU should go 9-3 with a tackling dummy as Head Coach... and Willie Taggart went 5-7 last year and should probably be 0-3 this year. THAT is why they are different.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2019, 1:31 PM

Agree. Even with Jimbo's quitting on the team and not recruiting at all his last year here, we have as good a talent as anybody on our schedule except Clemson. (We may be slightly below uf, but not much.)

I posted a quote from Brent Venables on our board, from his post game presser Saturday. "We want to play well. If our guys don't play well, we haven't done a good job coaching." (Doing that from memory, it might not be exact words, but close.)

Well, FSU hasn't played well since Taggart has been the coach. Last year he talked about changing the culture. We assumed he meant improving discipline and cutting down on stupid penalties. Now, we see a WR who puts on a Halloween mask after scoring a touchdown and prancing on the sideline. ("Scary Terry")

Our LBs and DBs appear lost on most plays. Our DC insists on playing press man coverage with no deep help. Dabo and the two OCs have to be salivating at the prospects. I predict TL will have 5 TD passes and 350 yards in the first half.

Coaching matters. Heck, Les Miles has taken Kansas to a 2-1 record in his first three games. There are at least 20 coaches who would have FSU at 3-0 now and at least 20 more who would have us at 2-1.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2019, 1:34 PM

The biggest difference is in the recruiting ground.

Sure California has tons of players, but they are so spread out that other teams have always been able to come in a grab talent out of the state. The LA area can't support two major programs while having some top players leaving.

Arkansas and Tennessee don't have states that can support programs at a high level. They have to rely on going into other states to take players. Their major problem is that they aren't at the level of the programs in the surrounding states so they are getting the second tier players from other states.

The top players leaving Florida for other states is a relatively new thing. Also some of the top players are now choosing UCF. Instead of splitting players between 3 schools in state, it has become 4 and now more and more players are heading to other states to play in college. The walls fell down around Florida and none of the 3 major programs have compensated at this point.

FSU has the most recent high level success and for some reason FSU fans thought that Jimbo was losing on purpose or something and that is wasn't a program issue. They thought Taggart would come in a revive them immediately.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

arkansas was left bare

Sep 16, 2019, 1:36 PM

here you have a guy in his second season trying to run a no huddle spread with slow line up in the I and run the ball players.

FSU & USC are loaded

Sep 16, 2019, 1:37 PM

UCLA is not

Fatboy turned Arky into a slowa$$ed BIG 10 team, Chad will need 4 recruiting classes. They knew that going in.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Re: FSU & USC are loaded

Sep 16, 2019, 6:17 PM

Exactly what I am getting at: Most coaches get at least 3 - 4 years before they get the hammer! In this case, people want him gone "TODAY". I seem to recall he took the job after the job late so his actual 1st class is on campus now as Freshmen.
Clay Helton and Jeremy Pruitt have no excuses either if that's the case; and they have been on the job longer!

I want FSU to stink it up at all times! Let someone else be good in the division.

Just seems other coaches are getting a pass on their mediocrity to down right miserable success.

I'd much rather see the Coastal Division improve than to

Sep 16, 2019, 1:40 PM

... see a resurgent Florida State in the Atlantic Division.

The ACC Championship Game needs to mean something.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure what you're talking about...

Sep 16, 2019, 1:46 PM

First, taggart is going to get more attention here because FSU is in our conference/division and we play them every year.

That said, Helton's seat may be hotter than Taggart's and definitely was coming into the year. Just look at the Flowe predictions on Rivals and Mike Farrell keeps saying that he think Flowe will end up at USC because Helton will be fired and they'll bring in a big name like Urb. But, after they beat Fresno and Stanford to start the year, Helton's hot seat had cooled a bit. Helton also won the Pac 12 and played in the Cotton Bowl just two years ago. Hard to believe but true. Still, their schedule the next 4-5 weeks is brutal so if they're 2-4 or so after 6, he's likely gone, especially now that Swann is out.

This is only Morris's second season at Arky. But unlike Taggart, he did not inherit a talented team and the talent there did not match his scheme, so almost like starting over. Have to give him a few years, especially in the SEC West, before we deem him in over his head. And, he is currently recruiting well despite his lack of early success.

Pruitt may be in over his head but this is still only his second year as a HC and second year into the job. And again, not like he inherited a wildly talented team. So he will get at least another year and then the heat will be turned up. But yeah, there has already been speculation that Fat Phil will return to the sideline to coach.

UCLA is a train wreck. Chip Kelly is also only in his second year, is owed a lot of money and he just doesn't care. He has been wildly successful before but doesn't look like that success will be repeated whether it's because everyone now runs a similar offense and/or defenses have caught up. Plus, he does not like recruiting (never has) and (from someone who lived in Westwood for two years) the fact that UCLA plays home games 45 minutes from their campus is a real deterrent for anyone to actually attend home games. Still, you just can't compare UCLA to FSU in football.

I don't get the whole dumpster fire talking point for

Sep 16, 2019, 2:01 PM

willlie to take over. The only issues were communication b/t athletic dept. and the school leadership on budgetary concerns and their offensive line. Where else exactly was the dumpster fire?

They had and still have NFL Talent littered up and down their lineup. in 2017 they signed 3 of the top 5 players in teh country and another 5 star RB too boot. Marvin Wilson? (#2 overall player in rivals), Cam Akers (3# overall in rivals) these are two studs but go up and down that lineup for a second for this year and last years team and you'll be surprised at how much elite talent they had/have. 2017 (#5) 2018 (#10), 2019 (#19). These are all the guys on this team now. And i would say Francois was a pretty good QB and was just not used well last year.

All that to say...don't buy this Jimbo left the cupboard bare crap. That cupboard was very healthy. O-line was bad and that should've been it. Now thats a huge part of it but...they have no excuse to fall as far as they have. It is mismanagement and apathy. Those guys dont' respect Taggart i guess.

Re: I don't get the whole dumpster fire talking point for

Sep 16, 2019, 6:21 PM

B/C they had the worst OL in college football with all that NFL talent. And they finished 5-6. That was Jimbo Fisher at the helm not Willie Taggert. 5 - 6 2017

It’s ludicrous Helton is on the hotseat.

Sep 16, 2019, 2:39 PM

If Swann was ousted because he wouldn’t fire Helton then good for Lynn. He won 10 and 11 games his first 2 years. He finished 57 w a FR qb last year. He would prob be 3-0 had that QB not got hurt in the first game forcing him to go with another FR this year. They easily could be 3-0 instead of 2-1 even with having to play the new FR QB

Sep 16, 2019, 3:02 PM

I also think he has character issues that will take time to fix.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,780
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic