Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is 76 also 28, but usually called 76 in Clemson but 28 in Anderson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,991

Why is 76 also 28, but usually called 76 in Clemson but 28 in Anderson

Apr 13, 2020, 9:47 PM

Then in Anderson there are two 28s running running parallel to each other. It's the most confusing highway descriptions ever.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is 76 also 28, but usually called 76 in Clemson but 28 in Anderson

Apr 13, 2020, 9:51 PM

A business and truck 28 that runs concurrently with the 76 for a while? Driven through there plenty but basically do it by memory.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is this a math word problem and

Apr 13, 2020, 10:11 PM

If so, is it geometry...or trig? Calculus is out, since there was no reference to infinity...(or beyond). The 'concurrent' is throwing me off, by the way...or is that a corollary? Please, thought, tell me that's not algebra!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is this a math word problem and

Apr 13, 2020, 10:30 PM

He’s taliking about Highway 28 and 76 being the same road for a while.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Apr 13, 2020, 10:31 PM [ in reply to Is this a math word problem and ]

I think I’m having a coronary.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 14, 2020, 8:20 AM [ in reply to Is this a math word problem and ]

Any parents who have survived middle school math in the last 6-8 years know that's one of the basic precepts of the core curriculum. Numbers must search for their identity.

Apr 13, 2020, 10:32 PM

One is 28 by-pass the other is the main road 28.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Did you know that I85 is also SC29 in multiple locations

Apr 13, 2020, 10:33 PM

in multiple counties while also intersecting itself in some spots. It's mind blowing. The old Route 66 is also part of I40 in some parts as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bruce Hornsby wrote a song about Hwy 76/28

Apr 13, 2020, 10:49 PM

“That’s Just the Way It Is”

Apr 13, 2020, 11:10 PM

This is common in America.

76 is a US highway, designated by the white shield. It must meet Federal highway standards of traffic flow and can be maintained with federal money.

28 is a state highway, designated by the oval around the number. Many state highways have always functioned as the main streets of small towns and cities, which grew large enough that their downtown areas are not really compatible with tractor trailers hauling through rural areas. Therefore, the state built bypass highways with the same numbers--they are just designated as "bypass" or "truck route"--so a trucker in the old days didn't have to memorize a bunch of new numbers. He can get on 28 in GA (the two states cooperated in keeping the same number on the same road, but since it's a state road, there is no requirement for that) and stay on 28 and every time he sees a bypass or "truck route" he knows it will eventually rejoin the main road.

When Interstate highways also have US highway numbers, supposedly it's temporary. But we all know better. Some have been temporary for 50 years.

The interstate highways were intended to be a separate system and an upgrade over the US highway system that preceded it. But there are many places where it is not physically possible to build a second and more express roadway. (through mountains, across rivers, in highly settled urban areas). So they upgrade the US highway to interstate standards if possible and then allow the new road to keep it's old number. Lots of old maps still in existence.

Why do Clemson and Anderson residents refer to the same road differently? The same reason you call your girlfriend something different than her teachers or parents do--it's just a matter of perspective.

Apr 14, 2020, 12:14 AM

I had a hard time getting out of basic math so I can't help.

It's so refreshing to see an informed, well-thought out post

Apr 14, 2020, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is 76 also 28, but usually called 76 in Clemson but 28 in Anderson ]

Thanks.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like over reach, forcing the names of roads on you

Apr 14, 2020, 8:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Why is 76 also 28, but usually called 76 in Clemson but 28 in Anderson ]

My advice would be to maintain them yourselves and then you can call them whatever you like.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A highway engineer who graduated from SC in.......

Apr 14, 2020, 8:52 AM

Columbia is the person who designed all of this. He's since been fired.

Apr 14, 2020, 9:18 AM

I know a man who cannot grasp the concept of "city limits" and "counties". He sees some deep complexity over the question of "Where the city ends and where the county begins." He seems sure no one else understands his "illogical mystery" either.

I assume the guy I know authored the "question" about hwy 76 and hwy 28.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,991
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic